Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anka
    • Mar 2017

Temple food

Cooking is a something I really enjoy and has been a core of my practice lately.

I was wondering if anyone knew of some "temple food" recipes and would be willing to share.

Gassho, Jim
    SAT/LAH

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Hi Jim

I am not sure if you would consider it temple food but one of my favourite cookbooks is The Tassajara Recipe Book from the Tassajara Zen Center in California.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Kokuu
      Hi Jim

I am not sure if you would consider it temple food but one of my favourite cookbooks is The Tassajara Recipe Book from the Tassajara Zen Center in California.

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday-
      Hmm, nice ... I wonder if it is similar to this one that I have, https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tass.../dp/1590308298. I also have this one which is nice too https://www.amazon.com/Tassajara-Coo..._&dpSrc=detail.

I did have this one back in the day, but gave it away https://www.amazon.com/Tomato-Blessi...dish+Teachings.

But also, any food can be temple food ... as there is no difference from home food to temple food, to food from your grandma, to food from a friend. All food is temple food, is food to nourish this body if we see it as such. =)

Gassho
      Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Seido
        • May 2015

I really like this book for cooking.

Gassho,
        Seido
        SatToday
        The strength and beneficence of the soft and yielding.
        Water achieves clarity through stillness.

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Soto-shu also has a few recipes online.

I have been at monasteries in Japan where the food is very rough: brown rice and pickles with brown greens for breakfast, pickles with brown rice and rough greens for lunch, rough greens and pickles with brown rice for dinner (technically, the latter called "medicine", as we are not supposed to eat "dinner") ...

And I have sat at the Head Temples like Sojiji, where I can only describe the Shojin vegetarian cooking as artful.

Of course, monks should have "mouths like furnaces", and just take in without judgments whatever is place in our bowls.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is even a Michelin rated Shojin Ryori restaurant in Tokyo ... although dinner there (I have not been) will require a little money ...

Last edited by Jundo; 10-06-2017, 03:18 AM.
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

PPS - You may also be interested in the Buddhist chef from Korea, profiled on a netflix show recently ...

Originally posted by pthwaites
            Hello all,

I'd like to recommend a TV documentary which is playing now on Netflix, about Jeong Kwan, a Buddhist nun from Korea who has become internationally famous for her traditional temple cooking. The show is Episode 1 of the third series of the show Chef's Table. Although the show is aimed at a foodie audience, it is very respectfully made and pays great attention to the philosophy and monastic life of monks and nuns in Korea. It also contains some wonderful nuggets on the role of food and cookery in monastic and lay Buddhist life and practice.

Sadly, you'll need to have access to Netflix in order to watch it, but if you don't have that, you can read about Jeong Kwan in either of the two following articles:

The most exquisite food in the world, say many celebrated chefs, is being made not in Copenhagen or New York, but in a remote temple complex south of Seoul by a 59-year-old Buddhist nun.

Gassho,

Sat today

Peter
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Meitou
              • Feb 2017

This gorgeous looking book is on my wish list...https://www.amazon.it/Kansha-Celebra...ese+vegetarian

Gassho
              Frankie

satwithyoualltoday/lah
              命 Mei - life
              島 Tou - island

Comment

• Anka
                • Mar 2017

Would have gotten back to you all earlier but alas I did not sit yesterday.

Thank youvall for the wonderful links, perhaps as christmas rolls around a few shall make it to the bookshelf.

Jundo, chef's table is one of my favorite shows and of course that episode in particular is a highlight. He amount of care she put into everthing she made and the respect she has for each ingredient is fantastic. Perhaps one day I can approach that level of mindfulness while cooking.

Jim/sat/lah

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...