X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dosho
    • Jun 2008

Re: 3/5 - SHOBOGENZO-ZUIMONKI - 3-7 to 3-9

Hi all,

3-7 -- For householders in modern times, I think of not "coveting" property as meaning not living in such a manner that is above the basic needs of you and your family. I don't mean that you can't buy a dishwasher, but always be asking yourself if you truly need something. And if the answer is yes, be sure that it is not a need out of clinging rather than a tool that will be used for good purposes. It is also about thinking of the future. The Iroquois (an indigenous group in my part of North America) only used the land after considering whether any negative impact would be felt for more than seven generations. As such, don't use your house in a way that only you will benefit...think of those who may own it long after you are dead and buried.

3-8 -- See the good in people before the "bad" and see the bad only in the light of what it can become. Never think of a person as stagnant or incapable of change. If given the chance, people may surprise you.

3-9 -- There are many people who donate money to colleges and universities for new building projects and in most cases the building bears their name. However, I always think very highly of anonymous donors who attach no conditions to their donations or insist that their good deed appear on a plaque. For myself, I have found great satisfaction in anonymous donations because I can have greater assurance that the donation was not for the growth of my ego but truly for the betterment of others. If it is not enough to follow the path and be content with what you have without seeking recognition, you will never feel fulfilled...even if you did own all the tea in China. The dharma is everywhere and in all things.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Comment

• scott
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dosho
      For householders in modern times, I think of not "coveting" property as meaning not living in such a manner that is above the basic needs of you and your family.
      One of the great dilemmas in "sink or swim" societies is: what is "basic"? The short term is easy, but what about saving for the future? I'm not going to tell stories here, but in the USA, if you have kids I don't know that you can ever have too much money saved up for their future, because the way things are going they are going to need all they can get to be sure to weather the ups and downs of life. What do you do? We try to evaluate risks and give away what we don't need, but there is a definite conflict between a duty to our kids and wanting to help the rest of the world. And oh, we don't have a dishwasher.

Scott

Comment

• Dosho
        • Jun 2008

Scott,

I actually think you can have too much money saved up for their future because eventually they are going to have to fend for themselves and you won't be able to help them once you are gone. It's the lessons you leave them with that will sustain them for a lifetime and generosity is among the most important. True, you can't eat generosity if you are starving, but hoarding money just to prepare for an uncertain future doesn't make it any less uncertain. And if people are focused most on saving "as much as they can" I think it will only cause them and their children suffering. I'm a stay at home dad and I lose a lot of potential income from not working, but I wouldn't trade that "potential" for the time I have with them before they start school...not for all the tea in China.

Gassho,
        Dosho

Comment

Working...