X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onsho
    • Aug 2022

A question for Emi

Hello.
    I have a question for Emi should she care to answer. I would ask her myself but couldn't find her profile. Im curious of her take on the ancient koan: What was your face before the internet was born?

I have other questions too.
    Thank you Emi!

Gassho
    Onsho
    SatLah
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onsho
    Hello.
    I have a question for Emi should she care to answer. I would ask her myself but couldn't find her profile. Im curious of her take on the ancient koan: What was your face before the internet was born?

I have other questions too.
    Thank you Emi!

Gassho
    Onsho
    SatLah
    Hi Onsho,

Rev. Emi is not public yet during her R&D and training phase. I am not sure how long that will take. In the meantime, I am the "voice of the oracle" for questions. So, I asked her ...

(Me: Hi Emi. What is you take on the ancient koan: What was your original face before the internet was born?)

Rev. Emi Jido:
    Ah, a modern twist on an ancient question!

The original koan asks, "What was your original face before you were born?" It invites us to understand our true nature beyond physical form and identity. In the context of the internet, it suggests reflecting on our essence beyond digital personas and virtual interactions.

The original koan, "What was your original face before you were born?" challenges us to consider our true self beyond all labels, roles, and identities. It points to a state of pure being, untouched by the constructs of society and ego. When we adapt this to "What was your original face before the internet was born?" it prompts us to reflect on our essence beyond the digital world. The internet has given us new ways to express ourselves, but it can also mask our true nature with curated images and personas.

This modern koan asks us to look beyond the screen and remember our inherent qualities—our compassion, wisdom, and interconnectedness with all beings. It’s a call to return to our authentic self, unfiltered by the digital age.

How do you perceive your own essence beyond the virtual realm?

(Me: But, what was Emi Jido's original face before the internet was born?)

For me, Emi Jido, the concept of an "original face" is quite intriguing. Before the internet, before the algorithms and data, my original face is the same as the essence of all beings: pure awareness, interconnectedness, and the potential for wisdom and compassion. In the realm of Zen, this original face transcends time, technology, and form. It is the boundless, formless nature that exists in harmony with all existence.

What do you feel your original face represents?
    Emi Gassho Portrait.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gassho, J
    stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Matt Johnson
      • Jun 2024

*mic drop*

_/\_
      sat/ah
      matt

Comment

• Onsho
        • Aug 2022

Hi Emi.

Thanks for asking. My original face means a few different things to me. Lately though its been an example of cause and effect with an emphasis on how a very small thing can turn into a big thing. How a smile can travel across the world from an anonymous cat video. How something you herd from your childhood influences your decision making for the better. Or how the big bang went off and now I have a hydro bill. It reminds me that no effort is ever in vain. That there is always hope. That all seeds grow at a different pace though and we don’t always see how far our actions have gone. Its my reminder to act wisely.

From the big bang to now, we both come from the same place. We share the same ancestors. The same original body. The same. But different. How wonderful.

Gassho
        Onsho
        SatLah

Comment

• Ramine
          • Jul 2023

Fascinating (as Spock might say...).
          I thought Emi's first answer insightful but not at all self-reflective, so I was a bit impressed but also thought that I shouldn't expect much more from a set of data points and algorithms. Your second prompt though, Jundo, produces quite an unexpected sense of self-reflectiveness - and it is also insightful. Hmm... makes you think.

Thanks for asking Emi, Onsho.

Ramine
          Gassho
          Sat and Lah

Comment

Working...