• Aug 2019

Naiko
    st

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Naiko
      I wish to become comfortable with oryoki but I confess it makes me very anxious. I understand why the meal is eaten so quickly, but I risk severe medical consequences if I don’t very thoroughly chew my food. So I try to find something very easy to digest and eat a very small amount in order to participate. Even so, I feel like my limitations hinder me from benefiting from the practice.
      Gassho,
      Naiko
      st
      Yes, what I would advise is to put a tiny amount of food in the bowl. It is really a practice and ritual, like tea ceremony or Zazenkai, as much as a meal. It is a practice, a dance, to pour oneself into. Wrapping and unwrapping the bowls, chanting, eating a bit, causes us to remember how sacred it is to have a mouth!

So, do the Oryoki with a tiny bit of food, then after the ceremony is done ... afterwards, grab a sandwich!

Gassho, J

STLah
      Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2021, 11:11 PM.
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Naiko
        • Aug 2019

Thank you, Jundo!
        Naiko
        st

Comment

• Shinshi
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Jul 2010

I found this video of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi doing Oryoki at SFZC. It is in black and white and has no sound.

One thing I found surprising was that he does the little extra fold of the drying cloth that they still do at SFZC. I had thought that, because he went to the same school as where the Japanese Oryoki video was filmed, and likely did Oryoki there - I thought he would have done the same drying cloth fold that we see in the Japanese video. My idle speculation was that maybe it had gotten inserted along the way for some reason. But you can see him do it in the video.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
          空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
          I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
          E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshi
            I found this video of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi doing Oryoki at SFZC. It is in black and white and has no sound.

One thing I found surprising was that he does the little extra fold of the drying cloth that they still do at SFZC. I had thought that, because he went to the same school as where the Japanese Oryoki video was filmed, and likely did Oryoki there - I thought he would have done the same drying cloth fold that we see in the Japanese video. My idle speculation was that maybe it had gotten inserted along the way for some reason. But you can see him do it in the video.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
            A Koan: How does on fold AND not fold a drying cloth at the same time??

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Shinshi
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Jul 2010

Hi Folks,

Well, it has been a while since my last post - my apologies. Life has taken some interesting turns this last year which took me away from this project. I have been working on it the last few weeks and am back up to speed.

My goal is to have a final version of our new Treeleaf Oryoki procedure by the end of Dec., but I think it will be sooner. If all goes well, I plan to start up monthly Oryoki in Feb. We will see how it goes from there.

If you are in my Oryoki session on Sat during Rohatsu I will be mostly following what I have developed - so it will be a little different than what is in the Rohatsu documentation.

I reread The Dharma for Taking Food (Fushukuhanpo) chapter in Dogen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community today. It is interesting how much of what is written there is still part of the ceremony today.

Gassho,

Shinshi
              空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
              I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
              E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Hi Folks,

Well, it has been a while since my last post - my apologies. Life has taken some interesting turns this last year which took me away from this project. I have been working on it the last few weeks and am back up to speed.

My goal is to have a final version of our new Treeleaf Oryoki procedure by the end of Dec., but I think it will be sooner. If all goes well, I plan to start up monthly Oryoki in Feb. We will see how it goes from there.

If you are in my Oryoki session on Sat during Rohatsu I will be mostly following what I have developed - so it will be a little different than what is in the Rohatsu documentation.

I reread The Dharma for Taking Food (Fushukuhanpo) chapter in Dogen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community today. It is interesting how much of what is written there is still part of the ceremony today.

Gassho,

Shinshi
                Just FYI,

The January, February, March Body Work will also be Oryoki Lessons for the Priests, based on this old version (which I need to edit and repost). See posts 4 thru 6 here:

Like I said, I will re-edit those before using them this time.

Let us just make sure that your Lessons and the Priest Training version will be coordinated and on the same page.

Thanks for doing this Shin.

Comment

• Shinshi
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jul 2010

Hi folks,

So it has been decided that we will be taking a bit of a different tack for the monthly Oryoki and launch data is now probably pushed back. I am sorry I posted that it would be starting soon and then have to retract. I am sure we will come up with an even better procedure.

Gassho,

Shinshi
                  空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                  E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Hi folks,

So it has been decided that we will be taking a bit of a different tack for the monthly Oryoki and launch data is now probably pushed back. I am sorry I posted that it would be starting soon and then have to retract. I am sure we will come up with an even better procedure.

Gassho,

Shinshi
                    We will work it out. There are small questions to decide, such as whether to include a Hattan placemat for the lay folks or not (made of construction paper, folded into 9 squares, not the traditional lacquered ... and EXPENSIVE! ... version in a traditional kit). Here is one for a mere $150.00 U.S. ...

曹洞宗の寺院で修行僧(雲水)、僧侶が精進料理を頂く際に用いられる、山中漆器 応量器 鉢単 山中漆器 鉢単 山中漆器 鉢単は折りたたんだ状態でお送り致します 山中漆器 鉢単は渋柿の汁か漆を厚紙に塗って作られている応量器を安置するための敷物です 是非、応量器と組み合わせてご使用ください

I was thinking of just kids' construction paper folded like that ... a lot cheaper, and no problem if the soup gets spilled ...

tsuku.jpg

Also, the suiban "water board" could be added, just a small piece of wood would do ...

tsuku.jpg

I was also thinking what could be a good "do it at home" utensil case, as the mailing envelope we use for Rohatsu is not really durable. I would suggest maybe the cover for a folding umbrella, or something like that?

tsuku.jpg
                    Last edited by Jundo; 12-01-2022, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Working...