• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

[HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out, chapter eleven, part two

Dear all

This week’s reading is pages 207-218 (from MINDFULNESS THE EVERYDAY-LIFE MEDITATION to OBSTACLES TO EVERYDAY AWARENESS).

In this section Darlene points out that most people do not come to meditation in order to achieve enlightenment (or, as she puts it, ‘become yogic adepts’) but instead to deal with their struggles in life more effectively. I imagine most of us here with chronic illness can identify with that. Although I began meditating in my teens, I really got serious about practice when illness struck in my mid-20s. Although Soto Zen talks about goalless practice, when most people begin meditating, there is usually a goal in mind, and something they would like to improve in their life.

She talks about how our on the cushion practice seeps into daily life, allowing us to have more presence by developing the ‘muscle’ or awareness to stay present rather than be swept away by a river of thoughts and sensations. Returning to the physical body (such as the breath or the feeling of our feet on the ground) provides us with a visceral anchor to the present moment. Doing everyday tasks from the perspective of bodily sensations can give us a break from the endless flow of thoughts.

Darlene talks about teaching people with chronic pain to focus on each of their senses in turn. Each of them can act as an anchor for us and allow us to perceive sensory information that we might usually be shutting off (especially if we are focussed on the pain itself. As I write this, the muscles in my arms are burning but I can also hear the whirr of the laptop fan and feel on my fingers over the keyboard).

In this section Darlene offers a number of exercises for us to do, from p210 to 213. These include eating mindfully, paying attention to sensations when you are bathing and taking three deliberate breaths when you first wake up.

Attention is given to a question that is asked about how to stay present when a situation is difficult, especially when it comes to a job working long hours or ongoing pain. Darlene suggests that actually being present and letting yourself feel what is happening and then letting it go is the best way to deal with these situations (although remember earlier that she does also extol the virtues of distraction at times, so it is not a question of pushing yourself to your limits, this is a practice to be developed). She says that when faced wholeheartedly, suffering burns up the moment it is felt and we need to give it space and have open, spacious awareness to let suffering arise and pass through us.

Darlene talks about her husband who is a street therapist working with homeless people, and all of the difficult emotions he experiences when doing that. She says that he is able to experience all of the emotions that arise for him without judgement and that is how he is able to do his job and make it through each day.

She concludes this section by reminding us that mindfulness is not about self-improvement, rather it is the paying attention to our everyday life and all that is in it.

Question prompts

1. Pick one or more of the practices (up to three) and try them out. How do you find it?

2. What do you think about Darlene’s perspective about suffering burning out the moment we are completely with it? Do you feel this is the case? Does it still work if there is ongoing suffering?

Wishing you all a healthful week.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
  • Matt Johnson
    • Jun 2024

"In this section Darlene points out that most people do not come to meditation in order to achieve enlightenment (or, as she puts it, ‘become yogic adepts’) but instead to deal with their struggles in life more effectively. I imagine most of us here with chronic illness can identify with that. Although I began meditating in my teens, I really got serious about practice when illness struck in my mid-20s."

That's a long time to be practicing.

While one may not start this practice to become a yogic adept, it is possible that such a thing might happen by accident. The question is whether or not we get to choose how our enlightened nature manifests and whether or not this leads us through a standardized tradition with one teacher, culminating in a capacity to teach within that tradition in order to propagate it. There are obviously many thoroughly realized people who have never heard of Zen or Buddha.

Most people come to meditation because of suffering. So the goal as far as I can tell is almost universally to escape from some type of suffering (and there are so many forms of this). However, if you do not readily identify yourself as someone who is suffering, then you probably won't bother about such a thing. Moreover, many of us don't even know the real reason we are suffering. We may come to zen to “fix” one thing and find out a whole other thing about ourselves.

We may come to Zen for pain relief and find out that our pain is really OUR pain. While that doesn't stop it, it sure changes the perception and meaning. But changing your perception to better come to terms with the difficulties of life is delusion… And delusion is enlightenment.

Edited post (because Alina reminded me there were exercises)

I choose mindful pizza cooking:

I could probably write a lot about mindfulness and occupational therapy... having a really messed up back made me deeply question whether it was a good idea for me to work service jobs which turns out to have been 70% of my job experience.

