[HealthDharma] Suggestion for those with physical issues ..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ankai
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Nov 2007

[HealthDharma] Suggestion for those with physical issues ..

Hi.
    I have Parkinson's disease, as some here are aware, and it presents certain limitations. I also have a fairly serious heart condition, which affects circulation, and that makes sitting in the lotus position all but impossible for me for any length of time.
    I find that I can sit in the saves a position for a while on some days, but not always.
    We have a great many people here who have physical issues that make it difficult or impossible to sit in traditional positions. I would strongly urge anyone who finds themself in that situation to reach out for support and advice.
    A suggestion I would make for those who find sitting in such a way to be physically or medically impossible, I can offer this suggestion.
    I picked up one of those shower stools for people with physical limitations and handicaps. It's small, and round. It accommodates a zafu, or meditation cushion, perfectly. And the legs are completely adjustable. I can put it at the exact height I need it to be, and I can sit comfortably in zazan for as long as I need or want to. It hasn't got a back rest, so, I can sit in such a way as to rock my hips forward and sit with my back correctly straight.
    They're inexpensive, very lightweight, easy to clean, adjustable, and highly portable.
    This is just a suggestion for the folks here who, for reasons of medical or physical limitations simply cannot sit cross-legged on the floor.
    I'm not a teacher and I'm not suggesting that this is the optimum way to sit in Zazen.
    But it is a way that those of us who suffer from this or that can make it work. I hope it's taken in such spirit.
    I would love to hear about some of the other workarounds people have come up with to deal with their medical, physical, or bodily differences.

Sat today!
    -Ankai
    Gassho!
    護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!
  • JasonC
    • Jul 2016

Thank you for that option Ankai!

Gassho,

Jason

Sat Today

Comment

• CP

Thank you for sharing Ankai. Sitting in a regular chair or even laying down are also acceptable ways of “sitting” for those medical issues. I try to sit in the traditional form daily when I can but I often have to resort to no traditional forms. Often at the end of the day I am in so much pain that me last sitting has to be done propped up in bed. Here at Treeleaf we won’t shame you if you have to do Shikantaza in a non traditional form.
      Gassho
      JinKan
      Sat

Comment

Working...