X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mp
    • Oct 2024

Fear: Friend or Foe?

Hello Treeleafers,

Is the fear we face friend or foe? Can it be helpful to us or just down right awful? I feel it can be both and really depends on how we look at it and how we allow it to influence our lives. Let me start off with a little story about an experience when I came face to face with fear and how our practice of just being present and accepting of such conditions just as they are helped me overcome and become comfortable within fear.

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

When I lived in Alberta Canada I would spend every weekend out in the mountains, climbing and scrambling up these giants. The adventures were more than just physical challenges, they were also mental challenges. They helped me see and experience life in a new, raw, and authentic way. Just like in life, we walk different paths up the same mountain, but sometimes those paths are easy and laid out in front of us, sometimes they are ruff and littered with obstacles, and we must struggle to find our way. Regardless of what the path may bring, we stick with it. We do our very best to experience the experiences with a complete wholeness, everything open and transparent.

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

So we were scrambling up Mt. Niblock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Niblock), which is in Lake Louise, Alberta Canada, and then traversing over to Mt. Whyte (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Whyte). It is an amazing scramble with some spectacular views. However there is a very thin and jagged ridge line that connects the two and on the day we decided to traverse that ridge a storm had rolled in. But of course mother nature being mother nature she decided to let the lightning strikes rain down on us when we were halfway through the ridge line. There is an interesting thing that goes through your mind when you play out in the mountains. You are very aware and respectful of that environment and do your very best to be safe and yet at the same time, in the back of your mind you know it could be your last day. So here we are stuck facing the decision of what to do, where to go, and how to get that done. But as you can expect, “fear” was right there knocking at the door! Your body shivered, your mind was racing from this thought to that thought, but at the same time, you KNEW where you were and you KNEW what to do. Even in the grips of fear, there was stillness, there was focus, an awareness of each foot placement, each hand hold.

Just like in Shikantaza, be present and accepting of all that arises, neither clinging to things we want or a state of mind that we wish to attain, or pushing away those unwanted thoughts, feelings, or present states of being. The more we just sit the easier it becomes to allow this natural flow and likewise, how naturally thoughts, ideas, and aversions will fall away on their own … but it takes time and it takes effort. I have to be honest and say that without sitting, without zazen, I am not sure if I could be as present and accepting as I am in the mountains … and in life for that matter. Practice supports my life and life supports my practice … each are not separate from one another. So regardless of whether you are scaling large mountain tops or just facing uncertainty in life, try your best to be open and accepting of whatever condition is in front of you. Like all things in life it will change in time, fear, sadness, even joy are impermanent too.

And remember, no matter where you go zazen is always there, and when life gets tough, just sit. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

SatToday/LAH
  • Geika
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jan 2010

Very true, nice post. I have felt that too: the fear is there, but you know what needs to be done. When you're not in it, you think, "I have no idea how I could handle that," but as it is happening, you are in it, you act. Thoughts racing, you push forward anyway.

Thank you,
    gassho, sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Kyotai

Thank you Shingen, your comments are very helpful. Thank you for your practice.

Gassho, Kyotai
      ST

Comment

• Jakuden
        • Jun 2015

Thank you for the lesson, Shingen! Such truth. Gosh I had some moments like that in the Adirondacks, too. Once our trail was washed out by a sudden storm, and we had to shimmy across a steep waterfall on a log about 10 inches in diameter! There is that in-the-moment fear, determination, and also an exhilaration when confronting danger... it's what the adrenaline is there in the first place for, after all. Perhaps I will try to see if I can find a bit of that concentration and exhilaration in the anxiety of a busy day at work [emoji848]Our lives are so far removed from the situations that our bodies evolved to cope with.

Deep bows.
        Gassho
        Jakuden
        SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Enjaku
          • Jul 2016

Thanks Shingen, wise words indeed.
          This is a strong rationale for embracing uncertainty. I may borrow your mountain ridge story as a metaphor in therapy.

There is a famous ridge here in the UK called 'Striding Edge', just below the summit of Helvellyn. Terrifying but definitely makes you feel alive! (unless you're one of the unfortunate few who fall off and die every year...)

600_460020543.jpeg

Gassho,
          Enjaku
          Sat LAH
          援若

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Enjaku
            This is a strong rationale for embracing uncertainty. I may borrow your mountain ridge story as a metaphor in therapy.
            If you find it helpful or helpful for others, please do. =)

Gassho
            Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Kyonin
              Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
              • Oct 2010

Thank you brother.

Lovely teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
              Sat/LAH
              Hondō Kyōnin
              奔道 協忍

Comment

• Tairin
                • Feb 2016

Very nice. Thank you.

I had a similar experience climbing a mountain out in BC with my wife. We weren't prepared properly but once we got so far it was just as much effort going down as continuing up. I definitely felt very present at that moment.

Gassho
                Warren
                Sat/LAH today
                泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Joyo

Thank you for the teaching, Shingen.

I faced these sorts of fears when in Canmore last week. We went Whitewater rafting. I was terrified, so much so I had tears in my eyes and the guide let me sit beside him and kept a close watch on me. Ever since I was a small child I have had a fear of water, specifically a fear of drowning. I never swim, and suddenly I was on a raft with waves.

I am very glad I got into that raft though. Like you said, our practice supports our life, and I used this experience to let my practice support my fears.

Gassho,
                  Joyo
                  sat today/lah
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Jakuden
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Joyo

I faced these sorts of fears when in Canmore last week. We went Whitewater rafting. I was terrified, so much so I had tears in my eyes and the guide let me sit beside him and kept a close watch on me. Ever since I was a small child I have had a fear of water, specifically a fear of drowning. I never swim, and suddenly I was on a raft with waves.

I am very glad I got into that raft though. Like you said, our practice supports our life, and I used this experience to let my practice support my fears.

Gassho,
                    Joyo
                    sat today/lah
                    Wow impressive Joyo [emoji120]
                    Gassho
                    Jakuden
                    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Joyo

Gassho,
                      Joyo
                      sat today/lah
                      I am glad you overcame and had a good time out on the water. Fear is a funny thing and can help and guide us, but can also lead us astray ... I am glad it did the former and not the ladder. =)

Gassho
                      Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Joyo

Thank you Jakuden and Shingen. Yes, fear is a funny thing. Logically, I was safer on that raft than I was in my car driving there. But my mind certainly didn't see things that way because, for some reason, it's been programmed to believe that being in water is danger.

Gassho,
                        Joyo
                        sat today/lah

Comment

• Doshin
                          • May 2015

Thank you. Fear arises with many faces.

Doshin
                          st/lah

Comment

• Margherita
                            • May 2017

Thank you Shingen,
                            I will keep it in mind during challenging days.

Gassho

Sat today

Comment

• Washin
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Dec 2014

Thank you for the good teaching, Shingen

Gassho
                              Washin
                              just sat
                              Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                              Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                              ----
                              I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                              and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

Working...