How does one see their true nature?

Gassho,

John

SatTodayLAH
  • Bion
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2020

Hi, John!

I don’t have an answer of my own, so please allow me to point to the very first lines of master Keizan’s Zazen-Yojinki, which we are currently studying during Zazenkai:

"Sitting is the way to clarify the ground of experiences and to rest at ease in your Actual Nature. This is called "the display of the Original Face" and "revealing the landscape of the basic ground."

or an alternative translation:

Zazen means to clarify the mind-ground and dwell comfortably in your actual nature. This is called "the display of the Original Face" and "manifesting the original-ground."

Hope that serves as an answer

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-11-2024, 10:41 AM.
    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by johns
      How does one see their true nature?

Gassho,
      Hi John,

In a nutshell, Zazen is our traditional way to untangle the divided mind filled with thoughts of "me who is not you," "this that and the other thing," good and bad" "coming and going" "life and death" that create division which is separate from wholeness. In Zazen, all of such division and judgement is rested, the hard divisions soften or fully fall away, and such flowing Wholeness is considered Buddha, the True Nature.

In Soto Zen, one does not pause with such a limited view, for the Wholeness and the "me who is not you," "this that and the other thing," good and bad" "coming and going" "life and death" thereupon prove to be one Whole, facets of a single jewel, True Nature. Thus, there is birth and death, you and me ... yet not ... yet so again.

In Soto Zazen, one sits in Shikantaza, allowing those divisions and judgements to soften and, perchance, fully fall away ... all to show again as this whole, fertile world.

Our recent Yojinki talks are about just this, if you wish to dive in ...

Hello, all A new episode of our Treeleaf Podcast is available for streaming on all platforms. We begin a new series of talks, focusing on master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yojinki'. Find the Treeleaf Podcast wherever you usually stream podcasts, or listen to it directly HERE (https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/march-2024-zazenkai-talk

Gassho, J

stlah

PS - John, I must ask you to help us see YOUR human face. I see you put a profile picture, but not a picture with your posts. They are different for some mysterious reason. Would you kindly take care of that for me? Thank you.
      On the forum, we have two photo options that make us visible, and as Jundo says it, gives us a human face: profile picture and avatar. in order to change these, from the web version of the forum, we click on Settings in the top right corner, next to My Profile and Log out. From the left side column of menus, we click on
      Last edited by Jundo; 04-11-2024, 02:18 PM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Antonio
        • Mar 2024

Thanks for sharing this sensei!
        Antonio

"To study the Buddha Way is to study the self; to study the self is to forget the self; to forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the body and mind of others drop away. No trace of realization remains and this no trace continues endlessly" - Dogen Zenji

Comment

• johns
          • Jul 2023

Thank you for this teaching. I think I fixed the avatar issue (maybe?).
          I don't see pictures of anyone in the forum posts, is it possible there is something with MY settings?
          Gassho,

John

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Bion
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by johns
            Thank you for this teaching. I think I fixed the avatar issue (maybe?).
            I don't see pictures of anyone in the forum posts, is it possible there is something with MY settings?
            Gassho,

John

SatTodayLAH
            Yes! We can see you and yes, there is a setting you should enable to see avatars: click on Settings ( top right ) > General settings ( on the left hand bar ) > Thread Display Options and enable Show Signatures, Show Avatars and Show Images

Gassho
            Sat and lah
            "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

Working...