• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[Challenging Times] -(23)- When the World is On Fire - Shodo Spring

Dear All,

We start the new year with a new book chapter, and also welcome the author, Rev. Shodo Spring, NEXT SATURDAY, January 6th, as a Guest Teacher here at Treeleaf! (I will have the links posted soon)

We are going to skip over, for now, the chapter by Rev. Shodo Spring because Rev. Spring will be coming as a Guest Teacher to Treeleaf on January 6th!

This is one of the most beautiful essays in the book, written in 2017 but, alas, still poignant and even more important now in 2024. Shodo, as priest and environmental activist, writes about being at ease with uncertainty even as she works to protect the environment in the places she can, and about conversations with nature and with each other.

Frankly, there is a certain pessimism in Shodo's essay at certain points, about what the future holds. I wrote my book, "Building the Future Buddha" (LINK) to address and solve these same problems, although in ways the same yet sometimes very different from what Shodo suggests here (I am sending her a copy, I wonder what she will think of it?) However, we both are aiming for that same balance and respect for nature, tolerance and generosity and love for our fellow beings that she addresses here. Maybe all our ideas, together, can actually save this world ...

Shodo's essay starts from page 240. Even if you have not joined in our book readings previously, this one is also highly recommended to all.

For those who do not yet have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book (second half of the book):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yQV...usp=share_link

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-01-2024, 01:32 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Onkai
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo. This article gave a whole new perspective of being in conversation with all that is. It is in line with the Dharma, yet quite passionate, a reminder to me that Zen isn't a matter of cutting off feelings, and that at the same time, nature will prevail. The thing I took away from it is being open to conversation with what is, including much that is normally thought of as insentient.

Gassho, Onkai
    Sat lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Tairin
      • Feb 2016

Interesting essay

Our Ecodharma discussions here have been very rewarding and there is some obvious overlap with this essay …. Including both the optimism and pessimism.

Thanks to our Ecodharma group I’ve also been reading books such as “Braiding Sweetgrass”, “Gathering Moss”, and “Finding the Mother Tree”. All of which have an emphasis on Indigenous culture and their relationship with nature which Shodo Spring also touches on.

I am looking forward to her talk. Unfortunately I will not be able to join live as I have prior commitments.

Tairin
      Sat today and lah
      泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

Working...