X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

[HealthDharma] Turning Suffering Inside Out, chapter eight, part two

This week's reading is pages 127-140 (from ‘Learning to Take the Body’s Point of View’ to ‘Using Everyday Movements to Feel Your Body’ )

This part of the book looks at ways of connecting to the body and Darlene points out that many of us spend a lot of time in our head and it can actually feel strange to tune into our body so much.

She suggests using breath awareness to do this as well as bringing awareness to the body when doing a set sequence of movements. These movements include:
    1. Arm twist
    2. Big toe turn
    3. Shoulder blade sway in a chair
    4. Elbow stretch
    5. Breastbone flex
    6. Knees together and apart
    7. Raise and lower bent legs
    8. Pelvic rock in a chair
    9. Leg rotation in different directions
    10. Massaging the chest
    11. Knees from side-to-side
    12. Passive knee, active knee
    13. Head/shoulder dance

Question Prompts

1. Can you try some of these exercises and feedback on how they feel?

2. Can you imagine using these kinds of exercise regularly and might they be helpful?

Wishing you all a healthful week.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
  • Kaitan
    • Mar 2023

I tried a couple of these and was weeping most of the time. I really needed this.

2. Can you imagine using these kinds of exercise regularly and might they be helpful?

Yes and yes

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Kokuu
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Nov 2012

I tried a couple of these and was weeping most of the time. I really needed this.
      Was that from getting in touch with your body?

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Kaitan
        • Mar 2023

Originally posted by Kokuu

Was that from getting in touch with your body?

Gassho
        Kokuu
        -sattoday/lah-
        Yes, it just happens. I had very difficult weeks lately

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
        Last edited by Kaitan; 06-17-2024, 01:55 PM.
        Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
        Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Tairin
          • Feb 2016

I am able bodied but I tried a few of these movements. I can certainly see how they might help one feel more in touch with there bodies particularly as they move through different planes of direction.

Originally posted by Kaitan
          Metta for you Kaitan.

Tairin
          Sat today and lah
          泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Alina
            • Jul 2023

I tried a few and it made me realize just how tense I was, how much tension I've been accumulating and carrying around with me. I made me sad to realize this, but it also brought me some relief.

Yes, I'll try to memorize the instructions of a couple of exercises so I can practice them without the book, I hope I can find the time to do so, letting go of the tension felt good.

Gassho
            Alina
            stlah

Comment

• Kokuu
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Nov 2012

. Can you try some of these exercises and feedback on how they feel?
              I tried a few and it made me realize just how tense I was, how much tension I've been accumulating and carrying around with me. I made me sad to realize this, but it also brought me some relief.

Yes, I'll try to memorize the instructions of a couple of exercises so I can practice them without the book, I hope I can find the time to do so, letting go of the tension felt good.
              It is incredible how much tension we can carry unknowingly. Sometimes I go to sit thinking I am pretty relaxed and then feel just how much tension is in my body. Like you say, Alina, it can feel sad that we are so untuned from our body that we allow it to happen, but a relief that we finally take the time to notice and let it go to some degree.

Gassho
              Kokuu
              -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Matt Johnson
                • Jun 2024

So a few observations before I talk about the exercises.

I mentioned the unfortunate side effect of finding out that one can work with their pain and make it better by using concentration and focus on the breath and movement is that anything that breaks that concentration can become irritating. You will sometimes find yourself getting angry that you don't feel free enough to start doing these exercises while you are working or in the grocery store or heaven forbid in a Zen Monastery or temple.

There's a bit of debate whether bodywork is a preparation for meditation, type of meditation or an adjunct to meditation. Personally, I have used it for all three with varying degrees of success. Sometimes I will replace kinhin with body movements that I find make me feel good and relaxed as opposed to a stiff, slow kinhin (or in the case of Rinzai almost a jog). In terms of using it as a preparation for meditation, I only do this when I feel too agitated or hyperaroused to be still.

I really like how she says these movements need to be done like rocking a baby. This is not exercise or physiotherapy.

So I read about how to execute them, making sure I understood the movement. Then I set a timer for 5 minutes and I did the movement for 5 minutes and then wrote a reflection after each movement. Sorry for the length, I just wanted to be thorough. I don't really expect people to read this.

Right out of the gate, the most difficult part of many of the movements was the exhortation to “sit comfortably.” I have incredible problems with this as I basically can't sit anywhere anymore without experiencing pain. I have two essential modes: standing and lying down. But I gave it a shot anyway. I made a few alterations to my sitting situation. I was sitting on an adjustable workout bench and I had my knees lower than my waist and I incorporated thoracic/lumbar support.

Attached is a link to a detailed account of my experience with each movement.

There are about 5 of these exercises that I am going to incorporate into my body practice. I will also bring them into play when doing longer retreats to shake things up a bit.

The ones that I like the best were:

arm twist
                shoulder blade sway
                massaging the chest
                passive knee active knee
                head/shoulder dance

It is always important to pick up new ways to move from others as it helps get us unstuck and discover more freedom. Quite similarly to talking about and sharing new ideas.

_/\_

sat/lah

Matt
                1. Arm twist While doing this exercise I noticed that as I twisted my hands led by my thumbs, my entire lat/shoulder/ scapular region tensed as I was doing it. These are stabilization muscles which I use frequently at work/life and their job is to stabilize the entire area as I do fine motor wor...

Comment

Working...