[Challenging Times] -(25 - END of BOOK)- Can Kanzeon Laugh - Eido Frances Carney

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[Challenging Times] -(25 - END of BOOK)- Can Kanzeon Laugh - Eido Frances Carney

Dear All,

We come to the end of this wonderful book. Sadly, another essay written in the last decade that still holds true today. Can we reflect, yet laugh through these times? Yes, sometimes it may be a dark and cynical laugh, yet laughter remains the best medicine. The author is "friend-of-Treeleaf" Eido Carney. Her essay starts from page 272. Even if you have not joined in our book readings previously, this one is also highly recommended to all.

Please post your impressions, not only of this fine lesson, but of the book as a whole. I hope that most of you enjoyed our journey through it this past year. Yes, although published 6 years ago, sadly, much of the book applies today as much as, or more than, back then.

For those who do not have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book (second half of the book):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yQV...usp=share_link

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

And ... our next book ... to be guided by Rev. Kokuu ...

Turning Suffering Inside Out
    Dear All, We are nearing the last chapter of the amazing 'Zen Teachings for Challenging Times' (be sure to check out Heiku Jaime McLeod this weekend, coming for a visit: LINK (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?22327-Special-Treeleaf-Event-Guest-Teacher-Rev-Heiku-Jaime-McLeod-Sunday-January-28th) ) ... Our next

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Onkai
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2015

This book was great in bringing Zen teachings into concrete reality. I enjoyed each of the essays I read.

The final essay reminded me of how healing a good, deep belly laugh can be. There is time for seriousness, but there are times when levity and laughter are called for. I think enlightenment includes a good sense of humor, which is what I think this essay conveyed. The political situation is worrisome, but there's little I can do to influence it. Maybe tuning in to Steve Colbert is part of the answer. Also, my practice affects me, but there's no telling how it influences the world around me.

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Alina
      • Jul 2023

"Morning Mind is Kanzeon, Evening Mind is Kanzeon
      This very moment arises from Mind, this very moment is Mind"
      The final essay left me thinking that laughter is simply necessary, to be able to relax, at least a bit, no matter what troubles we may be facing. A good reminder to end a beautiful book that shows us how to continue practicing while facing all kinds of challenges.

After finishing the last chapter I read this quote, same message:
      "Life is hard, you know, and laughter is how we come to terms with all the ironies and cruelties and uncertainties that we face."
      - Desmond Tutu, “The Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu on the Joy of Laughter”

The one thing I appreciate the most from this collection of essays is that it shares so many ways in which Zen practice has helped the authors in so many situations in their lives, how each of them adapted their practice in a personal, intimate way in order to face their problems but at the same time staying true to the practice, to the teaching, adapting without "going astray".

I joined the reading of this book shortly after finding Treeleaf, so for me, it also means finding a Sangha after many years of practicing on my own.

Thank you Jundo for organizing the book club, and thank you everyone for all the comments and wisdom that you shared.

Gassho,

Alina
      stlah

Comment

• Tairin
        • Feb 2016

Another nice essay. Thank you everyone for reading along. I thought this was a wonderful book, full of very well written and diverse topics. It is well worth visiting again in the future

Tairin
        Sat today and lah
        泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Houzan
          • Dec 2022

Yes, another great essay.
          It reminded me of something TNH (while visiting a zen center in US) and Ajahn Brahm said at some point: “you are too serious, you should smile more” and “when visiting a temple, if people smile and laugh it is a good temple”.
          Your teachings on smiling and a playful attitude (hand in hand with a serious attitude) does not go unnoticed, Jundo (for instance our lovely monthly zazenkai dance!), and it is this I believe the essay points to.

Lovely book from cover to cover, and great visiting talks to accompany it.

Gassho, Michael
          Satlah

Comment

Working...