• Sep 2013

Wonderful, thank you for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful family project

..sat2day•合掌

Comment

• Shugen
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Nov 2007

Hello all,

Thank you again Tyler for this wonderful idea!

Where I live, it is starting to get very hot. Even if we can't provide everything, perhaps some bottles of water? (I am not a fan of bottled water, but can not think of a feasible alternative..... ideas anyone?)

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
      Meido Shugen
      明道 修眼

Comment

• Troy
        • Sep 2013

Homeless Care Packages

We made some care packages a couple weeks ago. Ours had a toothbrush, toothpaste, food, flip flops, socks and a small key chain flashlight. Stay away from chewy or sticky foods because the homeless often don't get the dental care they need and those types of foods can irritate their mouths. We used gallon zip lock bags for packaging.

..sat2day•合掌
        Last edited by Troy; 06-21-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Shugen
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Nov 2007

Homeless Care Packages

Originally posted by Troy
          We made some care packages a couple weeks ago. Ours had a toothbrush, toothpaste, food, flip flops, socks and a small key chain flashlight. Stay away from chewy or sticky foods because the homeless often don't get the dental care they need and those types of foods can irritate their mouths. We used gallon zip lock bags for packaging.

..sat2day•合掌
          Very good suggestion. Thank you.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Meido Shugen
          明道 修眼

Comment

• TyZa
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Troy

..sat2day•合掌
            Great to hear it Troy! And good suggestion about chewy/sticky foods. Flip flops are a great idea!

Regarding the bottled water issue, I usually include a reusable water bottle that was empty (I didn't want the pack to be too heavy). Maybe if you are in a larger city you could include a list of shelters/homeless friendly locations where they could fill up the bottles (possibly churches? I can't imagine many churches would turn away homeless people from using a little of their water to fill their bottles). Worse comes to worse (at least in the city) they could fill the bottles up from water spouts located outside many businesses or faucets in restrooms. I know that may sound gross to some but it's the same water out of the tap.

Other thoughts I've floated were buying a bunch of prepaid cards for places like subway or the like. That way they can get a drink (unlimited refills in the States at least) and a sandwich or two. Or possibly buying a bunch of prepaid bus cards so the homeless can have better access to shelters and food banks.

It was over 110 F heat index (43.3C) a little while ago where I live, so this is definitely an issue. Most of the homeless I see always have a reusable water bottle with them. So they are getting the water from some sources, I just hope it is from safe potable sources. The larger cities seem to have more resources for the homeless than smaller cities or towns, which is where I worry about them not having sufficient water the most.

Gassho,
            Tyler

SatToday

Comment

• Shugen
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Nov 2007

Wonderful ideas!

Thank you,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
              明道 修眼

Comment

• Meishin
                • May 2014

Hi,

Our daughter and her friends had a party (wine tasting, actually), and made up many such packages. Then they passed them out to other friends who carry them in their cars. Homeless folk stand at intersections, and it is simple to hand them a package. It's now become a tradition. Win win win.

Gassho
                Meishin
                sat today

Comment

• Shugen
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Meishin
                  Hi,

Our daughter and her friends had a party (wine tasting, actually), and made up many such packages. Then they passed them out to other friends who carry them in their cars. Homeless folk stand at intersections, and it is simple to hand them a package. It's now become a tradition. Win win win.

Gassho
                  Meishin
                  sat today
                  That makes me smile. [emoji3]

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Meido Shugen
                  明道 修眼

Comment

• Tai Shi
                    • Oct 2014

Hi All,

At one time I was a member of a church, and we made up boxes for children. We have a homeless shelter that includes families,
                    These might include, as well as health and safety items:
                    crayons
                    coloring books
                    non hazardous toys
                    blunt nose scissors
                    Notebooks
                    stick glue
                    pencils
                    pencil sharpeners
                    rulers

So many children cannot afford basic school supplies. And something for fun.

Just a thought.
                    Tai Shi
                    std
                    Gassho
                    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• TyZa
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by Meishin
                      Hi,

That's fantastic Meishin! Glad to seen another Texan by the way

Originally posted by Elgwyn
                      Hi All,

At one time I was a member of a church, and we made up boxes for children. We have a homeless shelter that includes families,
                      These might include, as well as health and safety items:
                      crayons
                      coloring books
                      non hazardous toys
                      blunt nose scissors
                      Notebooks
                      stick glue
                      pencils
                      pencil sharpeners
                      rulers

So many children cannot afford basic school supplies. And something for fun.
                      That's a great idea Tai Shi. Another way to help kids that way if you can't physically do that in person is through Donor's Choose. The website allows you to donate to many classrooms in low-income schools that the school can't fit in its budget. Sometimes it is things as simple as arts and crafts and books for their library.

Comment

Working...