Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZenJay
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Jundo
    Jay, also remember (and this is very important), tensing is not necessarily a physical happening at all, and may be more mental. In other words, when feeling tense, stressed, or disturbed in many ways, it is not something necessarily to cure with stretching or physical actions. Just tell yourself (or feel subtly and silently within) that "I am relaxed now," and mentally let the stress, resistance and disturbance go.

Many "problems" are only problems when we subjectively judge them as problems. Just "don't be stiff and stressed" in heart, and you will not be feeling stiff and stressed in body.

I am very cautious about anything that sees Zazen, or the Lotus Posture, as something to be prepared for or to be "done the right way."

By the way, sitting Zazen in Taiwan this week (and having similar experiences in China in the past), the Chinese are way WAY less concerned about maintaining a certain and right posture than the Japanese (who I sometimes call "Lotus Posture Fanatics".) Just sit, knowing your own body, not any one size fits all instruction. If a way of sitting feel balanced, stable and reasonably comfortable to you, then it is a good way of sitting for your body. Often, however, feeling "balanced, stable and comfortable" is more a matter of the equanimity and allowing in one's heart than anything to do with the external body.

Gassho, Jundo (at Narita Airport waiting for the bus)

stlah
    Hi Jundo,
    You may have hit the nail on the head with what may be causing this for me, thank you! I’ve recently taken a step back in some of my responsibilities with a group I’m part of (which I used to be director of) that was practically a full time job. I also work full time in a sales job, have a fiancé, as well as have 2 adult boys, one autistic… in other words, I have a lot of worry, stress, and activity in my life, and I tend to internalize that stress. Perhaps now that I have begun to practice more regularly, it is starting to rise to the surface as tension? I was surprised by it, as I never realized this was something I did.
    Thank you for the advice on posture. I will be honest, I do sometimes feel that I have to “do it right” and stay in a rigid posture that might feel a little off, but “looked right”. I always attributed it to my bad posture (I can hear my mother scolding me right now!), but I love your advice to know my body and do what is right for me. I chose the Seiza position for that reason, but I still find myself holding my upper body a little more rigid than I probably should. I will work on telling myself that I am relaxed and to release the stress and disturbance. Deep down I know that it is my own mind that has created these stresses and they are nothing but clouds to drift away…
    Also, thank you for the video from the Chan Temple! I’ve never actually seen any Chan ceremony or Zazen practice and it was very interesting to watch. I was actually amazed at the difference in postures all throughout the room!! I’ve realized that I am attached to more of the Japanese thought about posture, most likely due to the fact that most of what I’ve read in the past about Zen was from Japanese masters. I actually have a statue of Bodhidharma on my Buddha Altar, and I’ve got to say, he is not sitting in a rigid posture by any means! It will now be a reminder to me to do what is right for my body right here, right now!

Thank you Roshi!

…and welcome home! Glad you had a safe trip!

Gassho,
    Jay

Comment

• Seiko
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by ZenJay
      Good Evening everyone,
      I’ve noticed recently in my Zazen that I seem to be tensing different parts of my body at times when not meaning to. Sometimes it’s my shoulders, at times my legs, and sometimes even my forehead! I just wanted to ask if anyone has encountered this and for any insights on how to work through it. As all things are impermanent, should I expect this just to pass in time as well?

Thank you!

Gassho,
      Jay

Sat/Lah today
      Hello Jay,
      I am a just priest in training, so please take a few grains of salt with anything I say, I am no teacher.

Your body/mind will do all these things to get you to move. Sitting still is not easy.
      When it happens to me, I try not to react too much, just notice, relax and return to shikantaza.

Gasshō
      Seiko
      stlah
      Gandō Seiko
      頑道清光
      (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• ZenJay
        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Seiko

Hello Jay,
        I am a just priest in training, so please take a few grains of salt with anything I say, I am no teacher.

Your body/mind will do all these things to get you to move. Sitting still is not easy.
        When it happens to me, I try not to react too much, just notice, relax and return to shikantaza.

Gasshō
        Seiko
        stlah
        Good Morning Seiko,
        Thank you! Excellent advice! This morning I did exactly this and I was able to ease back into shikantaza a little faster. Since my original post, I’m noticing that tension still happens from time to time, but I’m either doing it less, or noticing less. Perhaps I’m working my way towards acceptance of whatever comes? Either way, all good!

Thank you again!

Gassho,
        Jay
        Sat/lah

Comment

Working...