X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David
    • Jun 2017

Directions for a beginner

Sat today.
    Last edited by David; 08-05-2017, 05:43 AM. Reason: To add sat today.
    I yam what I yam, that's all that I yam.
    Popeye.
  • Mp

Originally posted by David
    Hello, I hope I'm in the correct forum for this post, apologies if not. I took refuge 10 or so years ago in the Sakya sect of Tibetan Buddhism and am only recently returned to practice. Zen Buddhism is very new to me, and I must confess to finding the terminology and practice much different to what was I was used to and a little difficult to understand. I'm not the cleverest of people, so it takes me time to understand things (I'm ok with not being particularly clever, I'm happy and I accept it, I'm not looking for comfort or kind words ). I'm trying to limit my internet access, Jundo's videos have been a great source of information around practice etc, but I'm wondering if anyone could kindly point me in the direction of some off line resources around Zen Buddhism. Many Thanks.

Sat today.
    Hello David,

If you are looking at offline material, have you check out our Book List? There might be something in there that is helpful.

Book List: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...REELEAF-SANGHA

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

I want to mention that I am very much digging this new book ... although I am only 1/3 through, I will already recommend ...

Expect a pretty good review by me in the near future. A good introduction for newer folks.

What Is Zen?
      PLAIN TALK FOR A BEGINNER’S MIND
      By NORMAN FISCHER and SUSAN MOON
      An thorough introduction to Zen Buddhist practice—in a reader-friendly question-and-answer format—by two highly regarded teacher-writers This unique introduction to Zen teaching and practice...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

There is an audio version from Audible.com if you like to listen when you drive around. I liked it a lot.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Kokuu
          Treeleaf Priest
          • Nov 2012

Hi David

I came here from Geluk, Kagyu and Nyingma Buddhism. Sakya was the only one I didn't get to!

It takes time to adjust to the different terminology but there is a lot of familiar material too.

The Zen Studies Podcast of Domyo Burk is a pretty good starting place: https://zenstudiespodcast.com/. Also our current book club book is a great introduction to some of the central chants.

Deep bows for your practice
          Kokuu
          -sattoday/LAH-

Comment

Working...