• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bion
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2020

TREELAF PODCAST: GENJO KOAN SERIES

Hello, Sangha

Our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast begins a new series of talks, this time on master Dogen´s Genjo Koan, based on the modernized translation of the fascicle by our very own Jundo, found in his book ¨The Zen Master's Dance¨

The first episode in the series, containing a recording of the talk given during our July monthly Zazenkai gathering, is now available

HERE

Originally posted by Jundo
    The text for our talk today, the first in a monthly series, is based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE
    A Guide to Understanding Dōgen and Who You Are in the Universe

https://wisdomexperience.org/product...masters-dance/

Other translations of of the Genjo can be found here for comparison: (LINK)

Dōgen begins by offering a first perspective on the world in which ordinary beings come and go between birth and death. In contrast, Buddhas, which embody idealized perfection, seem to stand above us, different and far distant:

When things are seen as separate in the Buddha’s teachings,
    there is human delusion, there is distant enlightenment,
    and there is Buddhist practice to move us from the
    former to the latter, there is birth and there is death, and
    there are Buddhas and sentient beings that stand apart.

That is the view we hold, especially when first starting on the Buddhist path, when the world seems mostly divided. We desire to climb from our present fallen state to the height of perfection and the freedom of a Buddha, But Master Dōgen then points us to another way of experiencing truth:

When the myriad things are realized as each without an
    individual self, there is no delusion and no enlightenment,
    no Buddhas and no sentient beings, no birth and no death.

This is the truth of “emptiness,” in which categories and names for separate things are swept into wholeness. We can encounter the world this other way too, without making judgments of near or far, flawed or flawless, perfect or imperfect, high or low, and without applying mental categories and thoughts of separation. Then the division of ordinary beings and Buddhas evaporates, and the strife of this world vanishes too. Buddhas and sentient beings are then experienced as not apart, not separate. Enlightenment is never hidden—even in the world of confusion—once we learn to see. We can drop away our ideas of coming and going, birth and death, and instead experience an ongoing continuity and wholeness beyond time, beyond birth and death.

Yet we must not stop there, for we must keep living in this world that is also separate things, coming and going:

In the Buddha Way, we must leap clear of and right through
    both the view of fullness and the view of lack; thus there
    are again birth and death, delusion and enlightenment,
    sentient beings and Buddhas.

We can experience this life and world in both of the foregoing ways at once. The result is a bit tricky to get one’s head around, but it is based on wisdom. We learn to see through all the divisions and seeming imperfections of the world, even as they appear to continue to exist. For example, we see many flaws in life and society, yet we also learn to drop all judgments about what is flawed or flawless. Instead, all things become just what they are without our criticism, each a shining jewel in its own way, even those things that we usually resist or find abhorrent. However, that does not mean that we simply tolerate those flaws either: the uglier and more abhorrent something is, the more deeply buried and hard to see is that shining light. Thus, although this world and all things may shine from within (and so, from that perspective, they do so without need of polishing to remove the grime which obscures), we still have to keep polishing in our practice to bring out that shine. Although Buddhas and ordinary sentient beings are not apart, if ordinary beings continue to think and act ignorantly, they will not realize this truth. We have to think (and nonthink, putting aside divisive and judgmental thoughts) and act more like Buddhas would act, freeing ourselves from excess desires, anger, and divided thinking in order to make the presence of Buddha appear before our eyes and in our hearts. This is Dōgen’s path of “practice-enlightenment,” in which we practice acting as a Buddha now in order to realize that Buddha has been here all along. Even when we don’t think and act like it, the fact is that we are still Buddha nonetheless, although our ignorance and poor behavior will keep that truth hidden from us and cause suffering.

Yet, even with all our insight and wisdom, even when realizing this hard world as shining Buddha, this world remains hard nonetheless. So, Dōgen writes:

Yet even so, the beloved flowers still fall to our regret and sorrow,
    the weeds still grow though we wish it were not so.

