Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snow
    • May 2024

“To Meet a True Master”

In “To Meet The Real Dragon,” Gudo Nishijima talks about meeting his master Kodo Sawaki, he stresses that the study of Buddhist “theory” is not Buddhism itself, and that one aspect of “real” Buddhism is “personal contact with a Buddhist teacher or master.”

This resonates strongly with me as I feel that this is the correct path for me and I intend to walk it, with or without a guide. I’m in a situation (geographic isolation mainly) that makes it difficult to have any “personal contact” with Buddhists of any kind, let alone Zen Buddhists, let alone a master.

I’ve resolved to do by best to find my way without one if necessary, relying heavily on books, recordings, and of course regular Zazen. It is that need for a community and some guidance that drew me here to Treeleaf. I don’t know if the online community is what Nishijima had in mind when he talked about “personal contact,” (perhaps Jundo could shed some light on that) - but whether it hits the mark or not I’m confident that it is closer to what he intended than books and videos.

“How do we find ‘a true master of Buddhism’?”

Nishijima’s answer seems deceptively simple, but only I think because we often confuse what is simple with what is easy, when they are often not at all the same thing.

”You must look for him.”

Well, this is me proclaiming to the universe (or to the internet - which is nearly as unfathomably vast at this point I suppose) my sincere intention - I am looking.

Any helpful fingers pointed at the moon are certainly appreciated, but not at all necessary. I am grateful for this electric sangha. Thank you for allowing me a space to excrete these thoughts.

-Gassho

Erik (Snow)
  • Bion
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2020

Well, Erik, here you have a true sangha, with sincere practitioners and a guiding teacher, a fully transmitted priest, who is Nishijima Roshi’s dharma heir, who has very personal contact with all of us. That contact includes private meetings, or dokusan, informal meetings like for example the community time right after zazenkai and regular teachings offered in different formats. There is also a considerable number of us training monks, novices, that serve in this sangha under Jundo’s guidance. So, as long as you practice in this sangha, there’s no path that’s not accessible. Does that sound more or less like what you had in mind?

gassho
    sat and lah
    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Antonio
      • Mar 2024

Bion and sensei Jundo , please excuse me. I would like to make a parenthesis here, trying to make parallel with my own story and see if I can help to clarify Snow’s question.

To make the story shorter:

For many years I visited a Soto zen sangha in the city that I lived. However, after move to another country I was unable to meet a presencial teacher that could guide me properly on the teachings of Buddha and in fact, it was really not easy to find any serious teachers that could guide me to the righteous path anywhere.

However, the internet changed this situation, opening the door for these “online Sanghas” , like the Treeleaf, allowed people like me that live far away from the next Zen center as well to the elderly and people with health issues to continue the practice and learn. Plus, these online sanghas allowed everyone to have access to teachers that received full transmission. This is quite a rare thing and you cannot find this easily around. I can say to you, we are very lucky to live in a time that the Dharma can be transmitted in this way.

However, I will not lie, no miracles will happen if you just read about the way of Buddha and do not practice. Consistence and diligence are the key and this is a thing that just depend on you.

Gassho

SatLah
      Antonio

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.” - Linji Yixuan​​

Comment

• Snow
        • May 2024

Thank you both for the replies. I want to take a moment to clarify that I certainly didn’t mean to belittle or disparage this sangha in anyway. I think using the internet to shatter the illusion of our global separation is absolutely brilliant. I’m simply new enough that I don’t know if this is what was meant by “personal contact” and am sincerely curious how Nishijima (whose words inspired me to ask the question in the first place) would have thought about it - as I only know of one person who actually knew the man in order to ask, here I am.

More than anything this was just my sincere announcement to my “self” that I’m ready to learn.

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

• Bion
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Snow
          Thank you both for the replies. I want to take a moment to clarify that I certainly didn’t mean to belittle or disparage this sangha in anyway. I think using the internet to shatter the illusion of our global separation is absolutely brilliant. I’m simply new enough that I don’t know if this is what was meant by “personal contact” and am sincerely curious how Nishijima (whose words inspired me to ask the question in the first place) would have thought about it - as I only know of one person who actually knew the man in order to ask, here I am.

More than anything this was just my sincere announcement to my “self” that I’m ready to learn.

Thanks for your patience.
          Your comment wasn’t being disparaging in any way, do not worry. It is normal to inquire, especially in this day and age when anyone can be anything on the internet!
          Never hesitate to reach out if you feel I can ever be of any use to you!

gassho
          sat and lah

"Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Ryokudo
            • Apr 2018

Hey Snow,

Yup I guess you got my 2 cents at the moment x moment. I think you have landed in exactly the appropriate place for you. Jundo is my teacher and as the guys say has the credentials as Nishijima Roshi's heir.

However equally important to me is he is a good dude whom I trust to have the best interests of all of us in his heart. And there are many other people here who are happy to support your practice.

Zazen is of course, also your teacher, as your practice will speak to you in your own language and in ways that your being will understand.

