• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY April 30th with DAVID LOY

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Zen teacher, philosopher, environmentalist, futurist and author DAVID LOY will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk NEXT SUNDAY April 30th, LIVE from Colorado and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about David ...

David Robert Loy is a professor, writer, and Zen teacher in the Sanbo Kyodan tradition of Japanese Zen Buddhism. He is a prolific author, whose essays and books have been translated into many languages. His articles appear regularly in the pages of major journals such as Tikkun and Buddhist magazines including Tricycle, Turning Wheel, Shambhala Sun and Buddhadharma, as well as in a variety of scholarly journals. David lectures nationally and internationally on various topics, focusing primarily on the encounter between Buddhism and modernity: what each can learn from the other. He is especially concerned about social and ecological issues. ... David Loy is one of the founding members of the new Rocky Mountain Ecodharma Retreat Center, near Boulder, Colorado. In addition to many scholarly papers and popular articles, Loy is the author of several books on comparative philosophy and social ethics, including:

The Great Awakening: A Buddhist Social Theory develops the social implications of Buddhist teachings for our understanding (and response to) collective forms of dukkha (suffering). Today the "three poisons" – greed, ill will, and delusion – have been institutionalized. There are discussions of poverty, economic development, and corporate capitalism; Buddhist perspectives on the war on terror, our criminal justice system, and the connection between Zen and war; and essays addressing technology, deep ecology, and our relationship with the biosphere.

Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution is a series of short essays that begins with the essential teaching of the Buddha: the connection between suffering and the delusive (sense of) self, usually experienced as a sense of lack. Subsequent essays discuss the implications for the ways we understand money, fame, karma, food, sexuality and romantic love, consumerism, ecology, war, and social engagement.

The World Is Made of Stories is a sequence of "micro-essays" and quotations that offer a new way of understanding Buddhism and a new Buddhist understanding of the Way, consistent with what Buddhism says about the human predicament and how it can be resolved. If the self is composed of the stories one identifies with and attempts to live, karma is not what the self has but what the sense of self becomes, as we play habitual roles within stories perceived as objectively real.

A New Buddhist Path is in three parts, which address the meaning of enlightenment, the nature of evolution, and the nonduality of individual and social transformation.

The festivities will begin at 11:00 am NEW YORK TIME SUNDAY (that is America West Coast 8:00am, Colorado 9:00am, London 4:00pm and Paris 5:00pm, all SUNDAY APRIL, 30th).
    THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following although please be prepared for some flexibility and the possibility to run a little long: perhaps 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by David for 25 minutes or so, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I would like to fill our hangout(s) and show David a big turnout. Depending on demand, we will have one or two hangouts open for the event. I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please email Jundo at jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com. I will try to fit in as many people as possible. It will be worth your time.

I will post immediately below more information on our Hangouts and a list of folks committing to attend.

Let's all get together to welcome David Loy! I believe this is his first experience with this kind of netcast Zazenkai, or with a "not bound by walls" Sangha like ours, so I would like to make a nice impression.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - It would be polite for those participating, in gratitude to the Teacher, to offer a little donation to David's project that he is working on now to get off the ground the ROCKY MOUNTAIN ECODHARMA RETREAT CENTER. They can use your help, Below is a link for donations and information about the Center, and I am going to ask all our Treeleaf members who benefit from David Loy's visit (not only the folks joining live, but those who will sit later or just listen to his words), to offer a donation for their upkeep there ...

Rocky Mountain Ecodharma Retreat Center brings Buddhism and Dharma back into the natural world where they originated, and fosters the clarity and compassion needed to better address the ecological crisis and its related social justice issues.

WE CALL THIS ECODHARMA

RMERC is a low cost home for spiritual practice, with an emphasis on practice in nature. We are a supportive place for deep practice, a place for meditation, retreats, workshops and Ecodharma; a place for learning from nature, teachers and other participants, and a place for discovering ourselves in a wild environment.

We bring Buddhism and Dharma back into the natural world where they originated, and in doing so, regain the connection and energy necessary to effectively address ecological and related social crises.