Delusion and enlightenment, ordinary sentient beings and Buddhas, are apart yet not apart from one another; the same, yet not at all as they were before realization. But even with such wisdom and insight, even while seeing something beyond the flaws of this sometimes very hard world, we remain human, fragile, sometimes heartbroken. This world may have aspects of a dream, but it can often be a very hard dream. For example, I may tell someone who has experienced the loss of a loved one that death is not all that meets the eye when we realize a timeless reality which flows on and on. Still, that does not keep their heart from aching. I cannot tell soldiers and hungry children that violence and injustice are caused by the delusions of anger and desire, and that they should simply see through it all to a vision in which there is nothing to fight for and nothing lacking. Although there is such an insight to experience, doing so does not end the very real bloodshed and hunger. We still have to work to end the war and feed the children. This world will still break our hearts sometimes, even if we see through the curtain of delusion. Dōgen taught us to see through loss and separation into a realm in which nothing can ever be lost or apart. Nonetheless, as he notes, the flowers we love will sometimes still fall, the weeds we resist will still grow. ...

... We might say that our task as human beings is to live in this sometimes hard and painful world, yet to also see through it—to not become prisoners of our pain, fears, and sense of lack. At the same time, we must constantly work to make this world better where we can, even if many flaws and evils remain. And so, Dōgen next addresses these questions: How are we to be free of our suffering and the ignorance that is our usual way of viewing this world, even as we still live in this sometimes sorrowful and disappointing world? How can we attain true insight to see beyond surface appearances? What is the cause of our ignorance? He writes:

It is delusion to impose yourself and your desires upon life,
    demanding that the myriad things of the world be as you wish.

According to Dōgen and countless other Buddhist teachers, we mistakenly try to bend the world to our desires so it will live up to our demands, dreams, and wishes. Isn’t this what we try to do, sometimes successfully but often not— to get life to bend to and fit our demands? Is that the only way to live? Goals and dreams help us achieve great and small things and they are necessary to living, but is there also a way to know life without demands and expectations? Zazen shows us that we can encounter this life and world as they are, on their own terms, without imposing our self and its selfish demands upon them.

To let the myriad things be as they are, illuminating yourself, is enlightenment.

... to be continued ...
    [emoji1374] Sat Today lah
    Last edited by Bion; 07-10-2023, 10:39 AM.
    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi
  • Onkai
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo and Bion

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Kaitan
      • Mar 2023

Thank you

ST

Bernal
      Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
      Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Risho
        • May 2010

Thank you

Gassho

Risho
        -stlah
        Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Alina
          • Jul 2023

Every morning before breakfast, and at night before going to bed, I recite the 5 remembrances:

"I am of the nature of growing old, there is no escaping growing old.
          I am of the nature of having ill health, there is no escaping ill health.
          I am of the nature of dying, there is no escaping death.
          Everything I hold dear and everyone I love are of the nature to change, there is no escaping being separated from them.
          My actions are my only true belongings, there is no escaping the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."

I feel they help me to stay focused on the practice, to avoid clinging to my delusions, but they sort of focus on "I, I, I..."

"Yet even so, the beloved flowers still fall to our regret and sorrow,
          the weeds still grow though we wish it were not so.
          It is delusion to impose yourself and your desires upon life,
          demanding that the myriad things of the world be as you wish.

To let the myriad things be as they are, illuminating yourself, is enlightenment."

As I was reading this text, it reminded me of the 5 remembrances, but in a more positive light, it's just the way things are, not something "I have to do".

Thank you Jundo and Bion

ST

Comment

• Shinshi
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Jul 2010

Total Awesomeness! Thank you for doing this.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
            空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
            There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
            -Dogen
            E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Bion
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Aug 2020

NEW TREELEAF PODCAST EPISODE AVAILABLE - GENJO KOAN SERIES (II)

Hello, sangha
              Given it is the beginning of the month, and we've had our monthly Zazenkai, we have a new episode of our Treeleaf Podcast available. We're in the middle of a series about master Dogen's Genjo Koan. This is the second episode in the series, and you can listen to it HERE or you can find it on your favorite podcast platform, like Apple, Spotify etc

The text for our talk today, the second in a monthly series, is based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE

~ ~ ~

Buddhas are those with great understanding of the nature
              of delusion. Alas, confused beings are those who are greatly
              deluded about the nature of enlightenment. Moreover,
              because life is not stagnant, so a Buddha must continue to
              realize realization upon realization, while ordinary folks
              just fall into delusion after delusion.

