[FutureBuddha (9)] Maitreya ... the Future Buddha ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha (9)] Maitreya ... the Future Buddha ...

Zen and Mahayana Buddhism are not only about being "in the present," letting the future take care of itself.

There has always been a millenarian tendency in Mahayana Buddhism, teachings offering visions of an hoped for future age of peace and goodness, to someday come about even in this earthly world. Very often, the symbol of that bright future is centered on "Maitreya," the so-called "Future Buddha."

Shakyamuni Buddha [is said to have] predicted that due to the inevitable degeneration of the times, his own teachings would last just five thousand years before disappearing from this world. People will grow more and more immoral and their lifespan will gradually decrease, as will their health, stature and fortune. While such delusions as miserliness, hatred and jealousy gain strength, the world will go through prolonged periods of famine, disease and continuous warfare until it eventually resembles a vast battlefield. Following which, upon the appearance of Maitreya, would come a time of great peace and redemption. ... Maitreya's appearance will mark a great turning point in the fortunes of this world.

Maitreya (Sanskrit: मैत्रेय) is regarded as the future Buddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. As the 5th and final Buddha of the current kalpa, Maitreya's teachings will be aimed at reinstating the dharma. In all branches of Buddhism, he is viewed as the direct successor of Gautama Buddha. Maitreya is the earliest bodhisattva around whom a cult developed and is mentioned in scriptures from the 3rd century CE. In some Buddhist literature, such as the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita. Despite many religious figures and spiritual leaders claiming to be Maitreya throughout history, all Buddhists firmly agree that these were false claims, indicating that Maitreya, the Buddha of the Future, is yet to appear.
    In centuries past in China especially, but even today, many (doubtful) figures have appeared in the Buddhist world claiming to be Maitreya come to earth (not unlike the folks who claim to be Jesus reborn in that other religion).

Even Dogen spoke of Maitreya, and our meal chant during Oryoki ritual contains a dedication to "Maitreya Buddha, the Future Buddha." Dogen spoke of Maitreya as also beyond time, beyond being born or not born, yet being born in all of us and being brought to life in our actions now. Dogen tells this story in Eihei Koroku:

Here is a story. Dongshan [Liangjie] said to monk Yunju, “Long ago Nanquan asked a monk who was lecturing on the Sutra of Maitreya’s Descent, ‘When will Maitreya descend?’ The monk Yunju replied, ‘He is presently in the heavenly palace, and will be born in the future.’ Nanquan said, ‘There is no Maitreya up in heaven, and no Maitreya down on the earth.’ Following this story, Yunju asked, “If it is simply that there is no Maitreya up in heaven and no Maitreya down on the ground, I wonder who granted his name [Maitreya]?” Dongshan immediately shook his meditation chair and said, “[Yunju].”

The teacher Dogen further says: There is no Maitreya up in heaven, and no Maitreya down on the earth. Maitreya is not Maitreya; [and so] Maitreya is Maitreya. Even though this is so, doesn’t everybody want to see Maitreya?

Dogen raised his whisk and said: You have met with Maitreya. Already having met him, everyone, try to say whether Maitreya exists or does not exist. Dogen threw down his whisk, got down from his seat, and circumambulated the hall.

I have titled my book "Building the Future Buddha" in my belief that, perhaps, we need to bring the future Buddha and a better world to life through our choices, peaceful and caring actions, including the wise use of technology and the challenges that such tools place before us.

