Our January 2024 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Our January 2024 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

The time has again arrived for our annual

JUKAI CEREMONY at Treeleaf Sangha

... to commence Sunday, January 14th at Midnight (Sunday-Monday) Japan time (that is New York 10am, Los Angeles 7am (Sunday morning), London 3pm and Paris 4pm (Sunday afternoon)) (Aussie-Zealanders ... you figure it out! ). The ceremony will last about 1 hour, and will be visible from that time at the screen below:

Our 5 Preceptees, from Mexico (now living in China), Norway, the United States, the United Kingdom (now living in Japan) and Canada come together simultaneously from those places (plus several other folks undertaking Jukai with us for the second or more times), and our Preceptors Shokai, Kyonin, Jinkan and Kokuu come together from Canada, Mexico, the U.S. and the U.K., all joining in this Jukai as one, after our Jukai recipients have spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a Rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life. As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online, and we now invite all our Sangha to the celebration.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, wrote this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts ... is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

WELCOME!

I, Jundo, will be present as witness to this happy event. It is an honor to experience this moment with you.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

Traditional "Three Treasures Seal" (三宝印) Representing the Bloodline
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-10-2024, 02:26 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Onkai
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2015

Wonderful! Congratulations to the members taking Jukai, and to Jundo and the Preceptors. I look forward to the ceremony.

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Chikyou
      • May 2022

I can't wait! What a joyous celebration. I am very excited.

Gassho,
      SatLah
      Kelly
      Chikyō 知鏡
      (KellyLM)

Comment

• Kotei
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Mar 2015

Looking very much forward to experiencing this ceremony together!
        Gassho,
        Kotei sat/lah today.
        義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Doshin
          • May 2015

I will be there with everyone.

Doshin
          Stlah

Comment

• Risho
            • May 2010

Congratulations!

Gassho

Rish
            -stlah
            Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Onsho
              • Aug 2022

I'm feeling very supported and cared for by such nurturing community. What a truly special place and a very special time to me here. Thank you Sangha.

I would like to literally know everything about the red stamp image attached to the end of the post.

Gassho
              Keith
              Satlah

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Keith
                I would like to literally know everything about the red stamp image attached to the end of the post.
                Oh, you ask an interesting question. I just sent such stamps to our Transmitted Priests to place on your Rakusu backs and other documents, and I never explained to them what it means ... nor did any of them ask! Thank you for being curious.

Well, that particular stamp is known as the Sanbo-In (三宝印) ... literally, the "Three Treasures Stamp" ("In" 印 means "stamp, and "Sanbo" 三宝 is "Three Treasures" in Japanese.) What are the "Three Treasures?" Well, as we were reminded this week in our study of the final Precept ...

... they are Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. One traditional way of writing the Kanji for "Buddha" is , for Dharma is , and for Sangha is , and for "Treasure" is .

Now, the "Three Treasures Stamp" can take many forms, some more abstract than others, some written in what is known as traditional "Stamp Script," such as these:

In the above, start with the stamp in the second row, far left, where the Kanji are plainest. Remember that Chinese is read (unlike English, which we read left to right) from right top (Buddha ), right bottom (Dharma , but actually a variation of that Kanji as I discuss below), left top (Sangha ) and left bottom (Treasure ). The left bottom is "Treasure," I suspect, just because they needed a 4th Kanji to balance out the other three. Now, look closely at the elements of the above Kanjis, and find them in the stamp, then moving right, and then to the top row, notice how they are still present, but more and more abstract. (The one that is rather different is Dharma 法, because the seal has a variation of that Kanji () which is more complicated in form: https://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese...haracterMode=t and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%8...81%8B-seal.svg) The ancient Chinese and Japanese were way ahead of Miro, Mondrian and the other modern abstract artists!

Okay, so finally, the Ketsumyaku you receive, and the entire lineage, is represented as a "bloodline." I believe that the stamp we use, on the top row far right, represents the intertwining bloodline of all things. It is called "Eight Directions ("Happo 八方") style, because the Kanji intermeld and spread out in all directions. However, it is said that this design was actually invented during the Edo (samurai) Period in Japan as a way to prevent easy forgeries, similar to all the geometric lines seen on currency bank notes today! (https://www.fineseal.net/original129.html) It has now become a standard design, but was originally supposed to be a bit unique, like a fingerprint to prevent copying.

And now you know.

Gassho, J

stlah

img_0f472480eea4ac74d484d9a4c8a722e0.jpg
                Last edited by Jundo; 01-12-2024, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Bion
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Jundo
                  Oh, you ask an interesting question. I just sent such stamps to our Transmitted Priests to place on your Rakusu backs and other documents, and I never explained to them what it means ... nor did any of them ask! Thank you for being curious.

