X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heisoku
    • Jun 2010

Re: 8/26- Zen Seeds: Pgs 26-31

Shokai and Chris.... _()_ .... I think Treeleaf is making an impact here!
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Shujin
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Feb 2010

As far as phrases go, I heard this one recently:

“Nou Met Led Me Nou La!” which translates as “We may be ugly, but we are here.”

It sounds a bit rough, and I suppose one could take it that way. For me, it's an expression of things as they are versus things as I would like them to be. I don't always have my best days. Sometimes I feel like a soup sandwich. The important thing, for me, is to remember to make a sincere effort towards being in those times. Of course I also have great days, times when I feel like things are perfect. I don't need as much help accepting those days, however.

gassho,
      Shujin
      Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Comment

• Ekai
        • Feb 2011

Everyone Is in the Palm of the Buddha's Hand

When I read her words about being in the palm of Buddha's hand and Buddha always looking out for us, I felt it was more about the Buddha that innately exists in each of us. Not something outside of us or a deity. The Buddha within is always there for patiently waiting for us to wake up to it. The Buddha mind is perfect by nature and can't be destroyed or distorted. Clinging to our ego filled with delusion and aversion blinds us from seeing our true Buddha nature. Letting go of our ego allows us to see who we truly are and lets it shine through our entire being.

Catch phrase: My mother-in-law handles stressful moments very well by simply saying "So What". So simple and easy. I've tried and it works.

Thanks,
        Jodi

Comment

• Graceleejenkins
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dosho
          I think the basic idea here is that we are in the buddha's palm because it is our palm. Where else would we be?
          Ah, so, Dosho. (As I said in the Tea Party!) Gassho, Grace.
          Sat today and 10 more in honor of Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary!

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
            Friend of Treeleaf
            • May 2010

Thanks Fugen. Very much.

I don't have a manta. As for being in the Buddha's palm: I know how little control we have in life. However, I also know how much control we have. That's where the good deed comes in.

As usual, zen reflections breed contradictions and blow open binaries.

Gassho

Comment

• Graceleejenkins
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by chugai
              "doesn't mean shit to a tree ... I didn't originate any of these ...
              This one wasn't an original? Love it anyway! Gassho, Grace.
              Sat today and 10 more in honor of Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary!

Comment

• BrianW
                • Oct 2008

Hello all,

1. Good deed

A few days ago I got some people together who had been at odds. As they were both working on a "problem" and the one party had information to share, which may have got lost if nothing was done. It felt good, but I felt more like a catalyst than the one solving the problem....I liked that as it didn't draw so much attention to "me" but the problem at hand and the relationship between the parties.

2. What's in a phrase?

Many...many years ago I read Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hahn and in the book there is a gatha:

Flower - Fresh
                Mountain - Solid
                Water - Reflecting
                Space - Free

I have pretty much recited it to myself every morning since I read the book.

Chugai and Grace, First time I heard the "tree" quote was in a Jefferson Airplane song "Eskimo Blue Day" ...not sure if it is original to them either, but always loved the song. Points to how small our "me" is in comparison to the natural world.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Gassho,
                Jisen/BrianW

Comment

• Kaishin
                  • Dec 2010

My most favorite mantra is "who knows what is good or bad?" from the old Taoist tale of the farmer. It makes me stop and think about these "bad" or "good" things that happen. It's all in the reception. Also in tough times, "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming"--what else can you do?
                  Thanks,
                  Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                  Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Adrian
                    • Apr 2011

Thanks, everyone, for all your comments on the phrase about being in the Buddha's palm, Buddha watching over us, etc.

When I read these statements in "Zen Seeds" I was a little disturbed. I wondered where Shundo Aoyama was coming from and whether she and I were traversing the same landscape. Your comments have helped me to see things more clearly.

Indeed, I might be better not to try and put my head on Aoyama's shoulders, but just to let her head stay there and for me to refrain on judging her expression. What harm is there, after all, in saying that we are in the palm of the Buddha's hand and that he is watching over us? She's not instructing us to adopt a fixed and prescribed perspective on these metaphors.

I find Zen perspectives helpful, but every so often I realize that I'm not "there" - not where it's at Zenwise. I'm pretty much into analysis and judgment. I feel the sangha here is on a different wave-length from me - a good one, but just not one I'm tuned in to yet, so each of your individual perspectives are helpful to me, even if I haven't integrated them. One day it'll all come together, I'm sure. I can feel it.

Gassho

Adrian

Comment

• Shokai
                      Treeleaf Priest
                      • Mar 2009

The Funeral Director i did my apprenticeship with had a very simple but effective mantra, "Well !"
                      合掌,生開
                      gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...