[FutureBuddha (4)] Closing the Temple Doors on Tomorrow (and a few Future Koans)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha (4)] Closing the Temple Doors on Tomorrow (and a few Future Koans)

Perhaps we Zen folks should do toward the future what we have sometimes done in the past when the world becomes too troubled: Close the monastery doors to the outside, keep to our own simple ways.

Perhaps we should just stand silent, wisely, not pulled in to all the changes going on outside the gates.

Or, maybe we will find stillness amid all the change, and write new Koans, transcending time and the complexities of Samsara ... this world of passing time.

What do you feel?

And if you have any new Koans to add, please post them here!

From my book:

~~~

And as always, future Zen folks will wisely avoid the philosophical debates, putting down such questions completely. We had best stick to our trusty Koans, although they too may have some new twists:

Does (UNIX) ‘DOG’ command have Buddha Nature?”… MU (Memory Unit)!!

0s and 1s, not 1 not 2.

A system which runs, yet neither boots up nor down.

What was your name before your parents were cloned?

Find the True “I” in AI.

A circuit both open and closed at once.

Show me your Original Interface!

What is the sound of a one device “handshake”?

OM, without resistance, Ohm.

~~~

Because I am a Zen man, I wish to avoid becoming lost in words and scriptural debate. I will point out directions, offer some conundrums and a few possible conclusions … then quietly bow out of the room … leaving others who are interested to argue the fine points. Sometimes saying just a little is enough.

In fact, in Zen, silence is often the wisest response.

Some Buddhists certainly will disagree with where I draw my lines of truth versus skepticism regarding some Buddhist tenets. Some may dislike my proposals, or my personal interpretation of specific Buddhist doctrines, teachings, practices, Precepts and morality. Some will say that Buddhism should ignore the issues I pose in this book and just turn inward. Some may say that Buddhism should turn away from the excesses of society, locking the monastery doors, taking no real action beyond chanting and meditation. Some may argue that Buddhism has survived just fine for 25 centuries, so does not need a change of course, a tuning up or helping out at all, that it will go on for another 25 centuries, or even untold ages, without a single intervention or transformation.

I disagree.

Personally, I believe that if Buddhism is to survive for another century, let alone 25 or 250 centuries, further adjustments and reformulations will be required. As well, changes in Buddhism are bound to occur anyway, whether we wish so or not, accompanying the radical changes which will happen to human beings, our biology and abilities, and to society with passing time. Even the Buddha spoke of passing ages, very different eras and worlds, time that runs in cycles of long Kalpa, each millions or trillions of years long.

ln Zen, we are "in the now," yet we are worshipers of the past, with a sometimes romantic focus on events 500 or 2,500 years ago. Why not also consider 500 or 2,500 years onward from now, and even more? Truth is Truth for all ages. The purpose of this book is to imagine what Buddhism, and especially Zen Buddhism, might be like in some of these potential futures. What relevance will Buddhist and Zen wisdom still have? Just as importantly, what role can Buddhist teachings play in making sure that future changes head in good directions for human beings, our virtual selves, sentient machines, ethically programed drones and robot soldiers, space colonists, space aliens (there may be no close encounters soon, but they are out there, somewhere, in our vast, vast universe), genetically enhanced species including factory farm animals, human organ farms, clones and apes with human DNA in their brains, all the creatures and creations that will co-exist with or replace us, and whatever will remain at the end of time.

How can Buddhist ethics guide us through the coming changes and challenges?

And in the face of all this “progress” and technology, what does Zen Buddhism have to offer the world so that we keep life simple, in balance? Is “progress” always progress? Aren’t we missing how to be at home and content “here and now” as we rush toward “the future?” Zen values should lead us to step away from the machines and digital screens much of the time (rejecting and refusing some technologies completely), while encouraging us to retain and, even more than today, increase and refine our ability to appreciate the small, simple and ordinary things in life. Doing so can preserve and uplift our humanity. There may be seasons to return to the minimalist, traditional, low-tech or no tech, rustic, small-scale, natural, socially withdrawn hermitages and ways of life that Zen people have always cherished. We should learn to put down the purchased goods and keyboards, sit still and rest from our goals, quit the quest for constant improvements and efficiency, restrain the endless hunger for achievements, turn off the flashing lights and ceaseless noise. We can be satisfied with enough and not more, for enough is enough. We can learn not to be too desirous, too material, even in a world of increasing material abundance.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-16-2023, 01:18 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tokan
    • Oct 2016

Hi Jundo & sangha

It is my view that there is likely a place for both 'the Buddhism of the future' in the sense of technological advances and even the inclusion of AI in time (Treeleaf will have the first zendo on Mars I'm sure, maybe with an AI priest!) But I believe that we humans do not genetically evolve as fast as our technology and, at heart, we thrive in simplicity. Even in recent decades there has been the trend that we can escape the stress and demands of modern life on a Buddhist retreat. I for one, do not encourage this perception, as I believe we discover more about how to truly live while on retreat if we open ourselves up to that experience, and not worry about how many emails and texts we're not reading while on said retreat. I'm not one for simply moving with the times because the times move. I cringe at my children's Catholic school mass because it is all drum & bass and not a word of Latin! But then didn't the Buddha look for the constant amongst all the change? Is that how Buddhism will survive? Does it even matter? (being heretical!)

Modern Buddhism, and particularly Zen in the West appears to have a tension between sincerity and form. Sincerity in the sense that repetition of Japanese ritual that makes no cultural sense in the West can lack sincerity. Form in the sense that, for example with secular Buddhism, too much has been let go, reducing the practice to a form of psychotherapy - caveat - my personal view only. I believe we do two things right here - we honour sincerity and form in equal measure, and we retain the spiritual and transformative dimensions of Zen practice that are unique to Zen. Possibly a third thing is that we allow these debates to take place at all.

