X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

The Text of My Taiwan Speech ...

Here is the text of the speech that I will be delivering in Taiwan at the "Buddhism, Science and Future" this weekend (LINK). I think there will eventually be a video, but I am not sure. The artwork for the slides is by ChatGPT 4o.
    ~~~~

Jundo Cohen (Author of Building the Future Buddha)

-“BUILDING the FUTURE BUDDHA: Calling All 'White Hat' Researchers”

. dataurl518378.jpg

AI will not be used alone, in isolation, …
    dataurl518389.jpg

… but rather, A.I. will be used together with other new advances soon coming in medicine, neuro-science, genetics and bio-science, robotics, virtual reality and more. So, we should not just speak of the use of A.I. in isolation. We should also speak of A.I. as it supercharges and combines with these other new technologies that are coming, many in the next decades or even few years.
    This is scary. The fear of many of us is that A.I. and these other technologies will be used by militarists to build better weapons and super-soldiers, by dictators to enslave populations, by industrialists who simply wish to sell us more junk and make a profit.
    dataurl518391.jpg

We have a choice. We Buddhists and other ethical people cannot simply wait, passively, hoping that things will turn out for the best. We cannot say that it is just Samsara, and watch from a distance, from inside our protected monasteries, looking at the violence, poverty and pollution outside.

Now, I believe that these technologies are coming and cannot be stopped, or even easily regulated. I believe that “bad guys” will misuse them for bad things. So, if we cannot stop or effectively regulate these technologies, we should instead recognize that ….
    dataurl518393.jpg

… there is also presented a real chance to do GOOD offered by these new A.I. driven technologies, ways to cancel or lessen the bad uses …

It is our chance, if we act wisely, to employ these same new technologies to create, not a dystopian future, but instead a happier, more peaceful world of justice, realizing many ancient ideals of Buddhism to lessen violence, reduce hunger and poverty, cure diseases, bring more love, compassion and goodness into this world.
    dataurl518394.jpg

Incredible technological power is coming. I believe that, whether we like it or not, these new technologies cannot be stopped. Maybe they can be slowed, but not halted. If so, perhaps, these tools can be ethically used to realize what engaged Buddhists have long hoped for in this world, a bit of the Pure Land on this earth.
    dataurl518395.jpg

But in order to do so, we need groups of “white hat” researchers and scientists who can get ahead of and beat the “black hat” militarists, outwit the industrialists and get ahead of the other beings who will misuse these technologies. I think you know the symbol of the “white hat” as the “good guys” who save the town from the bad guys in cowboy movies. I believe that, sitting in this audience right now are some of those “white hat” scientists. Maybe you.
    dataurl518396.jpg

Traditionally, Buddhism has used such methods as meditation and teachings from the Precepts, teachings of Ahimsa non-violence, encouragement of Compassion and loving-kindness. We have emphasized non-greed and simplicity of desires, and we have hoped to instill these values in people. However it is my belief that these new A.I. driven Tech-Upaya, Tech-spedient means, can change human nature, can realize these ancient goals in ways that even our traditional Upaya and other Buddhist methods of the past could not do as effectively or widely.

Now, before I get into how we do this ethically, voluntarily, let me discuss what are the three changes I hope and believe we might be able to make to human nature very soon:
    dataurl518397.jpg

1. Reducing extreme anger that rises to the point of violence done in rage

We should employ advanced medicine to treat, and reduce, the propensity for some individuals to fall into extreme, uncontrolled degrees of anger to the point that they do violence in rage. I do not feel that we should eliminate all anger. I am a Buddhist who believes that moderate upset is not the problem. But extreme anger is different. Extreme anger, especially to the extent of boiling over, so that one person might pick up a stone and strike another, or a gun and shoot another, this is the problem. Most people do not become so angry under ordinary conditions that they would do physical harm to another. But some people do, some people cannot control their extremes of anger, and medical means to moderate such extremes of anger will be improving greatly in coming years. If we were to cure the disease of uncontrolled rage, we would reduce much violence in this world.
    dataurl518398.jpg

2. Increasing human empathy, so that even strangers feel like parents, brothers and children

Imagine a world in which one could no more walk past a stranger hungry and homeless in the street than one could walk past one’s one child if hungry and homeless. Imagine that someone would hesitate to raise a weapon against a stranger just as they would hesitate to do so against their own beloved mother, that people saw enemies as having the faces of their own brothers and sisters. Hunger and homelessness would begin to vanish, wars would be so much harder to fight when we suddenly see enemies as our loving children and friends.
    dataurl518399.jpg

I like to joke that, if something in our brains were cross-wired so that, suddenly, doing charity made us as aroused as sex, people would run to work in homeless shelters to feed the hungry like they run to the bedroom, men would watch images of cats being rescued from trees on the internet for their personal titillation. Charity orgasms?

