X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoseki
    • Jun 2015

Looking for the hōkyōki?

Hi folks,

As I understand it, the Hōkyōki is a record or collection of notes Dogen made while in China. I'm not able to find an English translation. Does anyone know if there's an English translation available?

Gassho,

Hoseki

sattoday/lah
  • Kotei
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Mar 2015

Hello Hoseki,

I have not read the book yet, but on the shelf: "Dogen's formative years in China: An historical study and annotated translation of the Hōkyō-ki" from Takashi James Kodera.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 02-19-2024, 04:53 PM.
    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Hoseki
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Kotei
      Hello Hoseki,

I have not read the book yet, but on the shelf: "Dogen's formative years in China: An historical study and annotated translation of the Hōkyō-ki" from Takashi James Kodera.

Gassho,
      Kotei sat/lah today.
      Fantastic! Thank you!

Gassho,

Hoseki
      sattoday/lah

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

The Kodera translation is very "clunky," even hard to read at many points. I am not sure why it was done that way. There is a nice introduction with historical background, however. The book is also out of print, and amazon lists it for a couple of hundred dollars!

A more polished translation by Tanahashi Sensei is in his book "Enlightenment Unfolds." It is titled there "Journal of my Study in China."

Terebess has a translation by Norman Waddell, published years ago in the journal "Eastern Buddhist," which I rarely see mentioned by anyone: https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/hokyo-ki.pdf

Gassho, J

stlah
        Last edited by Jundo; 02-20-2024, 01:07 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
          The Kodera translation is very "clunky," even hard to read at many points. I am not sure why it was done that way. There is a nice introduction with historical background, however. The book is also out of print, and amazon lists it for a couple of hundred dollars!
          Hunting for used books, I got mine for 15$, I should probably sell it again
          Gassho,
          Kotei sat/lah today.
          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Hoseki
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Jundo

A more polished translation by Tanahashi Sensei is in his book "Enlightenment Unfolds." It is titled there "Journal of my Study in China."

Terebess has a translation by Norman Waddell, published years ago in the journal "Eastern Buddhist," which I rarely see mentioned by anyone: https://terebess.hu/zen/dogen/hokyo-ki.pdf

Gassho, J

stlah
            Thank you!

Gassho,

Hoseki
            sattoday/lah

Comment

Working...