[Ecodharma] The role of methane super leaks in global warming (article)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

[Ecodharma] The role of methane super leaks in global warming (article)

Dear all

Although I am aware that methane is a more powerful 'greenhouse gas' than CO2 I had not previously heard of the problem of methane leakage which could have a large role, and cutting emissions by 45% by 2030 would prevent 0.3 C of warming by itself.

In 2021, the last year for which full data is available, methane reached 1,908 parts per billion, 2.6 times higher than before human activity started transforming the atmosphere. Its role in global heating is often overlooked, but human-caused methane emissions are responsible for about a third of the rise in global temperatures seen over the last century. Today, the impact remains large, with the methane in the atmosphere responsible for about 25% of the heat trapped by all greenhouse gases.

Fast action would dramatically slow global heating as methane is short-lived in the atmosphere. An emissions cut of 45% by 2030, which the UN says is possible, would prevent 0.3C of temperature rise. Methane emissions therefore present both a grave threat to humanity, but also a golden opportunity to decisively act on the climate crisis.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
  • aprapti
    • Jun 2017

cows and smaller ruminants are a big source of methane. So bringing down the amount of those animals in the world by not eating their meat really helps..

aprapti

sat
    Last edited by aprapti; 03-06-2023, 07:03 PM.

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• Tairin
      • Feb 2016

Thank you for sharing Kokuu.

We recently swapped out our gas stove for a new induction stove at considerable cost to us solely because of the carbon foot print and the impacts of gas stoves on health (https://youtu.be/qzq0RbkHV78). The gas stove was relatively new and had no issues. We ensured that it was taken for scrap and not resold.

Here in Canada there is an abundance of natural gas and we’ve been told for years that it is the best option because of how clean it burns. Consequently my house has a natural gas furnace, hot water heater, and clothes dryer. We can not afford to replace all of these items. We’ll have to run them until they need replacing which could be many years. Most people will be in a similar situation where they simply can not afford individually to replace natural gas.

As for cows…. Almost two years ago we decided to stop eating beef altogether again purely for ecological reasons. We are mostly meatless anyway

Tairin
      Sat today and lah
      Last edited by Tairin; 03-06-2023, 05:30 PM.
      泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

When I first read about methane leakage it scared the crap out of me, so to speak.

Gassho
        Sat, lah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Tokan
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Geika
          When I first read about methane leakage it scared the crap out of me, so to speak.

Gassho
          Sat, lah
          Methane leakage everywhere!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
          平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
          I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Ryumon
            • Apr 2007

The biggest problem here is, what do we eat? If we can’t eat meat, do we eat fish? Then we catch all the fish in the ocean, and there are none left. Massive chicken farming is not very good for the environment either.

We can’t eat rice, because it emits a lot of methane; do we just eat wheat? It’s certainly not the healthiest of grains, especially because it is more often refined. With rice, you have the option to eat whole grains, whereas even whole wheat, bread has been greatly refined to be made into flour.

Is the only solution lab grown meat?

Gassho,
            Ryūmon (Kirk)
            Sat
            I know nothing.

Comment

• aprapti
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ryumon
              The biggest problem here is, what do we eat? If we can’t eat meat, do we eat fish? Then we catch all the fish in the ocean, and there are none left. Massive chicken farming is not very good for the environment either.

We can’t eat rice, because it emits a lot of methane; do we just eat wheat? It’s certainly not the healthiest of grains, especially because it is more often refined. With rice, you have the option to eat whole grains, whereas even whole wheat, bread has been greatly refined to be made into flour.

Is the only solution lab grown meat?

Gassho,
              Ryūmon (Kirk)
              Sat
              i suppose we cannot do without eating For me the foundation of my practice of Buddhism is to try to cause as less suffering as i can. So i know that eating only vegetables is not without problems, but i think i cause less suffering by not eating meat.

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

Working...