This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dosho
    • Jun 2008

Interesting fact about the bamboo and the curve which did not occur to me! I must say the curve is a nice feature as it provides a nice spot for the utensils.

If I may ask, how many cloths came with your set Shokai? I think mine only came with two, but as I said on the video I have to admit the possibility that I lost the third one!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Originally posted by Shokai
    as I was about toexplain when my battery charger so rudely interrupted, the suiban both Dosho and I showed yesterday is a piece of bamboo; hence the curve
    gassho, Shokai

Comment

• Shokai
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Mar 2009

Only two as well. Do you think we should paint the sub an black to follow tradition?

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
      合掌,生開
      gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
        Friend of Treeleaf
        • May 2010

Thanks for that Jundo. Brilliant.

Looks like you guys will need that third cloth. Is it the small, drying cloth you're missing?

I'm certainly not pushed on a black waterboard. Although it does appear to be black traditionally.

My mizuita is black and not curved. In that, I was following Jundo's and the official oryoki set as close as possible.

However, my mizuita/ waterboard is too tick: 2cm, rather than closer to the 1cm the official board seems to be.

I'm happy with people just cutting out a piece of cardboard to stand in as a mizuita for the purposes of our oryoki practice, however.

Gassho
        Myozan

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Hi,

The clothes that are required are:

-The "Shijoutai" (匙莇袋, literally, "Spoon and Chopstick Bag") for holding those implements and the "Setsu" (刷) cleaning spatula, seen just above the "Mizuita" water board in the below photo.

-The "napkin" lap cloth that protects the Kesa during eating, called the "hizakake" (膝掛), literally "lap throw", shown on the far right.

-The wiping/drying cloth, a white cloth much like an old fashioned men's breast pocket hanky, called the "Fukin" (布巾) that is not shown in the below picture for some reason

-The large wrap cloth that covers the whole set of bowls, and rests underneath in "star" shape while eating, is the "Fukasa" (袱紗, literally "wrapping silk" or "wrapping cloth")

Those should have been included in all the sets provided by me to our priests. Something missing?

Gassho, J

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Myosha
            • Mar 2013

Thank you.

My Oryoki set includes a fourth (9 cm. X 4 cm) bowl. Used as container or stand or spare?

Yours in ignorance,

Gassho,
            Myosha
            "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Mp

Hello everyone,

I am going to be sewing some new fabric for my set and was wondering if black is the traditional colour? I see in the image Jundo has provided that the colour looks blueish grey ... any thoughts? =)

Gassho
              Shingen

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Hi,

The color tends toward grey shades, not black, in my experience.

Gassho, J

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
                  Hi,

The color tends toward grey shades, not black, in my experience.

Gassho, J
                  Excellent, thank you JUndo. =)

Gassho
                  Shingen

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                    Friend of Treeleaf
                    • May 2010

Hi,
                    Yes. I've always seen greys and blues mostly too. Never black for the cloths. Sometimes I've seen while drying cloths and napkins, with a grey or blueish outer, wrapping cloth.

The bowls and chopsticks, etc, are pretty much always black, however ... as far as I know.

Gassho
                    Myozan

PS: Measurements and instructions to make your own Oryoki cloths can be found here:

Comment

• Dosho
                      • Jun 2008

Only two as well. Do you think we should paint the sub an black to follow tradition?
                      Unless Jundo thinks it necessary to paint it I plan to leave the waterboard as is. I think it appropriate to leave it anyway, but I would be concerned about damaging it as well.

Gassho,
                      Dosho

Comment

• Shokai
                        Treeleaf Priest
                        • Mar 2009

I agree, I enjoy the way the grain shows on it. Makes it very unique. It's just that I read somewhere the traditional color is black.
                        I like my suiban just the way it is.
                        gassho, Shokai

合掌,生開
                        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Comment

• Dosho
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Jundo
                          Hi,

The clothes that are required are:

-The "Shijoutai" (匙莇袋, literally, "Spoon and Chopstick Bag") for holding those implements and the "Setsu" (刷) cleaning spatula, seen just above the "Mizuita" water board in the below photo.

-The "napkin" lap cloth that protects the Kesa during eating, called the "hizakake" (膝掛), literally "lap throw", shown on the far right.

-The wiping/drying cloth, a white cloth much like an old fashioned men's breast pocket hanky, called the "Fukin" (布巾) that is not shown in the below picture for some reason

-The large wrap cloth that covers the whole set of bowls, and rests underneath in "star" shape while eating, is the "Fukasa" (袱紗, literally "wrapping silk" or "wrapping cloth")

Those should have been included in all the sets provided by me to our priests. Something missing?
                          Since Shokai's accounting agrees with mine, I feel fairly certain that we only received the utensil holder and two cloths. The measurements of the cloths I received are 19in x 17in (Wrap?) and 25in x 13in (Napkin?), which would leave the drying cloth missing. Are those the measurements you get Shokai?

Gassho,
                          Dosho

Comment

• Shokai
                            Treeleaf Priest
                            • Mar 2009

Hang on, I'll need to measure

合掌,生開
                            gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

I agree, I enjoy the way the grain shows on it. Makes it very unique. It's just that I read somewhere the traditional color is black.
                              I like my suiban just the way it is.
                              gassho, Shokai

Yes, I put a piece of nice bamboo, slightly convex, in the sets I send you at Ordination. No need to change the color or shape. In the future, I may just get pieces of wood cut to about that size and paint them black. That is not important, but you can find a piece of wood and paint it too. Any piece of wood about that size and shape will do really. You are also free to order the $60 lacquered water board I linked to above!

As to the apparently missing "Fukin", wiping cloth ... it really is just a plain white wiping/drying cloth. I thought I had included a white piece of semi-absorbent cotton in your kits cut to size. If not, well, just find some white cotton and cut a piece. See the picture 3 posts up.

I would not obsess about minor points. In fact, Zen Priests in the West I have seen carry all variety of bowls with small variations. The Middle Way. I mean, here is the set that the late Hozan Alan Senauke was using for himself at Berkeley Zen Center. It looks very complete, but notice that the chopsticks and "Setsu" are brown instead of "fully Orthodox" black lacquer. No biggie.

Gassho, J
                              Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• Shokai
                                Treeleaf Priest
                                • Mar 2009

You did include and I think mine is stil 'in the box'
                                gassho, Shokai
                                合掌,生開
                                gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Comment

Working...