Well, that particular stamp is known as the Sanbo-In (三宝印) ... literally, the "Three Treasures Stamp" ("In" 印 means "stamp, and "Sanbo" 三宝 is "Three Treasures" in Japanese.) What are the "Three Treasures?" Well, as we were reminded this week in our study of the final Precept ... ...
                  Ah! Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that!

Gassho
                  Sat and lah
                  Last edited by Jundo; 01-12-2024, 01:04 AM.
                  "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Bion
                    Ah! Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that!

Gassho
                    Sat and lah
                    I just added a couple of small facts, so you may want to reread.

Gassho, J

Comment

• Bion
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Aug 2020

I just added a couple of small facts, so you may want to reread.

Gassho, J
                      Ah! Just did! Thank you!

Gassho
                      Sat and lah
                      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kaitan
                        • Mar 2023

Thank you the explanation of the red stamp, Jundo. Quite fascinating.

I also want to thank every priest, every insui, Jukaie, preceptee and the rest. Preparing for the ceremony wouldn't have been possible without your presence and support.

Gasshō

stlah, Bernal
                        Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                        Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Onsho
                          • Aug 2022

Well, that particular stamp is known as the Sanbo-In (三宝印) ... literally, the "Three Treasures Stamp" ("In" 印 means "stamp, and "Sanbo" 三宝 is "Three Treasures" in Japanese.) What are the "Three Treasures?" Well, as we were reminded this week in our study of the final Precept ...

... they are Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. One traditional way of writing the Kanji for "Buddha" is , for Dharma is , and for Sangha is , and for "Treasure" is .

Now, the "Three Treasures Stamp" can take many forms, some more abstract than others, some written in what is known as traditional "Stamp Script," such as these:

In the above, start with the stamp in the second row, far left, where the Kanji are plainest. Remember that Chinese is read (unlike English, which we read left to right) from right top (Buddha ), right bottom (Dharma , but actually a variation of that Kanji as I discuss below), left top (Sangha ) and left bottom (Treasure ). The left bottom is "Treasure," I suspect, just because they needed a 4th Kanji to balance out the other three. Now, look closely at the elements of the above Kanjis, and find them in the stamp, then moving right, and then to the top row, notice how they are still present, but more and more abstract. (The one that is rather different is Dharma 法, because the seal has a variation of that Kanji () which is more complicated in form: https://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese...haracterMode=t and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%8...81%8B-seal.svg) The ancient Chinese and Japanese were way ahead of Miro, Mondrian and the other modern abstract artists!

Okay, so finally, the Ketsumyaku you receive, and the entire lineage, is represented as a "bloodline." I believe that the stamp we use, on the top row far right, represents the intertwining bloodline of all things. It is called "Eight Directions ("Happo 八方") style, because the Kanji intermeld and spread out in all directions. However, it is said that this design was actually invented during the Edo (samurai) Period in Japan as a way to prevent easy forgeries, similar to all the geometric lines seen on currency bank notes today! (https://www.fineseal.net/original129.html) It has now become a standard design, but was originally supposed to be a bit unique, like a fingerprint to prevent copying.

And now you know.

Gassho, J

stlah

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9150[/ATTACH]
                          That is VERY fascinating. Thank you so much for the info!

Does all of the Soto tradition use the Happo style for rakusus? Or is any of the Sanbo-in ok? Do Kesas have a stamp too?

Gassho
                          Keith
                          Satlah

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Keith
                            That is VERY fascinating. Thank you so much for the info!

Does all of the Soto tradition use the Happo style for rakusus? Or is any of the Sanbo-in ok? Do Kesas have a stamp too?

Gassho
                            Keith
                            Satlah
                            No stamp on the Kesa, although there is the tradition to put a little smudge or dirt after sewing so that the impure and imperfect is seen as pure.

All the Soto documents I have from various sources seem to like that "Happo," but I do not believe that it is universal in Soto shu. A quick image search for "Ketsumyaku" (Bloodline Chart) and "Soto-shu" show that the great majority are the round Happo, but there are some exceptions which use the other styles ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Tai Shi
                              • Oct 2014

If wish the participants well. This is a life long goal and I take undertaking the Precepts very seriously. I will have participated several years and as I participated felt the positive impact of commitment. My next book is based entirely upon the life changes that I have made with the impact of the Precepts and I will announce it when it is published. If possible it will be published by July. My wife will edit the book for the second time and I hope that the book is accurate and accessible. I have edited it twice.
                              Gassho
                              sat/lah
                              Charles Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Last edited by Tai Shi; 01-12-2024, 12:16 PM.
                              Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...