But here we can all do it together, any of the sitting/hangouts/teahouses will give you that feeling of communal sitting and chatting . You're always welcome at the Moment x moment.

As for being disparaging I agree with Bion, there was nothing of that nature at all. You just asked a perfectly natural question and that should be encouraged.

Gassho

Ryo
            SATLAH

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Hmmm. I dislike the word "master," except in the sense that one can be a "master car mechanic" or have "mastery of the violin" after a certain amount of time and experience. Then, maybe that person helps tune people's cars or helps them learn the violin (even in the latter case, the violin student must do their own hard practice, with the violin teacher just showing a thing or two here and there.)

And like finding a good car mechanic or violin teacher, ask around. Are people who have gone to such folks driving around in working cars, playing harmonious violin? Any scandals where the mechanic is known to overcharge, or the violin teacher to abuse her students? Does the personality of the violin teacher and the sound of their playing resonate in one's heart? Try the violin school for some months and make sure it is the case. If after some months, one's car and one's violin are well in tune, both are humming along, and one is oneself getting some mastery of the violin ... then seemingly one has found a good mechanic and a good violin teacher.

As to Nishijima Roshi, the internet and video technology was still brand new when he was still alive in this world. However, he was very open to the idea of the experiment we were trying here. Here is him and me, and our sitting together online, right after we opened the doors of this place ...

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
              Last edited by Jundo; 06-13-2024, 12:06 AM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Rich
                • Apr 2009

To Meet The Real Dragon Is a great read. Still read it occasionally. Nishijima was a great teacher and I appreciated his personal responses to my questions

sat/lah
                _/_
                Rich
                MUHYO
                無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Dainin
                  • Sep 2007

To Meet the Real Dragon was also an inspirational read for me; and like Rich said, Nishijima Roshi was always gracious in answering my questions. He once referred to me as his granddaughter, thinking my name (Keith) was feminine. Regardless, I was honored. He also mentioned I was fortunate to have Jundo as my teacher.

Gassho,
                  Dainin

SatLah
                  Last edited by Dainin; 06-13-2024, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
                    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dainin
                    He once referred to me as his granddaughter, thinking my name (Keith) was feminine. Regardless, I was honored. He also mentioned I was fortunate to have Jundo as my teacher.
                    Yes, he was obviously confused on both points.

Gassho, J

stlah

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Dainin
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jundo

Yes, he was obviously confused on both points.

Gassho, J

stlah
                      Oh, I don't know. I'm pretty in touch with my feminine side.

Gassho,
                      Dainin

SatLah

Comment

• Seiko
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Snow
                        In “To Meet The Real Dragon,” Gudo Nishijima talks about meeting his master Kodo Sawaki, he stresses that the study of Buddhist “theory” is not Buddhism itself, and that one aspect of “real” Buddhism is “personal contact with a Buddhist teacher or master.”

This resonates strongly with me as I feel that this is the correct path for me and I intend to walk it, with or without a guide. I’m in a situation (geographic isolation mainly) that makes it difficult to have any “personal contact” with Buddhists of any kind, let alone Zen Buddhists, let alone a master.

I’ve resolved to do by best to find my way without one if necessary, relying heavily on books, recordings, and of course regular Zazen. It is that need for a community and some guidance that drew me here to Treeleaf. I don’t know if the online community is what Nishijima had in mind when he talked about “personal contact,” (perhaps Jundo could shed some light on that) - but whether it hits the mark or not I’m confident that it is closer to what he intended than books and videos.

“How do we find ‘a true master of Buddhism’?”

Nishijima’s answer seems deceptively simple, but only I think because we often confuse what is simple with what is easy, when they are often not at all the same thing.

”You must look for him.”

Well, this is me proclaiming to the universe (or to the internet - which is nearly as unfathomably vast at this point I suppose) my sincere intention - I am looking.

Any helpful fingers pointed at the moon are certainly appreciated, but not at all necessary. I am grateful for this electric sangha. Thank you for allowing me a space to excrete these thoughts.

-Gassho

Erik (Snow)
                        Hey Eric!
                        As a priest in training, I can only speak about my own experience, my words are just opinions, please take them with a pinch of salt.

I love that you call us electric. Full of energy, and sparks, and light. As all sanghas should be.

And while you look for him, sit with us, whether in the same room or through the internet, removing all barriers of space and time, Shikantaza alongside friends is a good activity.

Gasshō
                        Seiko
                        stlah
                        Gandō Seiko
                        頑道清光
                        (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Snow
                          • May 2024

Originally posted by Seiko

I love that you call us electric. Full of energy, and sparks, and light. As all sanghas should be.

And while you look for him, sit with us, whether in the same room or through the internet, removing all barriers of space and time, Shikantaza alongside friends is a good activity.

Gasshō
                          Seiko
                          stlah
                          That is exactly my intention. I appreciate having the invitation actively extended. The more I see of this community the more I love about it and the more I hope to find a place in it, but of course I try not to have a preference

Sat/Lah

Comment

Working...