• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

My Speech in Taiwan: At the Buddhism, Science and the Future Conference

Dear All,

The video is now up of my big speech in which I lay out my little tiny plan to save the world, or at least help it a good bit, realizing many Buddhist aspirations along the way. We cannot ever totally fix this Saha world of birth and death, sickness and health in between, but we might bring a bit of the Pure Land down to earth.

I spell out my fears regarding coming technologies which can neither be stopped, nor effectively regulated, and which will thus often be misused ... but also my hope that, maybe, such powers can also be used in good ways which outweigh the bad. Perhaps, Buddhist visions which have eluded us for millennia for the vast sea of sentient beings are soon in reach on a wide scale as never known in history. I truly believe that this is Buddhism, and Zen's, great hope for the future, a path of Techno-Upaya to complement (never replace) our continuing, traditional ways.

I am very content to say that my speech was introduced by Ven. Huinen, the former President of Dharma Drum University, and a frequent commentator on Buddhism and Neuro-Science. In the audience were my fellow speakers, the noted scholars of Buddhism, Bernard Faure (great, funny guy, by the way, and we hit it off), Robert Sharf, Evan Thompson, the neuro-scientist with focus on meditation George Northoff, the Co-Abbot of the San Francisco Zen Center, Jiryu Rutschman-Byler (We got to know each other too, although I think I shocked him now and then. More later about by OrdinAItion of an AI system as a Zen Priest-in-Training) and others.
    If you would like to see a short video introducing the whole atmosphere of the conference, this really captures it:
    Please let me know any comments, impressions, concerns and the like. I speak this way because of my concerns for tomorrow.

Gassho, Jundo
    stlah

PS - On a plane tomorrow, back from Taipei to Japan.
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-05-2024, 02:57 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Houzan
    • Dec 2022

Very well delivered. Proud of our teacher. Thank you, Jundo

Gassho, Hōzan
    Satlah

Comment

• Onkai
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho Onkai
      Sat lah
      美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
      恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onkai
        Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho Onkai
        Sat lah
        Thank you Onkai and Hozan for your encouraging words. You are always very kind.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Bion
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2020

Well, clearly you’ve charmed everyone and probably provided great good for thought! It must’ve felt pretty good to be surrounded by folks who think about the same issues and are passionate about the same things as you! Fantastic job on that podium!

gassho
          sat and lah
          "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

Working...