ARTS: Shakuhachi

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rousei
    • Oct 2020

My old Japanese culture teacher from a Japanese University I was at during a year exchange recently contacted me to talk about his new flute (His wife and he often butt heads because of how many he buys), as he knows I myself enjoy playing Bansuri (North Indian bamboo flute). He asked if I was interested offering some links of where to buy one from as well as advice on how to start. This was before I saw this post, the universe making its intent heard perhaps?

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

Comment

• Ryumon
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by WanderingIntrospection
      My old Japanese culture teacher from a Japanese University I was at during a year exchange recently contacted me to talk about his new flute (His wife and he often butt heads because of how many he buys), as he knows I myself enjoy playing Bansuri (North Indian bamboo flute). He asked if I was interested offering some links of where to buy one from as well as advice on how to start. This was before I saw this post, the universe making its intent heard perhaps?
      Given that you are in Japan, you have no shortage of opportunities to buy a shakuhachi. In other countries, it is very different.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
      I know nothing.

Comment

• Ryumon
        • Apr 2007

Interesting discussion in the tea house this morning about the shakuhachi. If anyone has questions, or is interested in learning more about the instrument, feel free to ask here. Kotei and I will be happy to tell you more about this wonderful instrument.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
        I know nothing.

Comment

• Tomás ESP
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Ryumon
          And here is a video of Kodama playing a long shakuhachi, under the performing name of Chiku Za.

Gassho,

Ryumon

Sat
          What a meditative sound, lovely playing. I tried to also focus on the movement of the lips and realized that just from the looks of it, it seems to have incredibly nuanced lip variations, as you mentioned in our chat. Are the two Facebook groups that you shared in the TeaHouse (Shakuhachi BBQ and the European Shakuhachi Society) good places to learn more about the instrument and music? Or are there other websites for that? Or even books that are interesting about it?

Thank you Kotei and Ryumon, even though there are many things that I didn't understand while you were sharing, I still found it to be fascinating!

Gassho, Tomás
          Sat

Comment

• Anchi
            • Sep 2015

Hi there,

Yes, there was a lovely discussion in the tea house this morning.

Thank you Ryumon and everybody.

Gasshô
            Life itself is the only teacher.
            一 Joko Beck

STLah
            安知 Anchi

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Chiku za ... oh my
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Ryumon
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tomás Sard
                What a meditative sound, lovely playing. I tried to also focus on the movement of the lips and realized that just from the looks of it, it seems to have incredibly nuanced lip variations, as you mentioned in our chat. Are the two Facebook groups that you shared in the TeaHouse (Shakuhachi BBQ and the European Shakuhachi Society) good places to learn more about the instrument and music? Or are there other websites for that? Or even books that are interesting about it?
                Well, they are Facebook groups, so it's hard to actually "learn" things, but you'll see discussions, videos, etc.

As for books, Blowing Zen is a first-person story about someone who went to Japan and learned the instrument. It is an inspiring story:

The same author has another book, Blowing Zen: One Breath, One Mind, which is about playing the shakuhachi. It would introduce you to some basic ideas, but you really can't learn without a teacher. Plus, his scores are, to me, not helpful, because he plays in a school that notates very carefully.

You might also want to check out this website, which I set up to record some thoughts about learning the instrument, and haven't updated in a while.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
                I know nothing.

Comment

• Tomás ESP
                  • Aug 2020

Very nice, thank you for all of this information

By the way, just for future reference, is this the "cheap" Shakuhachi you and Kotei were talking about at the Tea House?

Sign up to newsletter and hear about the future of Bell Shakuhachi. See the discontinued Bell Shakuhachi that gained worldwide popularity.

I saw that the current waiting list is at 4 months, which isn't that bad, all things considered!

Gassho, Tomás
                  Sat&LaH

Comment

• Ryumon
                    • Apr 2007

Yes, that’s it. Though bear in mind after you’ve paid shipping and import duties, you’re only a few hundred euros shy of a real bamboo flute. When that flute was first released, at $150, it was a really good bargain, but now, if you’re outside of the US, it becomes a lot more expensive.

Ryumon
                    Last edited by Ryumon; 10-24-2021, 08:49 PM.
                    I know nothing.

Comment

• Tomás ESP
                      • Aug 2020

Yeah, that makes sense. When the time comes, I think I will try and contact José Vargas as you suggested, thanks!

Gassho, Tomás
                      Sat

Comment

• Getchi
                        • May 2015

As a guitarist drummer and bassist, can I learn this fairly easily?
                        Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• Ryumon
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Getchi
                          As a guitarist drummer and bassist, can I learn this fairly easily?
                          Maybe yes, maybe no. I’ve heard it said that it’s the most difficult musical instrument to learn. I think it all depends on your expectations; it’s taken me a long time to get where I am, which isn’t very far in the grander scheme of things. But for me it’s all about the journey.

Gassho,
                          Ryūmon
                          Sat
                          I know nothing.

Comment

Working...