X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meitou
    • Feb 2017

Make Your Own Oryoki Set

I know I've seen it somewhere, but I just can't find it - ages ago I saw a thread where folk were talking about putting their own sets together - there was also a great Jundo video on the same subject. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've found bowls, but I need some info about the cloths, sizes etc.
    Thank you!

Gassho
    Frankie
    satwithyoualltoday/lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-21-2020, 04:04 PM.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Hi Frankie

Jundo's video is usually to be found at the beginning of the Rohatsu thread.

I don't know if this is universally the case (and probably depends on bowl sizes for the outside cloth) but the cloths I received with my bowls are the following sizes:

Wrapping/table cloth - 45cm x 45cm (18” square)
    Drying cloth - 30cm x 30cm (12” square)
    Lap cloth - 55cm x 27.5cm (22” x 11”)

This booklet contains dimensions and was linked to by Myozan in a previous thread: https://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki-instructions.pdf

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

This is the "things around the house" do-it-your(non)self Oryoki kit ...

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON I -

Below in this thread, we will provide various short lessons and tips to help you participate. Please review them between now and the days of the Retreat.

First, the following video will explain a bit about how to make and dance with a simple, home Oryoki kit. All you need is:

1 - Clean Pillow Case
      2 - Bowls and 1 Tea Cup (that fit into each other)
      1 - Cloth Napkin
      1 - Small Wiping Cloth
      1 - Table Spoon
      1 - Tea Spoon or Chop Sticks
      1 - Small Cut Piece of a New Sponge
      1 - Letter Envelope
      1 - A small dish on the side for the "Hungry Ghosts"

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

This video has come in handy many times!

Gassho, sat today, lah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Meitou
          • Feb 2017

Thanks everyone and thank you Jundo, this is such a great video. I'm gradually putting a set together, although finding a small spatula is proving a challenge. I'm thinking of making the wrapping cloth from material left over from the rakusu, perhaps using the same style of stitching.
          This has turned out to be a great Ango project.
          Gassho
          Frankie
          Satwithyoualltoday /lah
          命 Mei - life
          島 Tou - island

Comment

• Eishuu

Don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but after much hunting online I founded a nice little Etsy shop in Thailand that does oryoki sets. But they also sell the napkins and the utensils separately and for a reasonable price. I eventually found some melamine oryoki bowls on Amazon (unfortunately they're no longer available). But if anyone wants to either buy a cheapish set or get the accessories (Frankie, they have spatulas), I had a good experience with this shop. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/GreatEa...on_id=15653508

Gassho
            Lucy
            ST/LAH

Comment

• Kokuu
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Nov 2012

I saw that seller too, Lucy. Thank you for commenting on your experience with them.

Jundo, is this the full oryoki set as it seems pretty reasonable? https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2196...su-5-bowl-sets

Gassho
              Kokuu
              -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Eishuu

Originally posted by Kokuu
                I saw that seller too, Lucy. Thank you for commenting on your experience with them.

Jundo, is this the full oryoki set as it seems pretty reasonable? https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2196...su-5-bowl-sets

Gassho
                Kokuu
                -sattoday/lah-
                Just to clarify, I can't attest to their bowls as I only ordered the utensils and napkins, but the guy was polite and sent them very quickly. I also thought the postage was very reasonable. I did think that their bowls looked lovely though. If you do get some I'd be interested to know what you think.

Gassho
                Lucy
                ST/LAH

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Gassho
                  Kokuu
                  -sattoday/lah-
                  Hi Koku,

No, I would have to say that they are not an orthodox Soto style set (maybe Rinzai, but I have my doubts even then). The first point is that a "proper" Buddha Bowl (the large bow) should have a fully rounded bottom, meaning that what seems the smallest saucer is actually a stand for it to rest upon ... the bowl itself is also quite rounded.

Here is the appearance of a Soto priest's set.

I would not call the set you point to inexpensive, although it purports to be lacquer. There are less expensive sets, but they are usually some manmade material like bakelite (however, this does help with ease of care).

Many of the western sets, for lay people especially, have flat bottoms on all bowls including the largest. It is not so important that shape or content, and frankly, I think a home built set is perfectly fine if just for personal use.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

PS - Here is a better picture of the rounded bottom of the Buddha Bowl, although the color is wrong (this is by an artist). It should be black.

Comment

• Meitou
                      • Feb 2017

Lucy thanks for that link, I had a look and yes, the accessories are a good price - the bowls, while beautiful, are completely out of my price range. I'm wondering now how much the trainee monks and priests in Japan have to spend on their sets, they look so beautiful ( and expensive!)
                      As wonderful as it must be to have one of these beautiful sets, my belief these days is that intent should triumph over form. I will admit right now that my two bowls cost €1 each and I found them in the pet department of a local supermarket, the third is a small tea bowl from a Vietnamese tea set that I've had for some years - but they all work so well together. If I should win the Lotto however ( or rather if my husband does as I don't play) I'll buy everyone the Oryoki set of their choice
                      Gassho
                      Frankie
                      satwithyoualltoday/lah
                      命 Mei - life
                      島 Tou - island

Comment

• Meitou
                        • Feb 2017

As a footnote, I found this rather lovely shop online today, https://www.boutiquezen.com/ full of delicious things that I mostly can't afford. The Oryoki set is more reasonably priced than some, although I can never get past paying so much for plastic bowls. However it is all sold separately and looks to be very nice quality. Id' like to know a bit more about the Japanese incense they sell and why some of it is so expensive - I wonder if it is artisan made - last night I was watching a clip on a TV show called Japanese Style Generator ( Netflix) about the making of Japanese candles, so beautiful and so labour intensive I can't even imagine what a fair price would be for them. Window shopping costs nothing, thankfully!
                        Gassho
                        Frankie
                        satwithyoualltoday/lah
                        命 Mei - life
                        島 Tou - island

Comment

• Kotei
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Frankie
                          Id' like to know a bit more about the Japanese incense they sell and why some of it is so expensive
                          Hi Frankie,
                          the high priced ones most likely contain Agarwood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood (called Jinko or Kyara in its better qualities).
                          This is a very rare wood, that, together with a fungus produces this wonderful scent. Also the oil, extracted from the wood, called Oud is very famous.
                          Depending on Agarwood quality, there are waaaay more expensive ones avail ;-)
                          Gassho,
                          Kotei sat/lah today.
                          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Really, unless you are heading to Eiheiji in Japan to train, or want to make this a lifetime passion and support a Japanese craftsman (assuming the bowls are not actually made in China) ...

... hunt around, make your own.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Myogan
                              • Aug 2015

This booklet contains dimensions and was linked to by Myozan in a previous thread: https://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki-instructions.pdf

Gassho
                              Kokuu
                              -sattoday/lah-
                              The utensil holder is simple enough to do.

Gassho
                              Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Marc Connery
                              明岩
                              Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

Working...