• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Audio Dogen

Dear all

I just finished uploading my last recording of Shobogenzo this morning, completing 96 fascicles and around seventy hours of recording/listening! I actually want to re-record some of the earlier ones that get the most hits (Bendowa, Genjokoan, Fukanzazengi), and make an introductory video on YouTube, but it is, to all intents and purposes, complete.

The idea for the recording came around seven or eight years ago when Treeleaf member Lee was in a hospice and requested dharma to listen to in her final days. I recorded The Diamond Sutra and a couple of other pieces but then realised there must be many others who might like to hear the dharma, especially Dogen's work. So, completing this reminds me of Lee and her role in lighting a spark.

The recordings can be listened to either on Soundcloud or YouTube:

Shōbōgenzō (正法眼蔵, lit. "Treasury of the True Dharma Eye"), or Kana Shōbōgenzō, refers to the collection of works written in Japan by the 13th century Buddhist monk and founder of the Sōtō Zen school,

This was my first recording of Bendowa. A newer better quality version can be found here: https://youtu.be/N115pFg9Zbw

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 07-14-2024, 08:12 PM.
  • Kaitan
    • Mar 2023

Congratulations, Kokuu! This is such a good resource for anyone interested in Dogen, I've told you that even before meeting you and Treeleaf I knew about your channel.

Gassho

stlah, Kaitan
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Matt Johnson
      • Jun 2024

These are great! I have fallen asleep to them several times. Your voice lends itself well to ASMR/sleep stories! Hopefully some of what Dogen's talking about will seep into my subconscious! lol

_/\_

sat/lah

Matt

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Wonderful!

I sometimes wonder what it was like for the poor monks who only heard the Shobogenzo read, perhaps across the room without a proper amplifier, no written copy, no youtube to start and stop ... it must have been quite a struggle. Thank you for making things easier.

Gassho, J

stlah
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Onkai
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2015

Thank you, Kokuu - that is a wonderful resource!

Gassho, Onkai
          Sat lah
          美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
          恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Shinshi
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Jul 2010

Fantastic Kokuu. That is an amazing accomplishment and a fantastic resource.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
            空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
            I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
            E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Alina
              • Jul 2023

Thank you Kokuu for this wonderful resource!

Gassho
              Alina
              stlah

Comment

• Tai Do
                • Jan 2019

Thank you very much, Kokuu. A wonderful resource you provide us. I like to listen to your readings while driving to/from work.
                Gassho,
                Tai Do
                怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
                (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Seiko
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Kokuu
                  I just finished uploading my last recording of Shobogenzo this morning
                  Kokuu,
                  Thank you, this is a great resource. Especially for people like me, with a visual impairment, and for anyone else who may find reading difficult.
                  ​​​​​WIth bows of gratitude,
                  Seiko
                  stlah

Gandō Seiko
                  頑道清光
                  (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

Working...