The vision of Maitreya's world is not better described than in "The Sutra That Expounds the Descent of Maitreya Buddha and His Enlightenment" (弥勒下生経 - Miroku Geshō Kyō). Here is a portion:

“The land of the Buddha Maitreya shall be a place of life, pristine … Its ground shall be wide and level like a mirror, covered in beautiful flowers and tender grasses, with a multitude of trees and blossoming fruits. ... The many cities and towns shall lay but a rooster's flight between them. … The residents will be wise, virtuous, joyful and peaceful, satisfied in their sense desires. All will be free of sicknesses caused by cold or heat, wind or fire, and none shall suffer from the nine afflictions (of anger, hate, fear and the rest). People will live to be 84,000 years old, not dying early. … The city will be perfect in setting, exquisite in beauty, lavishly adorned, sparkling and immaculate. … its streets wide and swept clean. … There shall be pillars of shining jewels, 10 leagues high, such that no candles are needed night or day. … Everywhere there are heaps of gold, silver and jewels … The ground cracks open to receive human waste, then closes again, as flowers spring forth to cover all stench. … When people grow old, then frail, they go by their choosing to the mountains and forests, to sit quietly. With thoughts of Buddha in mind, they die peacefully, joyfully, then to be reborn. … In this peaceful and happy age, there is no threat from robbers or thieves, no enemies, no need to lock a door. Nor are there calamities of flood or fire, no wars or weapons, no famine, no toxins doing harm. The people live always with lovingkindness, with respect for one another, in harmony … like sons who loves their father, like a mother who loves her sons
    More, from page 15 here [PDF]: https://bdkamerica.org/download/1955

How do you feel about such a utopian tendency in traditional Buddhism?

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-05-2023, 03:35 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tokan
    • Oct 2016

Hi all

The degeneration of time I understand to be common in Indian traditions, especially in this age (Kali Yuga), though the timeline is quite different - 5000 years versus 432000!

I'm not so sure that the Utopian view is unrealistic, much of science fiction 'predicts' such a future, and it is only human behaviour that is holding us back from progressing more quickly towards that Utopia. Jundo, is it time for you to start marketing that 'Bodhisattva Vow' compliance vaccine? Or just the Eightfold Path tablet (take once per day).

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tokan
      I'm not so sure that the Utopian view is unrealistic, much of science fiction 'predicts' such a future, and it is only human behaviour that is holding us back from progressing more quickly towards that Utopia. Jundo, is it time for you to start marketing that 'Bodhisattva Vow' compliance vaccine? Or just the Eightfold Path tablet (take once per day).
      We will soon get into discussing potential technologies which might actually develop along those lines. Ethical use will be the top issue, respectful of civil and human rights.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Comment

• Tokan
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Jundo
        We will soon get into discussing potential technologies which might actually develop along those lines. Ethical use will be the top issue, respectful of civil and human rights.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
        Thanks Jundo, and yes, we have been down that road before in other threads about 'the future.' The ethics is a great debate as long as the multi-faceted view can be appreciated by all. A quick example, requiring people to take a drug that inhibits aggression might be unethical, but making that same medication unavailable for use would also be unethical (in my view). There also seems to be great difficulty reconciling the rights of the individual and the group, the huge debate regarding mandatory COVID vaccination is probably the most recent and most significant example, with no clear outcome either!

I look forward to where we go with this...

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tokan
          Thanks Jundo, and yes, we have been down that road before in other threads about 'the future.' The ethics is a great debate as long as the multi-faceted view can be appreciated by all. A quick example, requiring people to take a drug that inhibits aggression might be unethical, but making that same medication unavailable for use would also be unethical (in my view). There also seems to be great difficulty reconciling the rights of the individual and the group, the huge debate regarding mandatory COVID vaccination is probably the most recent and most significant example, with no clear outcome either!

I look forward to where we go with this...

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
          Yes, I just today wrote an email to a fellow about this who said that what I propose was misunderstood by the interviewer in a podcast interview I gave (I will post that another time). We will talk about it in greater detail soon ...

