This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sreed
    • Dec 2018

This thread is very powerful for me at this moment. I will be bookmarking so that I can practice and come back to it often.
    -Sara
    ST/LAH

Comment

• Tai Shi
      • Oct 2014

Seishin, Hi, I am Tai Shi, and I will consider a move from the Unitarian Universalist church to Episcopalian, and remain with Treeleaf Sangha. My wife and I are apart, and much of the time I do not communicate with her. We have shared a game Pokémon go. Sometimes I try to touch her, and she moves away, and she does not understand my preoccupation with religion. She is agnostic or atheist, and she does support my membership in Treeleaf Sangha and she knows enough about Soto Zen Buddhism to know that it is atheist in some ways, and actually when I admit this to myself, this is where I stand too, and I too am atheist or agnostic, and I've been hurt enough by religion to want a big change in my life, and I maybe can truly breath better when I admit this to myself. Zen Buddhism is so very important as I have read Uchiyama's book and I can focus on my own practice. I have read How to Cook Your Life and I see the vast sea of being;"in- the moment," and of the first three chapters of GenjoKoan, I understand and float into the vast ocean of life. I understand that Let there be Songs to fill the air, ripple in still waters. may your cup be filled-- no simple highway, my path for my steps alone So I see and feel it is not me but my attention to concepts as God which may not exist. Now for me the morning feels right. It is 4:38 a.m. and I have spent the night thinking this through, and Maybe it's not me but churches that are wrong. And, it's not a matter of my wife. All I know is a bird sings a while then flies off. I know why a tune is sweet, and why I need not cry anymore. A bird sings then flies off. I know snow and rain, and there is freedom in yes, freedom in morning depth and light. My knees are gone I am old. I don't care. My body is all I have. Sometimes when the moon is high a full moon, my neck bones are old and cannot look up, and from moon beams I know the moon is there. The sun shines, and clouds come. Water flows and fish swim. The song plays, this tune is mine, and I have nothing. I am nothing, am body and form, no matter I am sea foam I am sky and there is no why, there is no if. There is sky, there is earth, there is what Suzuki would say just sit, no more just sit.

Tai Shi
      just sit
      Gassho
      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Tai Shi
        • Oct 2014

And now I am UU and an agnostic because after reasoned and calm discussion with my wife, on good Zen teacher she says that “What are you but an agnostic?” Yes I do not know for sure, and perhaps, I don’t know anything for sure. I know two things that I have undertaken the precepts of my And our Sangha, which follows the ideas of the Buddha, these are reasonable for the second thing I know today, just for today, I am sober.
        Tai Shi
        ssat/ lah
        Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Onka
          • May 2019

Gassho Onka
          sat today
          穏 On (Calm)
          火 Ka (Fires)
          They/She.

Comment

• Gokai
            • Feb 2016

A very beautiful and powerful practice. Often difficult to put into practice, but that is the way.
            Gassho, Gokai
            Sat today
            David Cravidão Lopes Pereira

Comment

• Chikyou
              • May 2022

This is something I would like to put into practice during this Ango season. Does anyone have advice on how to consistently remember/build the habit of practicing it?

Gassho,
              SatLah
              Kelly
              Chikyō 知鏡
              (KellyLM)

Comment

• Onki
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Dec 2020

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful practice.
                I will begin to try it out!

Gassho,

Finn

Sat today
                “Let me respectfully remind you
                Life and death are of supreme importance.
                Time swiftly passes by
                And opportunity ist lost.
                Each of us should strive to awaken.
                Awaken, take heed,
                Do not squander your life.​“ - Life and Death and The Great Matter

Comment

• Geika
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by KellyLM
                  This is something I would like to put into practice during this Ango season. Does anyone have advice on how to consistently remember/build the habit of practicing it?

Gassho,
                  SatLah
                  Kelly
                  Takes practice, for sure. The trick is noticing when an unpleasant emotion is arising and trying to nurture an appropriate response-- not to repress it, but to see how it can be transformed into something more skillful. It takes time. I have a little nurturing seeds card in my wallet that will remind me of them when I see it.

Gassho
                  Sat, lah
                  求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                  I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                    • Oct 2014

When I practiced for Jukai first time, I wass Elgwyn (my middle name). After I received my Dharma Name at Jukai, my first Jukai Ceramony, I became Tai Shi. This means Calm Poetry. I have found this is something to aim for, to include at my innermost being, to calm myself down. My biggest hurdle is Anger, and I will write often in Big Poetry, Little Poetry, any verse, a thread area on our Zendo. This allows me to exxplore feelings of opposites. I can also copyy these opposites onto an index card and carry it with me in pocket or billfold. I will also remember to look at it often so I can memorize these psychologies. I have gone through these Precepts before, and I own a wonderful book, The Mind of Clover, Robert Aitkeen, North Point Press, 1984, and this book takes me through the Precepts, one at a time, with excellent Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics. I will be reading these Essays as we go along from early September to the end of this celebration. I will review an American transslation of the Lotus Sutra. I have found that I have wasted time on "Facebook" so I will be giving up visits to Faccebook. As I always do, I will visit one of the sitting practices on Treeleaf Zendo. This year I will be visiting Friday evening (Saturday morning, Japan) Zazenkai. This is new for me though I have been there in some years past, have visited the recordings of our Zazenkai though not often. It;s brst for me to go to these meetings in person. And of course I will be reading and making a few comments. Now I tell you that I am retired, and I enjoy much free time. I have time for these activities. These are only for me. However, I welcome any one Ango partner who wishes to study and sit with me. I do have time, and I love to read.

Gassho
                    sorry for running long
                    sat/lah
                    Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-20-2024, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...