Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkton
    • Feb 2009

Re: 6/25 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Mahakashyapa

How is the undertaking of austeries viewed by Keizan? In "Shakyamuni" we read that, "Reeds grew up between his [Shakyamuni's] legs as he sat tranquilly and erect without movement for six years"; and in Mahakashyapa we read: "He practiced the twelve austerities and never vainly wasted his time during the night or day. Seeing his emaciated body and uncouth clothing, the whole commnity of monks was struck with wonder. As a result, when the Buddha preached the Dharma, he shared his seat at each assembly with Kashyapa". Keizan seems to approve of this, but I thought that the Buddha abandoned these sort of austerities saying that they are not the path to enlightenment because they can strenghten the ego ("Look how tough I am!").

I was struck by the vigorous sets of contrasts in this passage between austerity and gentleness; mystical lights/eternal sleeps and the reality of toes in sandals; very specific moments in time and no time at all.

gassho
    Monkton

Comment

• Dosho
      • Jun 2008

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a couple weeks, but wanted to say that I am reading along with everyone. I have no great insights or thoughts on what we've read...and yet I am ok with not having a clue. So, I'll just ride along for awhile and see what comes up, ok?

Many bows (as I stitch the frame of my kesa at 2am while the house is quiet).

Gassho,
      Dosho

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by monkton
        How is the undertaking of austeries viewed by Keizan? In "Shakyamuni" we read that, "Reeds grew up between his [Shakyamuni's] legs as he sat tranquilly and erect without movement for six years"; and in Mahakashyapa we read: "He practiced the twelve austerities and never vainly wasted his time during the night or day. Seeing his emaciated body and uncouth clothing, the whole commnity of monks was struck with wonder. As a result, when the Buddha preached the Dharma, he shared his seat at each assembly with Kashyapa". Keizan seems to approve of this, but I thought that the Buddha abandoned these sort of austerities saying that they are not the path to enlightenment because they can strenghten the ego ("Look how tough I am!").

I was struck by the vigorous sets of contrasts in this passage between austerity and gentleness; mystical lights/eternal sleeps and the reality of toes in sandals; very specific moments in time and no time at all.

gassho
        Monkton
        I think that Zen monasteries, historically, were not unlike the corner gym or health club.

You have your "no pain no gain" weight training types, and your "slow, steady, "it's not a race" cardio vascular "running to no where" treadmill types".

The key to both, however, is the "no gain" and "no where to go" aspect.

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• monkton
          • Feb 2009

Hi Jundo,
          thanks for putting that in perspective,
          Monkton
          (one of the treadmill types)

Comment

• Shugen
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Nov 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed Hixon's closing poem - other than that, I'm not fond of his writing style.

In Cook's translation "Daily the old fellow Shakyamuni and you walk about, stand in place, sit, and lie down together and you have words together without even a moment of separation." stood out.

Ron
            Meido Shugen
            明道 修眼

Comment

• CoreyW
              • Jan 2009

Hey everyone. Sorry I am getting into this so late. I have had some stuff to deal with around here and it has all been sort of hectic. Anyways I have caught up on the reading and don't have much to say. I get a bit lost in the reading sometimes but I am trying to get a grasp on it all; and with all of your great comments it has made understanding it easier.

Comment

• Fuken
                • Sep 2006

Some more on austerities practiced by Mahakasyapa:

Mahakasyapa was scolded by Vimalak?rti because when he went on alms rounds he would only visit the houses of the poor (and therefor only get poor food) and Vimalak?rti told Mahakasyapa that his practices of such austerities were intrinsically worthless and only useful if combine with true equanimity reached through the wisdom that realizes emptiness. I sure am glad Mahakasyapa finally got it.

Yours in practice,
                Jordan
                Yours in practice,
                Jordan ("Fu Ken" translates to "Wind Sword", Dharma name givin to me by Jundo, I am so glad he did not name me Wind bag.)

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Fuken
                  Some more on austerities practiced by Mahakasyapa:

Mahakasyapa was scolded by Vimalak?rti because when he went on alms rounds he would only visit the houses of the poor (and therefor only get poor food) and Vimalak?rti told Mahakasyapa that his practices of such austerities were intrinsically worthless and only useful if combine with true equanimity reached through the wisdom that realizes emptiness. I sure am glad Mahakasyapa finally got it.

Yours in practice,
                  Jordan
                  Perhaps he should have gone to the houses of the rich and given to the poor. Bodhisattva Robin Hood.

I am reading now a book that is largely a critique of Dana practices in the modern Theravada countries like Thailand, Burma and Sri Lanka ... although the criticism can apply to most Mahayana countries too. Makes much of the priesthood look like a bunch of parasites and abusers of the system of Dana (Generosity and Giving), whose teachings primarily focus on collecting donations ... Here is a blog by the author ...

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2008/07/p ... hamma.html

Gassho, J
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tb
                    • Jan 2008

Hi.

Here's an pdf of the broken buddha (probably the book jundo reffered to)
                    http://www.buddhistische-gesellschaft-b ... dhanew.pdf

I recommend it.
                    And do not miss his blog, it's also recommendable..
                    Both very thoughtful.

Mtfbwy
                    Fugen
                    Life is our temple and its all good practice
                    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Shogen
                      • Dec 2008

Shakyamuni saw Mahakashyapa tapping his toe to the beat and welcomed him to the dance. Dance/This! Gassho Shogen

Comment

• Daibh
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Jundo

I think that Zen monasteries, historically, were not unlike the corner gym or health club.

You have your "no pain no gain" weight training types, and your "slow, steady, "it's not a race" cardio vascular "running to no where" treadmill types".

The key to both, however, is the "no gain" and "no where to go" aspect.

The most profound passage I have read all day.

Cheers.
                        [b:z5iv0uxu]Documenting the Ango - A Hat Full of Rain [/b:z5iv0uxu]
                        http://ahatfullofrain.wordpress.com/
                        [b:z5iv0uxu]My poetry blog - Subtle Drops[/b:z5iv0uxu]
                        http://subtledropspoetry.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...