I did think that [ ... ] missed the point sometimes where I emphasized that, if and only if, certain technologies are (1) inevitable and coming anyway, cannot be halted, cannot be ignored (2) have a high chance of being misused by bad actors unless we use them in beneficial ways, (3) can be shown to be effective and safe to use, and (4) can be introduced in an ethical way respectful of individual free choice, civil and human rights, then we should consider to use them. An example is pharmaceuticals or anything that would change the human genome to make human beings slightly less prone to violence driven by excess anger, a bit more compassionate and empathetic toward their fellow sentient beings, and more easily satisfied in their desires to consume to excess, become addicted to drugs or alcohol, or the like. However, some folks just hear the word "genes" and immediately think "that must = Nazi eugenics." I think the person did that, missing the "if and only if (1) thru (4)" part.
          Gassho, J

stlah
          Last edited by Jundo; 02-05-2023, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Seiko
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Jul 2020

There has always been a millenarian tendency in Mahayana Buddhism, teachings offering visions of an hoped for future age of peace and goodness, to someday come about even in this earthly world. Very often, the symbol of that bright future is centered on "Maitreya," the so-called "Future Buddha."
            Sadly, the man I met 45 years ago, who called himself Maitreya, had got things badly wrong.

I think of the real Maitreya (ha!) and his perfect world as symbolic. An example of goodness.

On one level, his world is the future, perhaps that's where he will always be. Never travelling to now.

On another level, perhaps humans have the ability to become Maitreyas (note the 's') if they keep the precepts.

Gasshō
            Seiko
            stlah
            Gandō Seiko
            頑道清光
            (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seiko

Sadly, the man I met 45 years ago, who called himself Maitreya ...
              Was that somebody like these folks? There are many such folks, today and in past centuries, just as there are folks proclaiming themselves Jesus returned and prophets on streetcorners. Usually, it does not end well. Here is one who seems to cover all his bases:

JESUS CHRIST THE AVATAR
              Sanat Buddha Maitreya Kumara – H.H. Jetsun Gyalwa Jampa Gonpo
              Radiating Blessings from Shambhala Monastery in Northern California

Reincarnation of Jesus Christ the Avatar, Tulku Buddha Maitreya, the Yogi Christ, the World Teacher, the Planetary Logos

Sanat Buddha Maitreya Kumara is the Native American-born Reincarnation of Jesus Christ the Avatar, the living incarnated "Future" Buddha Maitreya, born in Oregon in 1951. As the Planetary Logos, He is known as the Yogi Christ & World Teacher, and is known by many names through countless incarnations. In this current age, He is known by many in the East as The Buddha Maitreya or by his honorific Tibetan title, His Holiness Jetsun Gyalwa Jampa Gonpo.

I am not sure if this fellow proclaims himself Maitreya, or merely Shakyamuni Buddha returned to earth:

H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III has been recognized by the most highly realized practitioners of Buddhism as the third incarnation of the original Buddha, Dorje Chang Buddha. Dorje Chang Buddha is the teacher of all buddhas–past and future–including the buddha of our current era, The Most Honored One, Shakyamuni Buddha. Only one other time, did this great holy being incarnate in this world and that was as the layman, Ven. Vimalakirti, at the time of Shakyamuni Buddha. The Vimalakirti Sutra documents His teachings at that time.

... It is not surprising that this recognition has created some controversy and that many are threatened by this revelation. The fact is that H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III’s mind practice is different from that of all other dharma kings, rinpoches, and dharma masters in the world.

A Holy Feat: H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Gave a Proof of True Buddha-Dharma

This event occurred on May 19, 2014. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III was visiting Mexico at the time, accompanied by an entourage of more than 20 people. It was shortly after five o’clock in the afternoon. On the way back after visiting an ancient Maya site near the city of Merida, the Mexican tour guide led them to visit the Temozon Resort Hotel, which is a high-class resort hotel built from a manor farm. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III and two top-notch holy virtuous ones were sitting at a table near the window inside a coffee shop. Right in front of the window at a distance of about 100 meters (328 feet) was a rectangular-shaped swimming pool. At that time, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III called His entourage together and made an announcement:

“You came on this trip with me and saw many eye-opening scenes. However, today you all will soon see an amazing dance that you have never seen before. In a short while, many birds will fly to this swimming pool to perform a ‘Dragonfly Stepping on Water’ dance. The birds will dive down, shuttling above and treading on the surface of the water. They will step on the water and then soaring upward into the sky. This is also the dance of ‘Spiritual Birds Stepping on Water.’ They will also continue to perform after the rain starts.” ... If they do show up, that means I am truly Dorje Chang Buddha III, representing all Buddhas in the ten directions and, on the other hand, those dharma kings, rinpoches, venerable ones, and great dharma masters who slandered me are either evil masters or swindlers. The fact will be shown when the birds come. You just wait and see. Moreover, in a sudden moment, celestial deities will cast a heavy rainstorm within one or two seconds, providing an accompanying performance to the dance. However, the birds will not be driven away or stop due to the rain. You will soon see, whether Dorje Chang Buddha III expounded true Buddha-dharma or evil dharma and whether those who engaged in slandering and defamation are demonic persons, evil masters, and swindlers or not.”

After only one minute or so, many birds did fly to the sky above the swimming pool. There were no birds at any other place. They were circling and flipping very fast above the swimming pool. Some began dashing downward. Shortly afterwards, just as H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III had predicted a few minutes ago, the birds dived down from the sky and had their feet stepping on the water, and then flew upward back to the sky. The dance repeated this way over and over again.

Then, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III said, “It is going rain heavily right away.” Everyone started to count silently, one, two, …… Exactly as told, in less than two seconds, a heavy downpour suddenly started. The bird did not stop or leave, and continued to dance within the rainstorm. Every detail of the prediction made ahead of time by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III came true completely, proving that H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III’s Buddha-dharma is the true dharma and that those who slandered His Holiness the Buddha are all demonic persons, evil masters, and swindlers.

Perhaps I am running Treeleaf all wrong? I may need more colorful robes, pyramid shaped huts, a fancier name, and some bird miracles.

Gassho, J

stlah
              Last edited by Jundo; 02-06-2023, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Tokan
                • Oct 2016

Hi Jundo, The Great Master of Bending Ordinary Things into Ordinary Things that are not so Ordinary After All (is six bows enough?)

I definitely think you should try the hair piece with a mandala necklace the size of a dinner plate. I also like the 'Disneyland' approach to the zendo in the picture, more energy-channelling pyramids please!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Comment

• Rich
                  • Apr 2009

“The ground cracks open to receive human waste”. This would save so much in plumbing repairs. Do you realize that some people don’t know that if the water overflows from the toilet there is a water valve behind it to shut the water off. So what you describe is my grand delusion. When myself and all beings are saved from suffering this perfect world appears. I will continue to practice to be present with compassionate heart to understand the suffering and release from suffering of all beings

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  _/_
                  Rich
                  MUHYO
                  無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Shokai
                    Treeleaf Priest
                    • Mar 2009

AND, they all applaud on cue; that's one thing you'll really need to rehearse with this herd of cats.

gassho, shokai
                    stlah

FB_IMG_1675647665160.jpg
                    Last edited by Shokai; 02-06-2023, 02:41 AM.
                    合掌,生開
                    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shokai
                      AND, they all applaud on cue; that's one thing you'll really need to rehearse with this herd of cats.
                      Yes. Actually, this is how all my talks sound in my own head ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Seiko
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2020

Was that somebody like these folks?
                        The man I met in the 1970s is now in prison. My younger self knew nothing of his crimes, but I did intuitively feel that he was dangerous. I am ever relieved and grateful that I warned friends to stay away from him.

Gasshō
                        Seiko
                        stlah
                        Gandō Seiko
                        頑道清光
                        (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seiko
                          The man I met in the 1970s is now in prison. My younger self knew nothing of his crimes, but I did intuitively feel that he was dangerous. I am ever relieved and grateful that I warned friends to stay away from him.

Gasshō
                          Seiko
                          stlah
                          Oh, I know who that is. The gardener. I don't think that he was an actual Buddhist priest, just a Japanese fellow who sold himself as such. He hurt children, which is inexcusable ...