In most of the jobs I worked where I was working for somebody or some other company I felt very constrained as to what I could do for my back pain while on the job. But over time I learnt ninja ways of doing yoga. I became intimately acquainted with bathroom floors where I would do yoga, or do this thing that I learnt how to do in order to crack my back which release a lot of tension.

Sometimes I would just very openly do some stretches while on a smoke break. But other times when it was really bad there was really nothing else I could do but lay on the floor until my back popped. Learning how to use my non-dominant arm helped a lot as well. But it slows you down so you have to be very mindful and concentrated to keep up with your regular pace.

​​​​​

_/\_

sat/ah

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Johnson; 08-15-2024, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Alina
      • Jul 2023

1. Pick one or more of the practices (up to three) and try them out. How do you find it?
      Mindful eating. Turns out I'm too impatient for it, I want a distraction, I swallow the food without even tasting it sometimes. This should probably be a focus for me, for Ango.
      Mindful walking. I go out for a short walk in the park in the morning, paying attention to the soles of my feet, my breath, the breeze, the trees... it's almost magical when I manage to stay focused on it instead of letting my mind drift back to work related stuff.
      Posture check several times a day, when a "mindfulness bell" timer rings. It helps me to come back to being instead of getting lost in activity. The more I practice this one the more I like it.

2. What do you think about Darlene’s perspective about suffering burning out the moment we are completely with it? Do you feel this is the case? Does it still work if there is ongoing suffering?
      If I am walking barefoot and I kick the leg of a chair by accident (or any other silly domestic accident), I stop and feel the pain fully, and it is like surfing an intense wave of pain, it does "burn out"/go away by being completely with it. When pain is more chronic, like lower back pain sometimes is for me, it takes more than being fully with it to "burn it out", resting, yoga, painkillers, massage...

I do not think I'd be able to do a job like her husband's, I can handle sudden physical pain pretty well, but that kind of emotional pain Monday to Friday would be too much for me, I think the ongoing nature of that would crush me. And for my own "ongoing emotional pain", well, my mind sort of forgets about it, the intensity of it comes and goes, and zazen helps a lot too.

Gassho
      Alina
      stlah

Comment

• Matt Johnson
        • Jun 2024

So I have noticed that though Jundo seems to comment everywhere else, he does not seem to comment here. Is that by design? Just wondering...

_/\_
        sit/ater
        ​matt

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Johnson
          So I have noticed that though Jundo seems to comment everywhere else, he does not seem to comment here. Is that by design? Just wondering...

_/\_
          sit/ater
          matt
          I don't have particular health issues right now, although I had cancer about 6 years ago. And this place is in Kokuu's excellent hands, assisted by Onki, Seiko and several of our other more experienced with health issues folks ... so I leave it in good hands.

When age and health catch up to me, as they do to all of us, I may stop by.

Gassho, Jundo
          stlah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

Thank you Kokuu

I can see that working with minor pains or accidents (Alina’s example of stubbing a toe is apropos as I recently broke a toe by colliding with a bed leg ). In those cases yes just sort of being with the pain did/does help burn it out.

But in terms of chronic pain like many of you here suffer, that feels like it would just be exhausting. I can’t imagine what it is like to feel pain day after day after day. I suppose though that is the medicine she is trying to preach here. Rather than run away from it, try the gentle approach of accepting with the idea that the resistance is actually amplifying the pain. I don’t know but I will say Metta for each of you.

Tairin
            Sat today and lah
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Kaitan
              • Mar 2023

I chose the mindful eating this morning, but it was challenging to stay there without getting distracted, specially if there's people around talking. I often find, not surprised, that food is much richer and enjoyable if not distracted.

Yes, I can relate, but it's easier said that done because I still believe in the permanece and solidity of these sensations. And again, it's difficult to remember this while getting caught up in the moment.

Recently I've noticed what she calls the fluctuations of states and personalities we have during the day, but as she wisely said that these experiences help to cultivate patience and kindness towards ourselves and admiration for out efforts

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan

Last edited by Kaitan; 09-01-2024, 06:24 PM.
              Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
              Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

Working...