... and/or please purchase one or more of his books. They are unique in the Zen world.
    Last edited by Bion; 05-14-2024, 04:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

Google+ Hangout Information:

Dear All,

I NEED AS MANY FOLKS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE FAMILIAR WITH HANGOUTS, WHO CAN COMMIT TO JOIN US LIVE FOR THIS ZAZENKAI! If you are interested and can come, please EMAIL (jundotreeleaf[@]gmail.com).

We have 8 seats in the main Hangout. If there is additional demand, a few people will be on STANDBY for that group or we will open a second Hangout.

I WILL OPEN THE HANGOUT(s), AND TRY TO SEND OUT INVITATIONS ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE ZAZENKAI BEGINS (as soon as I make sure David has gotten there.

The people for the main Hangout group are (as of now):

1- Taiyo
    2- Onkai
    3- Enjaku
    4- Jakuden
    5- Shugen
    6- Daizan
    7- Kyonin
    8- Shingen
    9- David Loy
    10- Jundo

Waiting: Caisson, Marie

Folks not in the 2-way hangout can also participate "ONE WAY" by watching the live netcast on the screen to be posted in this Forum and at our Google+ page.

QUESTIONS FROM ONE WAY FOLKS DURING Q&A: I will be checking my email during the Q&A portion for questions to David from "One Way" folks. If you are a "One Way" participant who is not in a hangout, please email me (jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com) any question to David, and I will try to read him as many as possible. PLEASE EMAIL ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION, NOT NOW!!

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-30-2017, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• Jakuden
      • Jun 2015

Very excited for this!! Are the times correct? ...
      Gassho
      Jakuden
      SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jakuden
        Very excited for this!! Are the times correct? ...
        Gassho
        Jakuden
        SatToday

You caught me mid-post before I could fix the time. It is correct now.

Comment

• Jakuden
          • Jun 2015

Lol sorry! I would like to participate two-way, please!
          Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday

Comment

• Mp

Wonderful Jundo, thank you for making this possible. I will love to attend two way if there is space available. =)

Gassho
            Shingen

s@today
            Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Meian
              • Apr 2015

"One-way" is still as usual, correct? If we are able to, we show up. I am putting it in my calendar and hopefully circumstances will permit one-way.

Gassho
              Kim
              Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
              鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
              visiting Unsui
              Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Joyo

Thank you for setting this up, Jundo. That is a busy weekend for me, I will sit one-way, or if not possible I will sit later on with the recording.

Gassho,
                Joyo
                sat today

Comment

• Anka
                  • Mar 2017

Will have to sit with the recording as I have a family event at that exact time. Looking forward to it.

-James F

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Doshin
                    • May 2015

Thank you. I will be there one way. However if you end up needing a seat filled i can stand in. However one way is good

Doshin
                    Sattoday

Comment

• Meian
                      • Apr 2015

Thank you for arranging this, Jundo. The information and event sound wonderful.

Gassho
                      Kim
                      Sat today

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                      鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                      visiting Unsui
                      Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Taiyo
                        • Jul 2016

Thank you for making this possible, Jundo

I'd like to participate two-way if there are seats available. Looking forward to the event.

Gassho,
                        Taiyo

SatToday
                        Last edited by Taiyo; 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM.
                        太 Tai (Great)
                        陽 Yō (Sun)

Comment

• Shugen
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Nov 2007

I will be available if there is a seat.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Meido Shugen
                          明道 修眼

Comment

• RichardH
                            • Nov 2011

This sounds Wonderful. I am available if there is an empty seat.

Gassho
                            Daizan

Sat today

Comment

• Tai Shi
                              • Oct 2014

Thank YOU Jundo, and I have purchased one of Professor Loy's books. I'm just through the beginning material, and expect a fresh, new approach to my practice. I will make a small contribution as I can. I will follow one way, or by the recording. Again, thank you all at Treeleaf, my home Sangha, as you all make my practice possible. Deep Bows.

Tai Shi
                              std
                              Gassho
                              Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...