Buddha Maitreya: Monk jailed for sex offences
                          Buddha Maitreya, 82, was already serving a four-year sentence before new charges were brought.

So tragic.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Chikyou
                            • May 2022

Jundo, what are your thoughts on the popular conflation of Budai/Hotei (the laughing Buddha) with Maitreya?

I have several Budai statues around my house, my mother loved Budai and she had many statues of him. When she passed, i inherited them.

This one is my favorite and has claimed a place in my music room:

20230219_152636.jpg

Gassho,
                            SatLah
                            Kelly
                            Chikyō 知鏡
                            (KellyLM)

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by KellyLM
                              Jundo, what are your thoughts on the popular conflation of Budai/Hotei (the laughing Buddha) with Maitreya?

I have several Budai statues around my house, my mother loved Budai and she had many statues of him. When she passed, i inherited them.

This one is my favorite and has claimed a place in my music room:

[ATTACH]8235[/ATTACH]

Gassho,
                              SatLah
                              Kelly
                              Hi Kell,

Ah! Here is a little information on "Hotei" (as he is known in Japanese, "Budai" is a Chinese pronunciation), the "pudgy Buddha" sometimes said to be Maitreya, and that is probably best known from Chinese restaurants and such ...

The image of Hotei is almost always seen carrying a cloth or linen sack. It is usually filled with many precious items, including candy for children, food, or the woes of the world. Sometimes it can be filled with children, as they are seen as some of those precious items of this world. In some scenes he may be found sitting on a cart drawn by boys.

The large, fat belly is a symbol of happiness, luck, and generosity.

The name Hotei actually means "cloth bag" or "glutton." A legend has it that if a person is to rub his belly, it brings forth wealth, good luck, and prosperity.

The Laughing Buddha, also known as Hotei in Japan, Pu-Tai in China, embodies the ideals of the good life: health, happiness, prosperity and longevity.

[He is traditionally depicted as a fat, bald monk wearing a simple robe. He carries his few possessions in a cloth sack, being poor but content. He would excitingly entertain the adoring children that followed him and was known for patting his large belly happily. His figure appears throughout Chinese culture as a representation of both contentment and abundance. Budai attracted the townspeople around him as he was able to predict people’s fortunes and even weather patterns. The wandering monk was often inclined to sleep anywhere he came to, even outside, for his mystical powers could ward off the bitter colds of snow and his body was left unaffected. https://www.jstor.org/stable/593188?...rossref&seq=1]

Monks and commercial travelers spread the Buddhist message throughout the East, northward into Afganistan and Tibet, eastward to China and Japan, as well as south into Ceylon and Indonesia. As with any religious message, changes in the nature of Buddhist practice and understanding were inevitable as the religion was absorbed within different cultures.

Scholars have long commented on the contrast between India’s penchant for lofty idealisms as against the Chinese focus on the practicalities of the here-and-now. Over the centuries within China, Buddhist notions of happiness based on self-mastery and enlightened insight were fused with popular Chinese life-ideals of happiness through material prosperity.

Iconographers in the 10th century summed up these various elements of happiness in a representation of the fat Laughing Buddha, clutching his prayer beads in one hand and with a bag of gold in the other. The large number of children usually surrounding him illustrates another Chinese virtue - a large family consisting of many children.

Moreover, there is belief, that the Laughing Buddha is in fact modeled on an historical figure, a fat wandering Zen monk named Pu Tai, who possibly claimed to be an incarnation of the future Buddha Maitreya (Chinese Mi-lo-fo; Japanese Miroku). One poem attributed to him reads:

Mi-lo, true Mi-lo
                              Reborn innumerable times
                              From time to time manifested to men
                              The men of the age do not recognize you
                              More here ...

And if even that is not enough for you, more here on Hotei in Japanese-Chinese art: https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/hotei.shtml

Gassho, Jundo (who is looking in the shower more like Hotei these days too, need to be careful!)

STLah

Comment

Working...