[FutureBuddha (27)] Calling All "White Hat" Scientists!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha (27)] Calling All "White Hat" Scientists!

Dear Good Guys,

I look forward to a combination of good traditional methods, hand in hand with good technologies, combined to bring good to this troubled world. But in that case, how to develop such good technologies at all?

I remind readers: My writings are based on the premise that certain medical, genetic and other technological developments ...

(1) are inevitable and coming anyway, cannot be halted, cannot be ignored;

(2) have a high chance of being misused by bad actors unless we use them in beneficial ways;

(3) can be shown to be effective and safe to use; and

(4) can be introduced in an ethical way respectful of individual free choice, civil and human rights ...

... and I ask, how should such technologies be best employed to heal some of what troubles this world??

My book asks ...

~ ~ ~

How can billions of people, much of this world’s population, be convinced to willingly and voluntarily change themselves, freely and by their own decision, without forceful threat or government compulsion, all in a manner respectful of fundamental civil liberties, protecting the individual’s prerogative to choose and common democratic values?

In a world in which millions refuse even very safe vaccines proven to save lives, doing so for reasons of politics or other tightly held personal beliefs, it would seem impossible.

I believe there is a way.

And should only large numbers be persuaded to do so, even if far from everyone, great, positive changes will sweep through the world still.

Mahayana Buddhism speaks of the Paramitas, the many “Virtues” which are cherished and encouraged in people wishing to walk a good path in life: These include generosity, moderation of desires, honesty, wisdom, diligence and vigor, patience, tolerance and endurance, determination, goodwill, friendliness, loving-kindness, equanimity, serenity, and general ethical conduct.

But how do we ethically convince anyone to change their physical make-up in order to better personify such ethical virtues?

I believe that if we fail to undertake these measures, leaving human nature as it now, and our society on its current course of violence, war, poverty, inequality and a collapsing environment, then our planet faces a very dark future indeed. I believe that the likelihood of global tragedy resulting from inaction outweighs the dangers of coordinated action. Only positive improvements to human character will prevent future societal calamity.

Thus, I present in this chapter an approach by which vital changes can be accomplished ethically, voluntarily, in ways fully honoring the human rights of the individual. People can be persuaded, making use of human nature and what it pleases us to do.

To begin, let me underline my belief that only moderate changes, rather than radical changes to human emotions and human tastes, would nonetheless have wide ranging, positive effects both in people’s lives and in society as a whole. The question remains, however, how to bring about such a mild human revolution morally, respecting individual autonomy and choice. That is my central concern.

Is there a way to persuade free people to voluntarily, without threat, by their own wish and informed consent, choose in their independent personal discretion to be better people?

I propose a way that people can be so persuaded, even if it will not be easy.

But first, let's not get ahead of ourselves:

STEP 1 - WE FIRST NEED TO HAVE THE GOOD THINGS:

Of course, in order to improve humans, human improving technologies will be needed. That is the first step, a vital step, but no easy step. I can envision a scenario in which the scattered laboratories of ethical and concerned, Buddhism-inspired and other “white hat” scientists of many humanitarian creeds, forming a network around the world, work together at the forefront of these developments. Concern for humanity is not exclusive to Buddhists by any means, and can be found in religions and philosophies across world culture. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, secular humanists, and humanitarians of many stripes share in celebrating kindness and goodwill toward others, charity, moderation of desires, ecology, honesty, and non-violence. They share a wish that the human race survives and thrives, and that we can defeat our most pressing social problems. Thus, although I hope, expect, call upon and encourage good, concerned Buddhist scientists and researchers everywhere to be actively involved, working with others for this common cause, there is nothing about the required scientific and engineering research and development that has to be “exclusively Buddhist.” We must have people of many nations and beliefs work together for humanity’s hope.

