[FutureBuddha] How GPT4 would solve the crisis in Palestine ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha] How GPT4 would solve the crisis in Palestine ...

I asked GPT4 how to end the crisis in Palestine. Within a second, it commenced to answer as follows. The time is coming just to put the LLMs in charge ... more reasonable and long sighted, insightful and balanced than most humans I know, including our supposed "leaders."

~~~~

Bringing peace to Palestine requires a comprehensive and multifaceted approach that addresses the political, economic, social, and humanitarian aspects of the conflict. While the situation is complex and there are no easy solutions, here are some key steps that could contribute to peace in the region:

Negotiation and Dialogue: Direct negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians are crucial for finding a peaceful resolution. International mediation efforts can also facilitate dialogue and create a conducive environment for negotiations.

Two-State Solution: Many experts and international leaders advocate for a two-state solution, where Israel and Palestine coexist side by side as independent states. This solution would involve defining borders, agreeing on the status of Jerusalem, resolving the issue of refugees, and ensuring security for both Israelis and Palestinians.

End of Settlements: Israeli settlements in the occupied territories are a significant obstacle to peace. Stopping the construction of new settlements and finding a way to address existing ones is essential for creating an atmosphere conducive to peace negotiations.
    Respect for International Law: Both parties need to respect international law and human rights standards. This includes refraining from actions that could be considered war crimes or violations of human rights, such as indiscriminate attacks on civilians or the use of excessive force.

Improving Living Conditions: Palestinians in the occupied territories, particularly in Gaza, face dire economic and humanitarian conditions. Improving living standards, access to education, healthcare, and basic services can foster stability and hope for the future.
    Promoting Economic Development: Economic development initiatives can provide jobs and improve living standards, which can contribute to stability. International support for economic projects in Palestine can create opportunities for both Palestinians and Israelis.

Education and Dialogue: Promoting education that fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among the younger generations is vital. Dialogue programs that bring Israelis and Palestinians together can help break down stereotypes and build bridges of understanding.

Regional Cooperation:
    Regional actors, including neighboring Arab countries, can play a significant role in supporting the peace process. Building regional cooperation and alliances can create a more stable environment for peace efforts.

Support from the International Community: The international community, including the United Nations and major powers, can support the peace process through diplomatic initiatives, aid, and pressure on parties to adhere to international law and agreements.

Patience and Perseverance: Achieving lasting peace will likely take time and require persistence from all parties involved. Patience and a long-term commitment to dialogue and peaceful coexistence are essential.

It's important to note that these steps require the willingness and commitment of both Israelis and Palestinians, as well as the support of the international community. Ultimately, a just and lasting peace can only be achieved through sincere efforts, mutual respect, and understanding between the parties involved.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

That is interesting. Thank you, Jundo.

To be fair, that is pretty much the position advocated by the UN, the International Red Cross, and many other international organisations which do not have either political or national affiliations. If I was asked to come up with a solution, I would also have written pretty much the same.

Most global problems, as I see it, are not a problem of knowing what to do, and what the best action is. They are problems of elected leaders governing based on the self-interests of their own country, own political group, and even their own self. Sadly, the majority of countries, including my own, operate a different set of standards depending on whether actions are being committed by countries or actors who they consider allies, and those committed by those who they are neutral towards or have a difficult relationship with.

Perhaps a bigger question for ChatGPT would be to ask what conditions would be necessary for Israel to withdraw its settlers from the West Bank, and how we could move towards those conditions, and similarly, how we could bring countries such as Iran into the process of peacemaking rather than facilitating Hamas and Hezbollah as its proxies?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 11-01-2023, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kokuu
      That is interesting. Thank you, Jundo.

To be fair, that is pretty much the position advocated by the UN, the International Red Cross, and many other international organisations which do not have either political or national affiliations. If I was asked to come up with a solution, I would also have written pretty much the same.

Most global problems, as I see it, are not a problem of knowing what to do, and what the best action is. They are problems of elected leaders governing based on the self-interests of their own country, own political group, and even their own self. Sadly, the majority of countries, including my own, operate a different set of standards depending on whether actions are being committed by countries or actors who they consider allies, and those committed by those who they are neutral towards or have a difficult relationship with.

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday/lah-
      There will be no real solution to this, and 1001 other problems, until the kind of path outlined in my book is undertaken: a radical change to the more violent, selfish, objectifying aspects of human nature.

The UN, Red Cross, all the other international organizations and the Zen Peacemakers are pretty much just spinning their wheels until then.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
        The UN, Red Cross, all the other international organizations and the Zen Peacemakers are pretty much just spinning their wheels until then.
        Please help me to understand what you mean by this statement. It seems to me that these organizations have helped many people in many different contexts. The absence of such organizations in world conflict would, I believe, be devastating to those affected.

stlah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Geika
          Please help me to understand what you mean by this statement. It seems to me that these organizations have helped many people in many different contexts. The absence of such organizations in world conflict would, I believe, be devastating to those affected.

stlah
          Oh, they are helping save the lives of thousands of individuals! Their work is indispensable. They are feeding so many of the hungry, helping to tend to the wounded with medical care. Such efforts are not to be neglected. I volunteer locally, I donate what money I can.

But it is all a band-aid placed on a gaping bullet wound. The wounded and dead pile up, the unfed starve by the millions, the plastic builds and builds in the seas ...