Practitioners sometimes think that enlightenment is the endpoint of practice rather than an ongoing series of daily actions that are each an opportunity to manifest either ignorant or enlightened behavior. They think that they must get to a perpetually blissful place called “enlightenment,” removed from the pain and complexity of this world, and all their problems will disappear but their wishes and desires will be fully satisfied. Actually, that has never been the way Zen masters considered enlightenment, or, at least, a complete vision of it. While there is a state beyond self and problems—a place where all desires are satisfied in unbroken wholeness—human beings cannot live there. They cannot pay the bills and fall in love there. So, we should realize that instead we can experience a flawed world that is also flawless. We can have goals and expectations and demands, yet also accept life as it is, on its own terms. In other words, we can know a realm of endless peace, beyond all lack and ugliness, as one with this world of frequent disturbance, lack, and ugliness.

Buddha doesn’t need to note she is Buddha. Nevertheless,
              Buddhas are just living Buddhas who keep on living Buddha
              by bringing Buddha to life.

When you manifest Buddha, you do so in each wise and compassionate thought, word, and deed, great or small, of your daily life. Buddha’s action is not a fancy gesture you need to stick a flag on, make a big show about, or hire a marching band to proclaim. Buddha is wondrous, yet quite ordinary. I personally see Buddha manifesting all around me, not with a golden body and a shining halo floating high in the sky, but in the simple acts of generosity, peace, love, kindness, and harmony carried out by ordinary people in this world each day. Whenever a human being acts with generosity and altruism rather than selfishness, when she offers peace where there was strife or sees though division to the unity of all things, then she is bringing Buddha to life in this world and time. The person so acting need not even note to herself that she is doing so.

When one sees the forms or hears the sounds of the world
              fully and wholly with body and mind [free of judgment,
              free of mental categories, transcending “me, my, mine”],
              one intimately understands without separation. Then, it is
              not like some object and its reflection in a mirror, and it is
              unlike the moon and its reflection in distant water, whereby
              one side is illuminated and the other side is left in the dark.

Most of us feel cut off from life much of the time, as if our self and the rest of the world were separate. Frictions and disappointments come out of this sense of separation. But there is a way to experience life so unified, so intimate, that such frictions and disappointments drop away. It takes a sense of separation to have tumult and trouble. So, let’s just stop feeling that separation! Give up sticking so stubbornly to this sense of our separate selves via our Buddhist practice. Then, one sees both sides at once, wholeness and separation, completion and lack, as two sides of a single no-sided coin, and all is illuminated.

For to master the Buddha Way is to learn the self. To learn
              the self is to drop the separate self from mind. To drop the
              separate self from mind is to be actualized by the myriad
              things of the world. When actualized by the myriad things,
              one’s body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of
              others all drop away. In such intimacy, no trace even of
              “enlightenment” remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.

The self is filled with all manner of drives and desires, as well as feelings of isolation from everything and everyone that is not itself. You are frustrated when the world fails to meet your terms and conditions. Please study that, then stop that! Then all the world comes to embrace you without terms and conditions, unifying all life. This “life-self-world” becomes so fluid, whole, and natural that there is no need to label it even with a term like “enlightenment.”

🙏🏼 Sat Today
              "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Onkai
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Aug 2015

Thank you, Bion, Jundo, and everyone.

Gassho, Onkai
                Sat lah
                美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• L_Moore
                  • Mar 2023

Your phrasing is the exact wording I picked up somewhere. So, I love the 5 remembrances just as you state them. I suppose one grows fond of just the cadence of a set of verses once they become part of us.

BUT from your comment it occurs me that... perhaps one could occasionally experiment with replacing the word I with WE are of the nature ... everything WE hold dear etc. That phrasing would give a slightly less 'me' tone to it that connects our seemingly personal practice with all the other folks also struggling to remember these 5 weediness/flowers-fading aspects of 'the way things are'.

Or maybe not ... because the concluding line to me means that WE-ness or not, "each tub also has to sit on its own bottom" when it comes to taking responsibility for thoughts and actions no matter what others are doing.

L_Jane SAT

Comment

• Jundo
                    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by L_Moore
                    Your phrasing is the exact wording I picked up somewhere. So, I love the 5 remembrances just as you state them. I suppose one grows fond of just the cadence of a set of verses once they become part of us.

