Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tairin
    • Feb 2016

[Ecodharma]. The Green Growth Delusion

We all know that Business as Usual can not continue. This article focuses on “green growth” as simply more BAU.

Advocates of “Green Growth” promise a painless transition to a post-carbon future. But what if the limits of renewable energy require sacrificing consumption as a way of life?

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Thanks, Tairin. That is a good article, and makes an especially important point that it is not just about moving to a low-carbon economy but a low-impact economy all round, in terms of the materials needed to keep economic growth happening. Business as Usual is like the Borg when it comes to assimilation, and will take progressive ideas and make them fit into the established way of thinking.

The need for economic growth has been challenged, and solutions proposed, with one of the ground-breaking thinkers on this being Tim Jackson, the author of Prosperity Without Growth.

Prosperity without Growth was first published as a report to the UK government in 2009. It rapidly became a landmark in the sustainability debate. Tim Jackson’s piercing challenge to conventional e…

All aspects of how we live need to be challenged. Tinkering around the edges is not enough.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Comment

• andysmitharng7
      • Jun 2023

Thank you for that article, it was very eye opening and depressing, thank goodness I am in the middle of reading Active Hope. It's not something I have come across before, at least not to that level. Do anyone have any other articles or books on the subject worth reading?

Gassho,
      Andy
      sat

Comment

• Doshin
        • May 2015

An interesting article. I had only heard of some of the concerns enumerated here. As Andy stated it is also depressing.

Another point eluded to is the environmental impacts of green energy.Ten years ago I opposed a Wind Energy development because it possibly might displace a rare falcon that was being restored in the area. I was not against green energy (my house is powered by my solar panels) but the siting of the project. These turbines have impacts on birds and bats. Solar panels cover habitat and thus displace other species. I wrote OP Eds for two our State’s newspapers pointing out that as we move forward with energy developments we also must consider environmental impacts to wildlife and work to avoid, minimize or mitigate.

Not long ago there was an article about new technologies that may help avoid wind turbine impacts on birds and bats.
        Doshin
        St
        Last edited by Doshin; 09-05-2023, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Kokuu
          Treeleaf Priest
          • Nov 2012

Do anyone have any other articles or books on the subject worth reading?
          What specific areas are you interested in reading about?

Gassho
          Kokuu
          -sattoday-

Comment

• andysmitharng7
            • Jun 2023

Originally posted by Kokuu
            What specific areas are you interested in reading about?

Gassho
            Kokuu
            -sattoday-
            My question was specifically on degrowth, but to be honest anything in the ecodharma/climate change realm would be great. A recommended reading sticky thread for this sub-forum would be sweet.

Comment

• Kokuu
              Treeleaf Priest
              • Nov 2012

Prosperity Without Growth by Tim Jackson is good, and he has written a more recent book, Post Growth.
              Also Less is More by Jason Hickel.
              This is a short piece on zero growth and degrowth: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/...rowth-society/

You might also find reading about Doughnut Economics to be interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model) That talks about zero growth and degrowth for developed countries but also that less developed countries may still need some growth.

A sticky would be a good idea. For now there are not so many books on Ecodharma. These are some:

Ecodharma
              by David Loy
              Green Buddhism by Stephanie Kaza
              Buddhism and Ecology

One Earth Sangha has a whole bunch of articles: https://oneearthsangha.org/articles/

More generally:
              Not Too Late by Rebecca Solnit
              Field Notes from a Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kolbert
              The Climate Book by Greta
              The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

Others can feel free to add their suggestions. There is plenty out there and I will work on setting up a sticky.

Gassho
              Kokuu
              -sattoday-
              Last edited by Kokuu; 09-05-2023, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• andysmitharng7
                • Jun 2023

Originally posted by Kokuu
                Prosperity Without Growth by Tim Jackson is good, and he has written a more recent book, Post Growth.
                Also Less is More by Jason Hickel.
                This is a short piece on zero growth and degrowth: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/...rowth-society/

You might also find reading about Doughnut Economics to be interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model) That talks about zero growth and degrowth for developed countries but also that less developed countries may still need some growth.

A sticky would be a good idea. For now there are not so many books on Ecodharma. These are some:

Ecodharma
                by David Loy
                Green Buddhism by Stephanie Kaza
                Buddhism and Ecology

One Earth Sangha has a whole bunch of articles: https://oneearthsangha.org/articles/

More generally:
                Not Too Late by Rebecca Solnit
                Field Notes from a Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kolbert
                The Climate Book by Greta
                The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

Others can feel free to add their suggestions. There is plenty out there and I will work on setting up a sticky.

Gassho
                Kokuu
                -sattoday-
                This is great, thank you.

Gassho,
                Andy
                sat/lah

Comment

Working...