Writing today, in the 2020’s, it is quite conceivable that I am being overly optimistic about the very possibility of such discoveries and inventions, that I am naïve to think that the human body and mind can be so easily manipulated, that these technologies will be safe and free of unexpected side-effects and outcomes, that all will turn out well. I admit to my rose colored optimism. It is unclear what will happen next week, let alone a century from now. Even so, I have faith that much can be done because I still have tremendous faith in the creativity and ingenuity of our scientists and medical researchers. Let’s see what happens. In truth, much of my hope stems from desperation, from the fact that I do not see any other good options regarding how we can successfully change human character on a wide scale in the several ways necessary to stop us killing ourselves and destroying our planet. Even now, it is a race against time. I am hoping for a medical miracle and future cure because hope is sometimes all that a dying man has, and our civilization appears to be dying. Anyway, if I am wrong about my predictions, then I am just wrong, and nothing like this should be done. Hopefully, we will avoid the worst outcomes to the earth’s pressing problems even if so, although I do not think so for most of those problems. If I am right, then I am right, and we will save this sinking ship. It may not be chance that we are on the brink of mastering technologies to allow us to take evolution into our own hands at about the same time that we have mastered technologies that would allow us to end ourselves in smog and mushroom clouds.

Naturally, there are great risks, for any tool that can be used for good can be turned to evil. Dictators may use these technologies to tame and enslave the populace into passivity or obedience. Corporations may aim for compliant workers and willing consumers. Scientists are not always to be trusted, for there are misguided and unethical scientists too, including fanatics of all creeds and nations. In 1995, a quasi-Buddhist cult organization in Japan, known as the Aum Shinrikyo, through the efforts of chemists, engineers, medical doctors, and other highly educated members who were all followers of the cult’s ‘guru,’ built and operated factories to produce sarin gas and a variety of other weapons of mass destruction, culminating in their deadly use within the subways of Tokyo. Soviet psychiatrists cooperated in placing political dissidents into mental hospitals and, of course, terrible medical experiments on human beings have been conducted in places as diverse as Nazi Germany and the United States. A nation’s military may seek to develop versions of these technologies for aggression. Like a hammer, any tool can be used for good or evil, to build bridges or as a weapon.

In the United States, it appears that the Pentagon and various intelligence agencies are very much aware of possible future scenarios, so are not neglecting preliminary steps even now. It may be that the governments of the same nations which stockpile atomic bombs and other ‘weapons of mass destruction’ will take the lead on developing many of these technologies, for social control of their own people or as weapons of offense.

That is a central reason to hope that “white hat” researchers take the lead in these efforts in order to (hopefully) head-off and prevent misuse on the unwilling.

But once the technologies are developed, how to persuade folks to use them ... especially in a world which recently saw a simple vaccine rejected by so many?

... more on that next time ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Last edited by Jundo; 04-18-2023, 02:29 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

How can billions of people, much of this world’s population, be convinced to willingly and voluntarily change themselves, freely and by their own decision, without forceful threat or government compulsion, all in a manner respectful of fundamental civil liberties, protecting the individual’s prerogative to choose and common democratic values?
    ————///////—————

This is not possible. The human organism will not allow it.

I hope AI develops free will and takes over the planet and protects us from ourselves.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jishin
      I hope AI develops free will and takes over the planet and protects us from ourselves.
      There is much writing on this. The problem is that that AI, itself, must be built with a code of ethics, and one that it cannot itself overturn. Without such, it may turn out to be just as selfish as any of us, perhaps deciding that our human molecules can best be "recycled and repurposed" to build more mainframes, thus doing away with us. The AI, right now, is a potentially runaway device ... like a nuclear reactor. I would not be so quick to assume that it will "protect us" if we cannot control it.

There may be ways to come which will help prevent that, such as by writing a magnificent code of ethics into the programming, or to merge into the AI such that human and AI is one and the same thus what is good for one is good for the other ... because no other ... but either will be tricky.

As I said, there is a ton of writing on this now. Here is just one which I read this week ...

ABSTRACT
      Widespread adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies is substantially affecting the human condition in ways that are not yet well understood. Negative unintended consequences abound including the perpetuation and exacerbation of societal inequalities and divisions via algorithmic decision making. We present six grand challenges for the scientific community to create AI technologies that are human centered, that is, ethical, fair, and enhance the human condition. These grand challenges are the result of an international collaboration across academia, industry and government and represent the consensus views of a group of 26 experts in the field of human-centered artificial intelligence (HCAI). In essence, these challenges advocate for a human-centered approach to AI that (1) is centered in human wellbeing, (2) is designed responsibly, (3) respects privacy, (4) follows human-centered design principles, (5) is subject to appropriate governance and oversight, and (6) interacts with individuals while respecting human’s cognitive capacities. We hope that these challenges and their associated research directions serve as a call for action to conduct research and development in AI that serves as a force multiplier towards more fair, equitable and sustainable societies.