BUT from your comment it occurs me that... perhaps one could occasionally experiment with replacing the word I with WE are of the nature ... everything WE hold dear etc. That phrasing would give a slightly less 'me' tone to it that connects our seemingly personal practice with all the other folks also struggling to remember these 5 weediness/flowers-fading aspects of 'the way things are'.

Or maybe not ... because the concluding line to me means that WE-ness or not, "each tub also has to sit on its own bottom" when it comes to taking responsibility for thoughts and actions no matter what others are doing.

L_Jane SAT
                    I was not sure, but you seem to be referring to Alina's post, above ...

Hello, Sangha Our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast begins a new series of talks, this time on master Dogen´s Genjo Koan, based on the modernized translation of the fascicle by our very own Jundo, found in his book ¨The Zen Master's Dance (https://wisdomexperience.org/product/the-zen-masters-dance/)¨ The first episode in the series,

Gassho, J

stlah
                    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Dall
                      • Oct 2022

Beautifully taught. Thank you.

Gassho,
                      Dall
                      st

Comment

• Bion
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Aug 2020

NEW TREELEAF PODCAST EPISODE AVAILABLE - GENJO KOAN SERIES PART 3

HELLO, EVERYONE

A new episode of our Treeleaf Podcast is now available to listen to on your podcasting platform of choice. We continue our series of studies of the Genjo Koan, with the third instalment, where we look at how master Dogen's words are relevant for our Ango and Jukai period. You can listen to this episode
                        HERE

The text for our talk today, the third in a monthly series, is based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE

This time, we will be looking at these passages in light of our Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) and Ango (Peaceful Abiding) Season ...

~ ~ ~

When you first seek the Buddha’s truth, you imagine you
                        are far away from its locale. However, Buddha’s truth is
                        already correctly transmitted right here; realizing so, you
                        are immediately your original self.

When you sail in a boat and look out at the shore, you
                        might feel that the shore is moving. But when you turn
                        your eyes toward the boat, you may then feel that the boat
                        is moving. In the same way, if you observe the myriad
                        things of the world with confused ideas of body and mind
                        you might assume that your mind and nature are enduring
                        and stand separate from things. But when you intimately
                        practice and turn within, it will become clear that nothing
                        at all has a fixed, individual self.

In another part of Shobogenzo, Zenki (the "Whole Works"), Dogen writes this ...

Life can be compared to a time when a person is sailing a
                        boat. On this boat, you are working the sail, you manage
                        the rudder, you are handling the pole. At the same time,
                        the boat is carrying you, and there is no “you” to sail without
                        the boat. By your sailing of the boat, this boat is made
                        to be a boat. Please study and understand profoundly just
                        this instant of the present. Understand this fully. At this
                        very instant, everything is nothing other than the world of
                        the boat. The sky, the water, and the shore have all become
                        this time of the boat, which is very different from what
                        this time would be if there were no boat. Thus, life is what
                        you make of it, and you are what life is making of you.
                        While you are sailing in the boat, your body and mind,
                        self and environment, are all essential pivot points of the
                        boat; and the entire earth and all of space are all essential
                        pivot points of the boat. That is to say,
                        life is the self, and the self is life.

Until this moment, maybe you thought that you were a single, independent, sometimes lonely, isolated, frustrated being living apart from the rest of life. Maybe you felt like a lone sailor struggling on a boat, fighting the wind and ocean currents, with the shore moving swiftly by. But in zazen, that separation melts in such a way that sailor and sea and shore and sail and wind, and the other sailors and vessels and lands to the horizon and beyond, prove to be a single whole, and all flow as the true nature of the sea that was our nature all along.

Firewood turns to ash and it does not turn to firewood again.
                        But do not think that the ash is the future and the firewood
                        is past. Rather, ash is wholly ash with nothing remaining,
                        and the firewood is just firewood with nothing more. You
                        should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal
                        expression and wholeness of firewood, which fully includes
                        its own past and future yet is independent of all past and
                        future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression and wholeness
                        of ash, which fully includes its own past and future too.

We come to experience each moment of life as wholly what it is—a fully contained and actualized instant without comparison to any other moments of life. Of course, we live in a world of time, of before and after, past, present, and future. But we can come to see each instant as just that instant, its own fully contained moment of time that stands as its own shining jewel.

Just as firewood does not turn to firewood again after it is
                        ash, do not think of returning to birth after death.

