[FutureBuddha] David Chalmers: Virtual Worlds are Real Worlds ... Rich, Rewarding ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha] David Chalmers: Virtual Worlds are Real Worlds ... Rich, Rewarding ...

Philosopher David Chalmers speaks on new immersive realities.

David Chalmers is a very creative thinker. Here is a recent presentation by him on AI and the creation of fully immersive virtual, simulated worlds some of which we may even come to inhabit (or may already be inhabiting) ... and his proposal that "virtual" reality is a genuine reality ... that a perfect simulation is perfectly real ... and can be full of richness and meaning ...

His presentation starts about 5 minutes in ...

He also has this to say on the coming Singularity (as AI designs AI better and faster than we can even understand), and its implications for creating new immersive realities.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-11-2023, 02:39 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • seanwright
    • Jun 2020

Both very interesting videos that raise very important questions as we move forward with our ever-advancing technology. I suppose something is considered 'real' if it has perceived value. If a virtual world brings people together and enables them to share ideas, then who is to say it doesn't exist? Treeleaf is an example of a virtual world which brings value and meaning to many people (including myself) - just as much as a 'physical' zen sangha does for many others. Neither is better than the other and both have equal merit. A very thought-provoking topic so thank you, Jundo.

Gassho, Sean
    SatLah

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by seanwright
      ... Treeleaf is an example of a virtual world which brings value and meaning to many people (including myself) - just as much as a 'physical' zen sangha does for many others. ...
      You mean that I am only "virtual" to you? I felt real this morning when I had breakfast.

Gassho, J

stlah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tokan
        • Oct 2016

...back to the 'Jundo-Roshi-bot' concept I guess...

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
        平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
        I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

Working...