Each day, 25,000 people, including more than 10,000 children, die from hunger and related causes.
          https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/arti...20and%20hunger.

The true root of the problem, the source of thousands of years of war and violence, our neglect of so many of the poor and hungry, and our current destruction of the planet due to overconsumption and greed, has its roots in human nature. The Buddha taught as much 2500 years ago. Until we change human nature, we cannot really treat and resolve such problems ... and can only continue applying band-aides.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
          Last edited by Jundo; 11-02-2023, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Geika
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Jan 2010

Thank you, Jundo

求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
            I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Geika
              Thank you, Jundo

I ran into a similar misunderstanding when I once said that our Brazilian Soto priest friend, Koun, maintaining a sitting group in a hospital for people passing by, was a wonderful, beautiful thing but also made me cry for all the suffering people in the world we are missing. People thought I was putting down Koun's efforts. I was not criticizing Koun, only expressing sorrow for the millions of others in the world we cannot help.

I had better watch my speech on how I express this in the future.

Also, I hear criticism sometimes for how some of my more radical ideas for saving humanity are risky. Yes, they are risky, even a bit mad, a crazy dream. But, then again, today I look to the images of thousands killed in Israel and Gaza, and Yuval Harari saying on Japanese TV, with all seriousness, that there is a real chance of nuclear war this week (first minute here) ...

... and I start to think that, for all the risks of new technologies and medicine to improve our violent natures, that potential must be no more risky than the current madness, today, which is a nightmare. Looking at the pictures of the dead and wounded children and others, I offer no apologies for my beliefs.

Gassho, J

stlah
              Last edited by Jundo; 11-02-2023, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Bion
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Jundo
                I ran into a similar misunderstand when I once said that our Brazilian Soto priest friend, Koun, maintaining a sitting group in a hospital for people passing by, was a wonderful, beautiful thing but also made me cry for all the suffering people in the world we are missing. People thought I was putting down Koun's efforts. I was not criticizing Koun, only expressing sorrow for the millions of others in the world we cannot help.

I had better watch my speech on how I express this in the future.

Also, I hear criticism sometimes for how some of my more radical ideas for saving humanity are risky. Yes, they are risky. But, then again, today I look to the images of thousands killed in Israel and Gaza, and Yuval Harari saying on Japanese TV, with all seriousness, that there is a real chance of nuclear war this week (first minute here) ...

... and I start to think that, for all the risks of new technologies and medicine to improve our violent natures, that potential must be no more risky than the current madness. Looking at the pictures of the dead and wounded children and others, I offer no apologies for my beliefs.

Gassho, J

stlah
                “Let us keep working, and thinking up new plans, crazy-wise plans to bring peace!”

Gassho
                Sat and lah
                "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Doshin
                  • May 2015

Doshin
                  Stlah

Comment

• Koushi
                    Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer
                    • Apr 2015

The interesting thing here is that by its very nature GPT4 is only echoing the most common/logical word, followed by the next, followed by the next, forming the paragraphs it gives back to you (and with programmed bias to avoid confrontational/violent answers).

For those not playing the LLM game at home: It's using the very words it's scraped from millions and millions of articles, opinions, and books fed to it to present those conclusions. In essence: the majority opinion here, worldwide, is already what was outlined—bias added to avoid "wipe x side off the face of the earth" etc.

Of course, the issue isn't that the majority wants peace—it's that the governments/political parties, power brokers, Lockheed Martins and Raytheons, et. al find no profit or glory in peace.

Greed, hatred, delusion. Greed, hatred, delusion.

Gassho,
                    Koushi
                    ST
                    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jishin
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Koushi

Of course, the issue isn't that the majority wants peace—it's that the governments/political parties, power brokers, Lockheed Martins and Raytheons, et. al find no profit or glory in peace.
                      The cycles of cease-fire and conflict in the Middle East are more profitable than a state of constant war or uninterrupted peace because:

1. Defense Industry Gains: The on-and-off nature of conflict keeps the demand for military supplies alive. This benefits defense contractors who see a steady market for their products as nations prepare for the possibility of conflict resuming.

2. Influx of Aid: During cease-fires, there's often a surge in foreign aid and investment to help rebuild, which are profitable, especially for local companies and elites. I suspect that if peace were to become permanent, this aid might dwindle as stability is achieved, cutting off a significant source of revenue.

3. Political Dynamics: The cycle gives political leaders leverage. They can use the situation to maintain power by justifying security measures or by showcasing their ability to draw in international support and aid during times of crisis.

4. Resource Battles: In a region rich in resources like oil and water, the intermittent conflict allows for the profitable renegotiation of control and access to these resources.

5. Economic Opportunities: Cease-fires are often followed by economic reforms tied to international aid, which can benefit the elite who are positioned to take advantage of these changes. Lasting peace might lead to a fairer economic spread, which could threaten the profits of those currently in advantageous positions.

6. Market Volatility: The unpredictability caused by the conflict cycles can be exploited in the markets, particularly with oil. This volatility seems to be something that traders and certain countries might profit from.

7. Reconstruction Profits: There's a lot of money to be made in rebuilding efforts post-conflict. Companies involved in this sector might find the intermittent cessation of hostilities quite profitable, whereas continuous peace might saturate their market, leading to less demand for their services.

8. Cease fires are good for tourism.

I think the status quo remains status quo.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

Working...