What is true about fire is true about aging and death. Let us leave aside the mystery of what may or may not follow after death. Rather, let us just come to experience life wholly as the time of life, and when death comes, we experience it simply as the moment of death. Likewise, aging is just the time of aging, health the time of health, sickness the time of sickness.

We will continue about birth and death next time ...

🙏🏼 Sat lah

Comment

• Bion
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Aug 2020

NEW PODCAST EPISODE AVAILABLE - GENJO KOAN SERIES PART 4

HELLO, EVERYONE

A new episode of our podcast is now available, this being the fourth instalment in our series of talks on Master Dogen's Genjo Koan. You can stream this episode on your podcasting platform of choice or
                          RIGHT HERE

This is the fourth in a monthly series based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE

Other translations of the Genjo can be found here for comparison: (LINK)

You should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal
                          expression and wholeness of firewood, which fully includes
                          its own past and future yet is independent of all past and
                          future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression and wholeness
                          of ash, which fully includes its own past and future too.
                          Just as firewood does not turn to firewood again after it is
                          ash, do not think of returning to birth after death.

Thus, it is an established rule in Buddhist teachings to deny
                          that birth turns into death. Therefore, birth is understood
                          as no-birth, for in the time of birth there is no other
                          moment with which to compare it. It is an unshakable
                          teaching in Buddha’s preaching that death does not turn
                          into birth. Therefore, death is understood as no-death
                          when there is no other moment with which to compare it.

When there is birth, there is only birth, and death is just the time of death. Life and death are each their own time and moment. When it is time for life, live gracefully, for your life depends on it. When it is time for death, please die thoroughly, right to the death! Both life and death are just this life. I believe that Dōgen is telling us to live fully this moment, to take this moment on its own terms and to live it well, making it the best moment that we can. What is more, when we drop from our mind any ideas of opposites, such as start and finish, birth and death, might we know something that transcends and embraces them?

Birth is a situation complete in this moment. Death is a situation
                          complete in this moment. They are the same as winter
                          and spring. We do not say that winter becomes spring,
                          nor do we say that spring becomes summer.

All the seasons of life—birth, youth, aging, and dying—are just like this. Each is its own season, each is just the shining moon. So, winter is just winter, summer wholly summer, fall but fall, and spring is totally spring. In winter, live well and fully in winter, likewise in the other times. In each season, there is nothing else but this. So how is time even passing? Everything happens in its own season. So it is for life and death.

Our enlightenment is like the moon reflected in the water.
                          The moon does not get wet, the water is not broken.
                          Although the light shines wide and vast, the moon is
                          reflected in a puddle a foot or an inch wide. The entire
                          moon and the whole sky are reflected in countless dewdrops
                          upon the grass, and even in a single drop of water.

This understanding comes when we learn to see and experience this world in all its variety and complexity, its division and separation, as variations and expressions of something wonderfully all-embracing, something beyond broken pieces and friction. Imagine that moon again, its light shining on and within all things. This moon represents the light of Buddha, what we call enlightenment. This moonlight shines from within you too, as you. And you don’t even need to do anything to make it so.

Enlightenment does not divide a person, just as the moon
                          does not shatter the water. We cannot obstruct enlightenment,
                          just as a drop of water does not obstruct the moon in
                          the sky. The depth of each drop is the measure of the height
                          of the moon. No matter how long or short the duration of
                          each reflection, it expresses the largeness or smallness of the
                          dewdrop, yet completely holds the boundlessness of the
                          moonlight in the heavens.

Not only you, but all people, things, and events are the moonlight shining: long things shining as long, short things shining as short; happy events are the moon shining happily, sad times are but the moon illuminated in sadness. All are the one moon. Nonetheless, although this light is always shining, our practice is to uncover that light within.

~ ~ ~
                          gashho (sat and lah some today)

Comment

• Bion
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Aug 2020

NEW PODCAST EPISODE AVAILABLE - GENJO KOAN SERIES PART 5

Hello, all

A new episode of our podcast is now available and we continue with our study of master Dogen's Genjo Koan. The fifth episode in this series is available

or you can stream the podcast on any of platform of your choice, like Spotify, Apple Music etc

This is the fifth in a monthly series based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE

Today, we find enlightenment in EVERY aspect of this world, even the hard parts we do not welcome ...

