• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

[HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out, chapter twelve, part one

Dear all

This week’s reading is pages 227 - 234 (from the beginning of the chapter to PERSONAL KOANS).

Apologies not to post until Wednesday of this week. We are beginning the final chapter of the book and should be completed before the start of Ango.

Darlene begins the chapter by talking about a woman with severe arthritis who ignores her own body wisdom in order to comply with the demands of her physical therapist who had a tendency to push too hard. In this case the client was working against the resistance of her own muscles and this inevitably caused tissue damage.

She points out that we are all in some way like this therapist in having our own faults, and these faults can be great teachers that show us the places in life where we are stuck or need work. She also notes that faults can also often be turned into positives – a driven nature can be softened into reliability, passivity may become patience, anger could be used to defend against injustice. Look at where you find resistance.

Darlene does, however, note that resistance can sometimes be justified and gives an account of a time where this was the case.

In the next section Darlene looks at how we think about ourselves and others and the fact that many of us tend to be more critical and have higher standards for ourselves than others. She also notes that there is a tension between how much we care for ourselves and others – too selfish and we become insular, but too giving and we can feel empty and taken advantage of. I imagine that each of us has our own sweet spot regarding this but also that can change depending on our circumstances and dharma practice.

She observes that taking care of ourselves and others is not a zero sum game and actually when we feel taken care of we are more likely to feel abundance and surplus and wish to share that with others. We cannot feed anyone from an empty jar.

It is for each of us to see how we feel in different circumstances in which we are giving too much or too little and how that can change. This applies equally to emotional and physical acts of giving as much as financial and material generosity, and those may be even more important to pay attention to in the case of chronic illness.

Darlene notes that we can have many facets within us and these may be at odds such as the desire to be generous but also the wish to preserve our energy, emotional wellbeing and finances. We can observe the interplay between these and know it is okay to feel more than one thing at once. I have heard some people say that pure generosity comes with no pleasurable feeling of having done something good but I have rarely felt that and don’t have a problem with that. If I give to a charity and feel good for that, I see it as a natural human reaction and as long as I don’t get some big ego about it, think that is fine.

Near the end of this section Darlene wonders if instead of being critical of ourselves we can be a little more nourishing and instead be tolerant in our observation of our many facets and contradictions. For me, Zen practice is not about getting rid of all of our fault and imperfections but rather learning to understand how life is and to work with it on its own terms, including our thoughts and emotions.

She goes on to talk about the power of fully participating in life and appreciating how we are and how our ability to give and nurture others may come and go, just as our need for support and self-nurturing does.

Question prompts

1. Where do you feel the kind of tension that Darlene speaks of in your life between a quality you wish to have (or already have) and some other part of you?

2. How easy do you find it to accept and even appreciate the parts of you that you might prefer to be different?

Wishing you all a healthful week.

Gassho
    Kokuu
  • Tairin
    • Feb 2016

Thank you Kokuu

For me, Zen practice is not about getting rid of all of our fault and imperfections but rather learning to understand how life is and to work with it on its own terms, including our thoughts and emotions.
    I very much agree with your statement. It took a while to get there though. Like most people I came to Zen looking to make changes to my life. To shed some part of me. I’ve learned through this practice to accept my faults and imperfections while also aiming to do better.

1. Where do you feel the kind of tension that Darlene speaks of in your life between a quality you wish to have (or already have) and some other part of you?

Generally happy with my life but I could do with a little more patience with other people. I tend to get frustrated with people, usually for things they don’t have great control over. I am a work in progress

2. How easy do you find it to accept and even appreciate the parts of you that you might prefer to be different?​

It comes and goes. When life seems to be going well then acceptance is easier. When life hits its inevitable bumps then acceptance becomes harder.

I often wonder how well my practice would go if I was always faced with obstacles.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Alina
      • Jul 2023

"Allowing your life to unfold"
      The title is itself a lesson for me, many times I end up stuck resisting what I am afraid of, and I end up ignoring myself very much like the physical therapist who would push too hard.

In my chest and abdomen, sometimes I find myself holding my breath.

2. How easy do you find it to accept and even appreciate the parts of you that you might prefer to be different?
      Not easy, this book is helping me to work on it.

This section resonated with me a lot, I've been drained and resentful for it a lot in the past. Learning to listen to myself and take care of myself, to stop and rest... feels impossible sometimes, but slowly I am trying to add it to my days. I'm thinking this will be part of my commitment for Ango.

Gassho
      Alina
      stlah

Comment

• Kaitan
        • Mar 2023

I don't get this question very much, perhaps you mean the tension between selfishness and being generous. I do identify the shortcomings from falling in both extremes: energy levels go down and hurting other people. As she said, I tend to imagine as more generous than I am, but also become very critical the moment I nourish myself. So it's quite tricky still to find that sweet spot you talked about.

Difficult, specially when it comes to compare myself to other people, even if it's not a big deal. However, I started to vow to past 'failures' that couldn't have happened if not for those aspects that I usually do not accept and appreciate.

Lots of great insights in this chapter, I enjoyed the part of embracing the contradiction and paradoxes, I assume that would follow the next of personal koans.

stlah, Kaitan
        Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
        Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

Working...