Now, I do not think that we can and should make people so empathic and charitable that they forget to feed themselves, to take care of themselves. There can be too much self-sacrifice. Instead, a relatively moderate increase in human empathy, maybe 20 or 30% more than we are, would see great changes in society.

(CONTINUED BELOW)
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-19-2024, 09:55 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

(CONTINUED)

Finally, the third change that I believe may be increasingly possible, and that would have great positive effects in this world, is …
    3. Enhancing earlier satiation, satisfaction, reducing drives for excess consumption, compulsions to eat, drink, buy things in excess.

Imagine a dietary supplement we took which made us less hungry, less desirous, less prone to addiction, causing us to be satisfied more quickly and by less. Impossible? People would refuse it, not want something like that?
    Well, something like Ozempic may be a good example right now.

Even more powerful desire moderators are coming. I believe that coming treatments might make us more easily satisfied in a variety of ways, not needing to eat or intoxicate so much, nor purchase and throw away so much stuff as a dopamine kick. Now, we need some healthy desires to live. I believe that the Buddha was not against all human desires, only critical of harmful desires and any desires in excess quantity to the point where they become attachments. All things in moderation, some truly poisonous desires not at all.
    TAI 12 Ozempic.jpg

In Japanese Zen we have the word Oryoki, which is something like “eating enough” to live, and healthily. We can.

So, A.I. in its combination with coming medical science, with a better understanding of the human body and brain, might soon let us do these three things more easily, at the push of a button, a change of some brainwaves, or by ingesting an A.I. designed dietary supplement or pill.

But this leads to the most important question: Would it be ethical??
    . TAI 13 Oryoki.jpg

I believe that, yes, if done correctly, it can be done ethically, and many people will do so voluntarily, without force or compulsion, by their own informed consent and own free will. How? Ozempic shows us very much about what is medically ethical and socially possible here.

First off, as with any medical treatment, anything like this must be tested and shown to be safe and effective.

Second, anyone offered some treatment must do so with good explanation and fully informed consent.

Third, the effects must be truly healthy and beneficial.

But it must be voluntary. That is the hard point. In an age when millions and millions of people refused the Covid-19 vaccines …
    TAI 15 Anti-vax.jpg

... how do you persuade people to do something like this voluntarily? Of their own free will?

My answer is very simple, maybe too simple: People refused the vaccines because they did not bring them immediate peace, pleasure and a sense of well-being that was obvious to them. The benefit was too far removed from the treatment, not immediate. If someone were very sick in the hospital, for example, and a doctor would offer a treatment which would take away their fever and difficulty breathing right away, most people would accept the treatment right away. But because the benefit was not so immediate, people refused the vaccines.

However, it is a basic Buddhist teaching that people want to feel peaceful, happy, content and healthy. Our traditional practices and meditations are aimed at making people feel less angry, less greedy, so that they feel more peaceful, happy, content and healthy. Even today, consumers can be persuaded to do things just because they get some pleasure and feel good in doing so. The more pleasure or peace and satisfaction, the more good feeling, the more something is enticing.
    . TAI 16 Don't Mess Brain.jpg

I had a friend who (this is true) said to me that he did not like my idea, would never do anything to his body to change his mood or brain … and he said this to me while smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer and taking anti-depressants for his depression. It is true.

Today, voluntarily, to get a little peace and pleasure, people will engage in all manner of harmful behaviors of their own free will, destructive behavior, such as taking opioids, excess alcohol, engaging in unprotected sex, filling up on junk food and snorting cocaine, slowly killing themselves through their choices ... quite literally.