And we find enlightenment in how we live in this world, finding our own role ...

So, when the Buddhist truth does not truly fill your whole
                            body and mind, you think the situation is already enough
                            and that you can stop. But when the Buddhist truth fills
                            your body and mind, you understand that there is always
                            something more, so you keep moving onward.

Don’t be one of those people who tastes a little peace and timelessness on the meditation cushion or elsewhere in life then gets puffed up with such achievement, or disappointed when it does not last forever. Better is the person of true freedom who can know a deep, abiding peace, sometimes felt and sometimes hidden like the moon, right in this world of peace and conflict, light and darkness, rain or shine. Better to be the person aware of timelessness even as the clock keeps ticking, as years pass, as youth fades, and as we grow older. Enlightenment is not a frozen event in time, but a living truth that we keep practicing in order to manifest its light. Enlightenment is like a sailing trip that continues through all weather and features, not something halted in a
                            shapeless sea:

For example, if someone sails in a boat out to the middle of
                            the ocean where no land is in sight and looks all around,
                            the ocean looks circular and empty, and does not look to
                            have other form. But the ocean is truly not round or square,
                            and its features are varied beyond count. It is like a palace of
                            endless rooms. It is like a jewel of countless facets. It only
                            looks circular and empty as far as seen by the eye at that
                            time. All things of the world are like this.

The graceful dance goes on, and it is not a matter of stopping suddenly, finished or frozen on a barren stage. Calling some round, lifeless realm as “nirvana,” as if some featureless and final ending, would be like a sailor in the open sea, surrounded by nothing but water, the bare horizon a circle in all directions, thinking that such was the whole world, and that he could stop right there forever. It is a kind of stagnation or anchoring that halts the voyage, missing true arrival at the shores of wisdom found all around. Be wise and welcome all the complexity, diversity, and impurities of this world as that same purity in a different guise. ...

Though the earthly world and the world-beyond-conditions
                            have so many features, we can perceive and understand
                            only as far as our eye can reach through practice. In order
                            to grasp the real nature of countless things, you must know
                            that the oceans and land have infinite varied features
                            besides their appearance as round or square. Whole worlds
                            are found all around. It is so, not only looking out to the
                            periphery, but also directly under your feet and in every drop of water.

Welcome all the diversity of this ailing and healthy, up and down world. This is where Buddhas come alive, where enlightenment is put into action, where the moon shines to let all scenes glow. Don’t try to understand it all, don’t try to master or control it. Rather, begin with your own practice, right where you sit and stand and walk and breathe. All the complex shapes of life are simplicity in another form. All the rough and sharp edges are roundness in another expression. One who understands this is truly a master.

A fish swims in its ocean, and no matter how far it swims,
                            the waters are without end. A bird flies through its sky, and
                            no matter how far it flies, the sky is without end. At the
                            same time, the fish and the bird have never left their water or
                            their sky. When their need is large their use will be large.
                            When the need is small their use is thus small. Thereby, each
                            of them totally uses its full range in each moment, and each
                            of them wholly brings its realm to vibrant activity. Yet, if the
                            bird were to leave the air, it would die at once. If the fish
                            were to depart from the water, it would die at once. Thus we
                            can conclude that water is life and air is life. Bird is life and
                            fish is life. Also, life is the bird and life is the fish. In this
                            same way, practice-enlightenment is the expression of
                            bounded and boundless life right here and now.

If a bird or a fish attempts to fully explore the reaches of its
                            field without swimming or flying in it, this bird or this fish
                            will never find its way or place. But when we find our place
                            where we are here and now, practice occurs that actualizes
                            the universe. When we find our way in this moment, practice
                            occurs that actualizes the universe.

... We are the life of this earth, and like the fish in the water and birds in the sky who bring water and sky to life, all this world is our extension, not merely our location. This is your place, your life right here, and you cannot be anywhere other than where you find yourself so long as you are alive. So please live this life well and experience this place wisely. The possibilities, if not quite endless, are greatly up to you. We human beings cannot change all the circumstances in which we find ourselves, but within our realms we have more power than we know to range freely. Please swim or fly your course with grace and skill. ... How you live, how you practice right now within this limited yet unlimited world, is where it all comes to life. ... You cannot go ahead but from right here, you cannot do but do right here, you cannot stay up or fall but from right here, you cannot fly gracefully or fly gracelessly in any sky but right here, you cannot act in peace or in anger except right here. ... Life is made real by how you live it, here and now. This is practice-enlightenment.

