X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoseki
    • Jun 2015

Seiza bench etiquette and style questions

Hi folks,

I've recently switched to a Seiza bench due to some leg pain. I was wondering what's the approprate etiquette before using it.

I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with a seiza bench with rounded legs. I was thinking of making one to try it out but if the consenses is that square legs provide more support then I won't bother.

Gassho,

Hoseki

sattoday/LAH
  • Chikyou
    • May 2022

I would bow to the bench and bow to the room before sitting, just like with a zafu (but there's nothing to 'straighten').

Someone more experienced might have a better answer.

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Chikyo (Kelly)
    Chikyō 知鏡
    (KellyLM)

Comment

• Nengei
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Hoseki
      I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with a seiza bench with rounded legs. I was thinking of making one to try it out but if the consenses is that square legs provide more support then I won't bother.
      Please forgive the length of my post. Also, I am only a priest in training, so take anything I post accordingly.

This is such a personal thing. I have never been able to tolerate much seiza unless the bench was quite high, or I do it Nihonjin-style, with no bench, kneeling only on a zabuton, sometimes sitting on a sideways zafu. I have seen people place the zafu on their legs after kneeling, so that they were sitting on a cushion that was resting on their legs. I have, in the past, tried many seiza benches. The ones that have hinges but the legs don't lock out are a disaster. The rounded ones were okay because they sort of self-adjust to your position. For me, the secret to more comfortable seiza sitting was an intensified yoga practice. But doing that also made it easier for me to simply sit as usual, so seiza just never worked out.

I would do some self-testing to see what helps you most. Try sitting seiza without anything, just kneeling with your toes out behind you (extension) for a little bit and see how that goes. Then try sitting with your toes tucked so your heels are a little higher (not really "proper," but you will be sitting higher). Then try a sideways zafu, and a zafu or small pillow on the backs of your legs. From there, you could construct a simple bench and probably get a good idea right away what will be most comfortable for you. It is all about where you can distribute your weight, and hopefully have your spine straight (the angle of your pelvis in the correct position).

Most of the Zen groups I have sat with have stored the seiza benches off to the side, such that any person wanted one was responsible for retrieving and replacing it. I have only seen sitting seiza without a bench in monasteries. In one monastery, guests preferring to sit with a bench were instructed to adjust the zafu as usual, then place the bench straddling it, or to place the zafu on top of the bench. If you find you wish to use a bench, and you are the only one sitting in that place (your home, your cushion, etc.) then it should be fine to simply place it within easy reach of your cushion.

Gassho,
      Nengei
      Sat today. LAH.
      遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• Chikyou
        • May 2022

If you want to try something other than the seiza bench too, I have a Studio-Hi Zafu from DharmaCrafts (no affiliation) that is perfectly comfortable to sit seiza on without turning it sideways. I'm blessed with thick legs and the bench makes my feet fall asleep, but the higher zafu works perfectly for me even for LONG sits (like a Rohatsu retreat).

Gassho,
        SatLah
        Chikyo (Kelly)
        Chikyō 知鏡
        (KellyLM)

Comment

• Onkai
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2015

I prefer sitting with a seiza bench. I've never tried one with rounded legs. As for the etiquette of using it, I treat it like a zafu as much as it makes sense to. Instead of fluffing it, I see that the legs are straight and place it where I can kneel on the zagu and easily grasp the bench and place it correctly. I'm a priest-in-training, so take what I say with a grain of salt though I try to be helpful.

Gassho, Onkai
          Sat lah
          美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
          恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Hoseki
            • Jun 2015

Thanks for the advice folks! I have a few things to try now. If I run into any issues (or a great success!) I will reach out again.

Gassho,

Hoseki
            Sattoday/lah

Comment

• Shonin Risa Bear
              • Apr 2019

With even tall benches my legs fell asleep anyway, to the point where I didn't even know where they were. The etiquette in this instance was to fall as gracefully as possible into the arms of the person to my right as we stood up for kinhin.

gassho
              ds sat today
              Visiting priest: use salt

Comment

• Nengei
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Shōnin Risa Bear
                The etiquette in this instance was to fall as gracefully as possible into the arms of the person to my right as we stood up for kinhin.

Gassho,
                Nengei
                Sat today. LAH.
                遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• michaelw
                  • Feb 2022

My seiza bench is 18 x 6.5 inches and stands 7 inches high on the low side and 7.75 inches on the high side with a radius between. The cushion is Buckwheat filled. It is solid Ash and weighs in at 6lbs.
                  The trick is to hold the ends of the bench with your index fingers underneath holding the legs open to stop them collapsing when you put your weight on it and without crushing the finger nails on the outer fingers. Don’t ask me how I know this.
                  I sit with my toes just off the end of the mat to stop my feet cramping. Big toes touching knees apart for stability.
                  The other sangha I sit with nobody uses a cushion it is all benches. There are some lightweight plywood height adjustable ones and those T shaped one legged stools.
                  On ebay they are listed under Meditation stool / prayer stool / seiza bench / yoga stool.

Gassho
                  MichaelW

satlah

Comment

My wife uses the "Still Sitting Nomad Meditation Bench." It has the unique feature of folding and easily fitting into luggage. Additionally, it can be adjusted in height to accommodate the user's morphology. A good choice for her.

Gassho,
                    Mokushō

Sat today

Comment

• Ryumon
                      • Apr 2007

I definitely prefer the rounded legs, because otherwise the angle might not be right. Also, I like the more dynamic aspect of it. This said, I can't sit on one any more, as it really hurts my knees and my feet fall asleep. I'd need one that is much higher than the usual size, and even then, I think it really depends on each person's body whether it works for them.

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

Sat Lah
                      I know nothing.

Comment

• Chikyou
                        • May 2022

Originally posted by Yuki
                        My wife uses the "Still Sitting Nomad Meditation Bench." It has the unique feature of folding and easily fitting into luggage. Additionally, it can be adjusted in height to accommodate the user's morphology. A good choice for her.

Gassho,
                        Mokushō

Sat today
                        I was considering one of these for travel. Is it sturdy? I assume so since Still Sitting makes quality items.

Gassho,
                        SatLah
                        Chikyō
                        Chikyō 知鏡
                        (KellyLM)

Comment

Yes, it’s sturdy. I used it myself sometimes and I liked it ( but zafu is my preference, I have to admit ).

Gassho,
                          Mokushō 黙唱

Sat today

Comment

Working...