Gassho, deep bows to all, Tokan (satlah)
    平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
    I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Doshin
      • May 2015

My minor thoughts which are out of character for me because I mostly hang out in the shallow end of the Zen pool. Specifically my practice is based on “sitting” for whatever value or no value that offers. Secondly I hope my life is obviously guided by the precepts because that is what I strive for. Simplicity is wonderful but not a full time practice for me. I have spent much of my life living and being in-wild places where the natural world is mostly free of humans and where a wonderful peace is found. I better understand myself and my place on this rock hurling around the sun. However I do not live permanently in a cave or mountain top separate from the rapidly evolving world though sometimes it sounds inviting. I am part of the world and do not attempt an existence totally separate. I have always believed it was my responsibility to help guide that complicated world where other humans exist. I admit to being judgmental of those who retreat from bringing change by escaping the world permanently.

The world is moving rapidly forward by the actions of a primate that posses a brain unlike that which has evolved before on this earth. The source of wonders and tragedies. We are the children of a meteor that slammed into the earth 66 million years ago. Without that horrific event dinosaurs mostly would still be supreme. They survived for almost two hundred million years with a different kind of brain. I do not think paleontology has documented they had any spiritual practice other than living mostly in the moment. So here we are a species with a complex brain creating technology that changes things faster than we can keep up and brings both good and bad. It is a wondrous brain that needs the spiritual stories and paths so we can tame the challenges our brains bring.

My thought is our practice is a tool to help us live in a better harmony. Not separate but part of this change. It is happening and will continue to happen. Our brains could be our demise and we will go down as the species with the shortest existence on earth. We have been here a mere 300,000 years and look at what we have done. Especially the last 10,000 years when the Anthropocene kicked in. I think the precepts and that good for nothing sitting we do will help those of the future walk within this change with more kindness, compassion, reflective thought and better understanding of our place. Will Zen save the world? No. But it will help take the edge off for many and thus benefit others.

I have gone on too long so time to quit.

Doshin
      St
      Last edited by Doshin; 01-14-2023, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Ryumon
        • Apr 2007

Buddhism, and zen, have always adapted to new cultures. I don’t think Buddhism or its practice is going to change because of technology, but the way it is delivered will certainly change. Just as Treeleaf is virtual, I can imagine other virtual sanghas arising.

Will this change the practice? Will this change the methods? Is sitting alone in a room next to a computer any different than Bodhidharma sitting in a cave for nine years?

Zen has always been an inner practice that is shared with the outside world. Perhaps the sharing will change, but the practice will remain consistent.

Gassho,
        Ryūmon (Kirk)
        Sat
        I know nothing.

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

I entertain in the book the possibility that perhaps some aspects of the wisdom (such as insight into the wholeness of emptiness), compassion, loving kindness, generosity, peace, and other like states of heart and mind which our Buddhist practice seeks to instill within us (including through Zazen sitting) might be facilitated, nurtured and otherwise helped along by various developments in technology, including medicine, biology and other advanced understanding of body and mind. What we have sought for millenia through sitting still, Oryoki and washing floors might (to give one quick example) be partially encouraged within us by, for example, uploading, implanting or simulating in our sleep mental and bodily memores of our having done all that sitting, Oyoki and floor washing, for example, all to same effect.

That would just be old Zen wine in new bottles, ancient wisdom delivered through new and more effective/efficient means into the human heart.

Gassho, J

stlah
          Last edited by Jundo; 01-15-2023, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• Shonin Risa Bear
            • Apr 2019

"One blade of grass" is open to all, closed to those who do not see it.

gassho
            ds did sit
            Visiting priest: use salt

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

I changed a little how I framed my questions in the top post:

Perhaps we Zen folks should do toward the future what we have sometimes done in the past when the world becomes too troubled: Close the monastery doors to the outside, keep to our own simple ways.

Perhaps we should just stand silent, wisely, not pulled in to all that changes going on outside the gates.

Or, maybe we will find stillness amid all the change, and write new Koans, transcending time and the complexities of Samsara ... this world of passing time.

What do you feel?

And if you have any new Koans to add, please post them here!
              Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Doshin

The world is moving rapidly forward by the actions of a primate that posses a brain unlike that which has evolved before on this earth. The source of wonders and tragedies. We are the children of a meteor that slammed into the earth 66 million years ago. Without that horrific event dinosaurs mostly would still be supreme. They survived for almost two hundred million years with a different kind of brain. I do not think paleontology has documented they had any spiritual practice other than living mostly in the moment. So here we are a species with a complex brain creating technology that changes things faster than we can keep up and brings both good and bad. It is a wondrous brain that needs the spiritual stories and paths so we can tame the challenges our brains bring.

My thought is our practice is a tool to help us live in a better harmony. Not separate but part of this change. It is happening and will continue to happen. Our brains could be our demise and we will go down as the species with the shortest existence on earth. We have been here a mere 300,000 years and look at what we have done. Especially the last 10,000 years when the Anthropocene kicked in. I think the precepts and that good for nothing sitting we do will help those of the future walk within this change with more kindness, compassion, reflective thought and better understanding of our place. Will Zen save the world? No. But it will help take the edge off for many and thus benefit others.
                I am going to stick this in the book somewhere, Doshin, although I will make them my words (Maybe I will give you some credit in a footnote or something though. )

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

Working...