But what if there were treatments which gave people some inner peace, a feeling of subtle joy, a sense of well-being, while also leaving them actually, healthier, less prisoners of anger and excess cravings, more filled with love and satisfaction? You would not have to force anyone to take those things any more than we have to force people now to eat ice cream or do the bad things, but the difference is that this would be a good thing that actually leaves the person measurably better, stronger, longer-lived, kinder and nicer, more empathetic, generous, healthy and happier.
    . TAI 17 Depressed Limo.jpg

Someone asked me, would even rich, powerful people want to partake in something which would make them more loving toward strangers, more charitable and empathetic. Why would the capitalist industrialist or military dictator be interested in being less desirous of things or more peaceful. My answer is that, yes, I think many rich and powerful people in society would. Look at today, all the powerful billionaires in our world, the famous and beautiful movie stars too, who seem pretty unhappy despite all their money and power. They drink, take drugs, buys things to try to be happy. If there was something that truly made them happy in their life, content, peaceful about themselves … I bet even many rich and powerful world leaders would be tempted to try.

But even so, it does not have to be everyone. If, for example, only 30% of the population in western countries decided to participate, you would see 30% more donations to charities, 30% more voters supporting social programs at the voting booth, 30% less violence. That is not a scientific number, but I think you get my meaning: It does not need to be even a majority of citizens to radically steer the direction of our societies in good ways.
    . TAI 18 30 Percent.jpg

Now, I am not such a dreamer that I am talking about Buddha in a single pill.
    My point is again that A.I., in combination with a variety of new technologies in medicine, neuro-science, genetics and the like, will together bring a variety of new, powerful, healthful tools.
    . TAI 20 Tool Belt.jpg

It is like a toolbelt filled with new tools which we Buddhists can use to bring peace, non-violence and other good into this world. (By the way, thank you to ChatGPT 4o for most of our artwork today ???? )

(CONTINUED BELOW)
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-05-2024, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

(CONTINUED)

But, my central question, is it ethical? I make the following points. Yes, if!!!

TAI 21 Earth Ethical White.jpg

The technology is actually possible (I think it is), the technology is coming anyway, cannot be stopped, and is likely to be misused by others
      TAI 22 Earth Cant Stop.jpg

• The technology can be used for good in the world, to reduce anger and violence, increase human empathy thus reducing poverty, homelessness, wars, saving countless lives. All this, I believe is in keeping with our Precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow to Rescue all sentient beings.
      TAI 23 Earth Empathy.jpg
      • Any medical approaches must be tested and proven safe and effective. This is vital.
      • Nobody is forced in any way to do anything to themselves, all is by personal choice upon informed consent.
      TAI 25 Earth Informed Consent.jpg
      • Finally, the technique must truly leave one healthier in body and mind, making human lives better both for the person doing this and for the surrounding world.
      TAI 26 Earth Make Healthier Better.jpg

And so, A.I., in combination with other new technologies, will have many good uses in Buddhism, and some bad:
      I have no doubt, for example, that A.I., in combination with various new medical and neurological technologies which are coming, will allow almost anyone to experience what only advanced meditators have been able to experience for thousands of years, for example, Satori, realization, the dropping of our separate self, transcendence of the self/other divide. Early versions exist even now, using brain stimulation and the like, but coming versions will be must more advanced. That is a good use, I feel.

But there will be dangers there too … such as some addictive uses of technology for Buddhists, such as A.I. driven virtual reality experiences.
      . TAI 28 Virtual Pure Land.jpg

Why bother to chant “Amituofo" "Namu Ami Da Butsu” when you can just put on some glasses and override the other senses, and travel right to a virtual Pure Land or to Heaven. Maybe some accompanying drug will insure total peace and bliss. Some folks may choose to spend their whole lives there. That could be a concern, not that different from a Buddhist electronic opium den if used to extreme. Why live in this life when simulated life is so much more beautiful and pleasant?

And so, let us ask seek moderation, and good choices in our use of these technologies.
      . TAI 29 Turn Off FINAL.jpg

The Zen teachings remind us to keep life simple, in balance. (I would like to read this, from the end of my book, Building the Future Buddha): “Progress” is not always progress. Zen values should lead us to step away from the machines and digital screens for periods of time, and to reject and refuse some technologies completely. Turning off the power, we should frequently return to the minimalist, traditional, low-tech or no tech, rustic, small-scale, unplugged ways of life that Zen people have always cherished. We should often sit still and rest from our goals. We must not forget how to quit the quest for constant improvements and efficiency. We can be satisfied with enough when enough is truly enough.

THANK YOU
      Last edited by Jundo; 07-05-2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Shinshi
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jul 2010

I don't see any images except for the first post?

Something on my computer?

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
        I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
        E84I - JAJ

Comment

Working...