Altar items (traditional and non-traditional)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chikyou
    • May 2022

Altar items (traditional and non-traditional)

On my altar currently I have a painted image of Shakyamuni, an electric candle, stick incense burner and the cypress twig from my Jukai ceremony.

However, the cypress twig has lost all its green and looks very sad. I feel moved to replace it with something, and I'm considering what that something should be. Since the cypress bushes are right off my back patio, I have an endless supply of cypress twigs; and I may just wind up retiring the twig from my Jukai and refreshing it with a new one on a regular basis.

But, though I know there's no "right" or "wrong" here, I'm wondering what a traditional altar would consist of? Or a non-traditional one?

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Chikyō

Chikyō 知鏡
    (KellyLM)
  • Dainin
    • Sep 2007

Hi Chikyō,

Your altar sounds lovely. I particularly like the cypress twig. This subject has come up often over the years, so there are similar discussions floating around. The link below presents what seems the "traditional" Soto altar:

A Buddha-altar isn't only a place to honor one's ancestors. Within the altar, there is an area where Mt. Sumeru (the mountain at the center of the Buddhist cosmology) is represented and in the center of that area the main image is enshrined.

However, as you know, around here there's no requirement or even a need for one of those, unless of course one is moved in that direction. Basically it's about what moves you - sometimes that could mean an empty altar. I guess that would be as non-traditional as one could get.

Gassho,
    Dainin

SatLah

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dainin
      https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice...ion/altar.html However, as you know, around here there's no requirement or even a need for one of those, unless of course one is moved in that direction. Basically it's about what moves you - sometimes that could mean an empty altar. I guess that would be as non-traditional as one could get.
      I very much agree. There is no particular requirement for what an Altar must be. I have sometimes spoken in the past about how a "Buddha Statue" could be an empty space, a stone, a flower, or even a coke bottle or soiled baby diaper if the heart is open sufficiently to recognize "Buddha" there. No need to have a "Buddha Statue" that looks like Buddha, which is just a work of art to remind us of the traditional message that Buddha is not so limited!

As to the Soto shu Altar, I caution against need to follow the guidance at the above link. Why? Japanese Altars, like much of Japanese Buddhism, is geared toward ancestor worship and remembrance of our deceased parents, grandparents and other family. Most Japanese who have an at-home Altar (Butsudana) are primarily concerned with that purpose. As the page says, "To honor our ancestors is to repay our sense of gratitude for having received life from them. This is also to keenly feel that we have inherited not only our individual lives but the life of all things. ... The memorial tablets of our ancestors are placed to the left and right of Shakyamuni Buddha. ... The book of ancestors' names should be easily visible. Each morning, open the book to the page that corresponds with the day's date."

Remembering our ancestors is lovely, but I would say that there is absolutely no need whatsoever to make an Altar like that. We have had some discussions in the past here on the creativity of some of our members in their little sacred spaces at home, and they are all excellent ...

Here was our BYOB (Bring Your Own Buddha) Zazenkai from a couple of years ago:

ATTENTION: This is a BYOB (Brink Your Own Buddha) Zazenkai, and I ask everyone to place in their sitting room at home today something ... an image or thing that is ugly to the eye, harsh and human-made, something most mundane and ordinary like a rusty tin can ... even an image which is harsh, violent, scary and painful in this

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
      Last edited by Jundo; 06-12-2024, 03:21 AM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• mdonnoe
        • Feb 2024

I once came upon a Thai Buddhist amulet with a little carving / picture of a footprint on it, and the antique seller explained to me that the footprint was a sort of "early Buddhist" representation of "Buddha walked here," before statues really became a popular home altar thing. The idea of "Buddha walked here" really spoke to my heart (because, didn't Buddha walk here, in my heart, I thought?), and I kept it on my home altar for many years.

Wherever and however Buddha walks in your heart, I'd love to see photos from your home altar!

Gassho,
        Michael
        SatLah

Comment

• Bion
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Chikyou
          On my altar currently I have a painted image of Shakyamuni, an electric candle, stick incense burner and the cypress twig from my Jukai ceremony.

However, the cypress twig has lost all its green and looks very sad. I feel moved to replace it with something, and I'm considering what that something should be. Since the cypress bushes are right off my back patio, I have an endless supply of cypress twigs; and I may just wind up retiring the twig from my Jukai and refreshing it with a new one on a regular basis.

But, though I know there's no "right" or "wrong" here, I'm wondering what a traditional altar would consist of? Or a non-traditional one?

Gassho,
          SatLah
          Chikyō
          My choice for altar "flower" has been for a long time a single bamboo branch.

small altar.jpg

gassho
          sat and lah
          "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Chikyou
            • May 2022

Thank you all! I decided to go with refreshing the cypress twig regularly. I haven't yet decided how to respectfully dispose of the original twig (I'm tempted to keep it, but that feels like attachment).

Here is my altar (with some incense ash which will be cleaned up when I sit next, as cleaning the last ash is part of my ritual).

Gassho,
            SatLah
            Chikyō
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Chikyō 知鏡
            (KellyLM)

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chikyou
              Thank you all! I decided to go with refreshing the cypress twig regularly. I haven't yet decided how to respectfully dispose of the original twig (I'm tempted to keep it, but that feels like attachment).

Here is my altar (with some incense ash which will be cleaned up when I sit next, as cleaning the last ash is part of my ritual).

Gassho,
              SatLah
              Chikyō
              Return the twig to nature, to the ground. Gassho, then move on.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Seiko
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Jul 2020

At University the prayer rooms are shared by all faiths, so after use, the rooms must be left neutral, without altars or symbols.

The temporary nature of the altar is interesting. It raises some curiosity for me - how do other faiths feel about the temporary nature of their altars? And how I deal with this situation, the questions I ask myself - without really expecting an answer: Do I consciously choose an altar arrangement and stick to it? Do I decide to vary it each time, or on special dates? Do I vary the altar appearance for no reason, just going with my instinct/ feelings on any particular day? Yes, interesting to notice and note.

Seiko
                Gasshō
                stlah
                Gandō Seiko
                頑道清光
                (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seiko
                  At University the prayer rooms are shared by all faiths, so after use, the rooms must be left neutral, without altars or symbols.

The temporary nature of the altar is interesting. It raises some curiosity for me - how do other faiths feel about the temporary nature of their altars? And how I deal with this situation, the questions I ask myself - without really expecting an answer: Do I consciously choose an altar arrangement and stick to it? Do I decide to vary it each time, or on special dates? Do I vary the altar appearance for no reason, just going with my instinct/ feelings on any particular day? Yes, interesting to notice and note.

Seiko
                  Gasshō
                  stlah
                  Lovely questions.

Of course, all Altars are temporary, constantly changing, even if seeming to last for 1000 years ... like all composite things. The day is ever changing, and each moment of our lives. I feel that these "temporary Altars" can remind us of this. Lovely.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

Working...