[Ecodharma] The Great Turning podcast, Episode two: The Three Stories of Our Time

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

[Ecodharma] The Great Turning podcast, Episode two: The Three Stories of Our Time

Dear all

The Three Stories of our Time will be familiar to those of you who read Active Hope with us last year.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about this episode: https://resources.soundstrue.com/pod...rning-podcast/

Bonus episode, Envisioning The Great Turning: https://resources.soundstrue.com/pod...great-turning/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

I just want to say how much I appreciate the format of this podcast, with Joanna and Jessica providing an approach to these subjects in which Jessica is taking up the baton of Jaonna's immense wisdom and experience, and carrying it forward for a new generation.

Hearing Joanna speak of work she was doing in the 1970s makes clear how long she has been working with this material and even in the 1970s she was in her 40s so her engagement with environmental issues went back even further than that.

The three stories were familiar to me but it was interesting to hear Joanna's stories of how they were developed and became part of how she teaches Ecodharma and engaged practice.

For me, they provide a really important formulation of how things are right now. We all live in The Great Unravelling and while much of the world's resources seem to be put into keeping the status quo of Business as Usual going, there is a key opportunity to lean into The Great Turning and prepare for what is going to come next, even as we are unsure of what form that will take.

At an Ecosattva meeting yesterday with One Earth Sangha, we talked about living life in relationship and connection a being part of The Great Turning and the antithesis of the Business as Usual approach of seeing the world made up of disconnected parts and economics can be considered away from ecology.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Shigeru
      • Feb 2024

In this episode, I'm really struck by how the three stories (at least in my perspective) parallel the story of the Buddha or the "coming to Buddhism" journey, and how the great unravelling as well as how both hosts talk about the negative emotions they felt when they were first struck by the facts sounds a lot like being struck like the state of samvega. Initially, you live in business as usual, then are struck by the reality of the situation, and then, ideally, choose the great turning Just like how Buddha went from living in the palace, then seeing the four signs, and finally seeking and finding the way. Just my thoughts

Gassho
      SatLah
      Last edited by Shigeru; 05-14-2024, 08:28 AM.
      - Will

Respecting others is my only duty - Ryokan

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

In this episode, I'm really struck by how the three stories (at least in my perspective) parallel the story of the Buddha or the "coming to Buddhism" journey, and how the great unravelling as well as how both hosts talk about the negative emotions they felt when they were first struck by the facts sounds a lot like being struck like the state of samvega. Initially, you live in business as usual, then are struck by the reality of the situation, and then, ideally, choose the great turning Just like how Buddha went from living in the palace, then seeing the four signs, and finally seeking and finding the way. Just my thoughts
        I really like that parallel, Shigeru, and think it holds up nicely. Buddhism shows us the reality of the world and we can either try to ignore it and carry on as usual, chasing pleasure and avoiding pain, or else choose to walk the path of helping all beings. Joanna's stories reflect the same.

Gassho
        Kokuu
        -sattoday/lah-

Comment

Working...