~ ~ ~
                            gassho
                            sat and lah

Comment

• Bion
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Aug 2020

NEW PODCAST EPISODE AVAILABLE - GENJO KOAN SERIES PART 6

Hello, everyone

Our latest Treeleaf Podcast episode, closing our Genjokoan-themed series of talks is now available to stream on all podcasting platforms, or directly
                              HERE

This is the sixth (and last) in a monthly series based on my modernized translation of the Genjo Koan, from my book ...

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE

Today a message very appropriate for a good life in this New Year and every day ...

... when we find our place where we are here and now, practice
                              occurs that actualizes the universe. When we find our way in
                              this moment, practice occurs that actualizes the universe.

In truth, the place and the way are neither large nor small,
                              are not just the self nor others. The place and the way are
                              neither things that have come from the past,
                              nor are they only arising now.

Right here is the pivot point of our life and practice. The happy places and sad places, the birth places and death places, the high places and low places are each and all right here. Further, your place and actions may seem small and finite, but they are also the whole universe and all the other things in it acting boundlessly in each small step and gesture. It is big things and small things and things beyond measure. It is you and others and neither you nor others. It comes from the past and heads into the future, yet each instant is timeless and it’s only right now.

I like to remind people that, when they smile or cry, it is the whole universe smiling and crying. So take care of what is before you. This is where practice begins and where enlightenment is made real and brought to life. Each small act that you do, if appreciated as sacred and complete, is thoroughly undertaken as the whole universe. Equally, in the practice-enlightenment of the Buddha Way, truly meeting one thing is realizing one thing thoroughly; doing one practice is practicing one thing completely. Right here is the place, right here the way is realized. The place and way of realization are not distinct and apart, for their realization manifests as one with the thorough mastery of the Buddhist teachings right here, right now. ...

... Whether you act with greed, anger, and division right here, or generosity, peace, and wholeness right here, is just up to what you choose to do in this moment.

Do not assume that what you realize becomes something
                              you know or is perceived consciously as some state of
                              “enlightenment.” Although brought to realization immediately
                              here and now, the mysterious state may not be
                              apparent to the mind. Its realization may be beyond ordinary
                              discriminating knowledge.

It is up to you to breathe life into wisdom, to make the unified whole show its face in this world of separation, to bring a touch of beauty to a planet of frequent ugliness, to manifest peace for a human race that swings between peace and war. We can always do something, big or small, to make things better. Wholeness, beauty, and peace are always present, like the moon hidden beyond the horizon. But it is up to you, me, and each of us to uncover them and manifest them in this life.

Here is a story that Dōgen tells:

Zen Master Baoche of Mt. Mayu was fanning himself. A
                              young monk came before him and asked, “Master, the
                              nature of air is always present and there is no place where it
                              does not reach. Why then do you fan yourself?”

“Although you may know that the nature of the air is
                              always present,” Master Baoche replied, “you have not understood
                              the meaning of its reaching everywhere.”

The monk asked further, “Then what is the meaning of
                              its reaching everywhere, Master?”

The master just carried on fanning himself.

The monk bowed deeply.

... Dōgen closes his letter with these words:

The verification of the Buddhist teachings, the vivid
                              means of their correct transmission, is just like this. We
                              need to work to make it appear in life. If you believe that
                              you can do without fanning because the air is always
                              present, you will understand neither “always present”
                              nor the nature of air. The nature of air is present always,
                              thus the wind of the Buddha’s house is a treasure like
                              gold from the earth, turning its long rivers into sweet cream.

Enlightenment, like gold in the earth, is always present but in need of your digging hands to be revealed. It is like cream that is ever plentiful but needs our churning and skimming effort to let it rise and make it sweet. Then, the treasure is ours and we are nourished. Only then might we realize the truth right here.

Dōgen then dates his letter:

Written in mid-autumn, the first year of Tempuku (1233),
                              and given to my lay student Koshu Yō of Kyushu Island.
                              Revised in the fourth year of Kenchō (1252).

~ ~ ~
                              GASSHO
                              SAT AND LAH

Comment

Working...