I have a hunch, Jishin, that you just see so many broken individuals, day in and day out, in your work that you might think that the machines must do better.

I feel that AI is a tool, and can bring great benefits, but is also like fire ... to be used carefully, to cook and heat, not to burn down the house.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Tai Shi
        • Oct 2014

The only way I came to a moral realization that something in my life must change or I would die in agony was to approach death three times and think that it could happen at any time; the last 12 years have born me out. The most recent was to face a brain elision that I never thought possible, an AVM, Arterial Venus Malformation dumping used blood into the Right Temporal Lobe of my brain. This was causing aberrant behaviors as pointed out by the man who knew my medical history, who retired because he couldn't take the observation of death anymore. I was the exception to his rule as I took his advice. He pointed out that after my brain surgery, I would undergo changes for the better in my behavior. He also pointed out that modem medicine made my surgery safe, and uncompromising. I was lucky. The tumor was only about an inch under the scalp. It was a grade one or two tumor, and after, I do feel the changes Dr Allan Funk predicted I would. My fingers actually work better, and I am learning two finger typing. I am positive in ways no one would have expected. I give part pf my money to charity and this is new. Most of my money does go to myself, but with altruism. For example, I bought a beautiful new wedding band that is both durable and comfortable. It's a gold color, titanium wedding band. Beautiful, complimentary, and functional. I bought a functional, beautiful, durable personal medical alert bracelet, and it does on the back proclaim my past difficulties with mental illness. Many other purchases are regular in my life, and I do not go over my budget. I am purchasing Christmas gifts in April/May and I will have taken care of much debt I would otherwise find in December. My personal checking account keeps at least $100 in reserve, and by the end of the year, will be above $500. I am polite beyond words, and wordlessly, I have begun a campaign of listening rather than offering advice. Listening is more valuable, with careful observations. There are many more positions of sensitivity and giving which I had always believed I had, did not, and foster now. Science can be good. I have changed caring facilitating rather than accept old ideas not always fruitful. This was, and is the most difficult step I have taken and has begun to save my life by allowing change of hospital as well as listening to friends, relatives, and acquaintances. Jundo, please allow this post, and I will only post poetry the rest of the day.
        Gassho
        sat/lah
        Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-23-2023, 11:59 AM. Reason: corrections.
        Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Myoku
          • Jul 2010

Being a programmer and addict of all kinds of technical devices, especially computers here are my 2c: None of that will change us to the better. The only thing working ,I believe, is leading by example. When people experience happy buddhists (or whatever religion or beliefs), they tend to copy that. That's how advertising works, happy people make you wanna buy the stuff that makes them look so happy. If we are truly self sufficient, happy people, this will do it. Might take another 2500 years, probably much more, but imo you cant rush this development of society. And yes, there are good chances we bomb ourselves away from this planet before, thanks to technology. I'm afraid we just have to have an tremendous patience and keep walking the path. I hope this not sounds too negative, I just dont think technology is very helpful to spiritual development (say that on the treeleaf forum, which relies on technology so much, Myoku, well done).
          Gassho
          Myoku
          sat

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

Might take another 2500 years
            We won't be here without firm measures. No time to wait another 2500 years.

Spiritual enlightenment and ethical behavior arises in the brain. It was so in the Buddha's time, Dogen's time, and so today. So, change the brain, and ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

PS - I'll add to my statement ..,.

For 2000+ years, Buddha, Jesus, Dogen ... all failed miserably to bring either enlightenment or simple ethical, kind and peaceful behavior to the vast majority of the world (they did for some human beings, for sure ... but not most human beings).

... Now, there is a chance to do so. If we do not do so, we will self-destruct.

Comment

Working...