Shakyo Practice Circle #1, May 2021

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heitou
    • Feb 2020

Jundo, I ordered a kit from Amazon and it come to me that way. I didn't know you wanted us to leave it out. That's my bad.

Gassho
    Heitou
    SatToday
    Last edited by Heitou; 05-12-2021, 07:15 AM.
    Heitou
    平桃

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Heitou
      Jundo, I ordered a kit from Amazon and it come to me that way. I didn't know you wanted us to leave it out. That's my bad.

Gassho
      Heitou
      SatToday
      Oh, no, nothing wrong with having that at all . You can write a short dedication or hope in the space below 為 .

Gassho, Jundo
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Heitou
        • Feb 2020

Roger That. Thank You for the explanation.

Gassho
        Heitou
        SatToday
        Heitou
        平桃

Comment

• Stewart
          • May 2017

I'm so glad to found this in good time as I've been trying this at home.

I bought a copy sheet of the Heart Sutra from Amazon Japan (though they are everywhere here in Japan - all stationary stores seem to have them) - so no need for tracing paper plus a cross between a fountain pen and calligraphy brush - so no dipping in ink. However, I found controlling the brush for the small scale work quite hard and my first attempt was rather messy. I also tried to do it sitting seiza on a low table and that got me tense towards the end. I will do it a bit at a time in future and try doing it on a normal table. I've done it in seiza and at normal height tables in Japan, there seems to be no rule about that.

I also found a book for tracing Buddhist images in a similar and tried doing an Amida Buddha image yesterday - the pen seems to be better suited for this, at least in my hands. buddhist picture copying book.jpgamida copy 1.jpg

I did enjoy doing this very much though.

Stewartheart sutra copy 1.jpgheart sutra copy sheets.jpg
          Satcalligraphy brush pen.jpg

Comment

• Stewart
            • May 2017

My sheets have the same lines on them.

Stewart
            Sat

Comment

• Bokucho
              • Dec 2018

It all looks so good! For mine I used a fine point Sharpie, but I also have a small calligraphy type brush that I'll try next. About halfway through I started to wonder if I was even right side up, but since I can't read it anyways I figured it didn't much matter! Thank you Geika for the video, and Jundo for the in depth discussion, and all others for the inspiration!

Gassho,

Bokuchō
              SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Geika
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Jan 2010

Lovely work, Stewart and Bokuchō!

Bokuchō, you did well with the thickness on a thin sharpie! I tried it, and it was a bit difficult for me.

Gassho,
                Sat, lah
                求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Huichan
                  • Jan 2022

Didn't realise we had this practice group until I just looked around the forum after doing some myself. I bought a pack from Taobao a few days ago, as I'm trying the learn the Heart Sutra in Chinese and thought it would be a good way to help with that. Also, my Chinese writing is generally terrible, so want to improve it as well. I just wrote the sutra out whilst having a recording of the Heart Sutra playing in the background. Not a great first attempt, but enjoyed the process

WeChat Image_20220416150836.jpg
                  WeChat Image_20220416150854.jpg
                  WeChat Image_20220416151025.jpg

Gassho
                  Ross
                  stlah
                  慧禅 | Huìchán | Ross

Comment

• Geika
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Jan 2010

That is lovely, Ross. Welcome to the group!

Gassho
                    Sat, lah
                    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

Working...