• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Realizing Genjokoan - Chapter 3 - P 35 to P 42

I HEART SUTRA!

We will only read the pages entitled Maka Hannya Haramitsu (stopping before the last few pages of Chapter 3 entitled "Genjo Koan").

Here is our version of the Heart Sutra that we usually chant at Treeleaf, if you want to compare it to this section.

The following is our Ceremony for the WEEKLY (90-minute) and MONTHLY (4 hour) ZAZENKAI: You can also download our Chant Book for Weekly and Monthly Zazenkai as a PDF ... LINK FOR CHANT BOOK DOWNLOAD (PDF) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dALXODBGWE1xLVXyE0oCADtnWIgpLJTz/view) Please download, print and treat respectfully,

This section's explanation by Okumura Roshi also struck me as a little dense, even if you are already very familiar with the Heart Sutra that Master Dogen was "riffing" on in Maka Hannya Haramitsu. So, I am going to try to "sum up" this section in a few sentences:

1- EVERYTHING ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... is empty! All is so Empty that we don't even have to bother to say or think about stuff being "Empty." The whole body, the senses, what the senses see or taste etc., mind, every element and atom (folks used to speak of earth, wind, fire, etc, as the building blocks of nature like we speak of atoms now), every blade of grass and the whole world, every moment of time past present future, all activities, the kitchen sink. They are all beyond mental categories and opposites such as "this and that," "me or you," "good vs. bad," "appearing or existing or disappearing," "sacred vs. mundane," "Buddha vs. ignorant beings" ... Empty, Empty, Empty!

2 - Everything is so Empty that it kind of pours back into (actually, never was apart or other than) everything to make things, each and all, unique and precious, its own special jewel. (Kind of like saying that each tiny grain of dust on the mountain is Empty of separate existence and is just the mountain, but because it is just the mountain, the whole mountain is every grain of dust too ... and so every grain of dust shines with the whole grandeur of the whole mountain totally embodied in that unique and ordinary grain of dust!)

... And realization of all this is Wisdom (Prajna).

3 - Even all of the Buddha's most traditional Teachings ... such as the Four Noble Truths ... are Empty. However, in fact, the whole point of these Teachings such as the Four Noble Truths is to free people from suffering. The way to free people from suffering is to have people experience the wholeness of Emptiness. Thus, realizing the Emptiness of even the Four Noble Truths and all things thereby attains the end of Suffering that the Four Noble Truths was seeking in the first place! Even Enlightenment is "Empty" and realizing so is Enlightenment!

4 - Because this body is Emptiness and Prajna, and our activities are Emptiness and Prajna, thus our practicing now in this human body is Emptiness and Prajna, already a shining jewel in our day to day acts of polishing, a manifestation of Enlightenment.

I like to compare Dogen to a jazz musician who "riffs" and syncopates the "standard teachings" to find some new sounds and facets in the standards. Do you see that in what Dogen did with the "old standard" Heart Sutra here? Or does Dogen's music not ring your bell so much?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-25-2019, 04:01 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

PS - I added a couple of lines to my "in a nutshell" guide above, so kindly read again after seeing this "p.s."

PPS - Even my "nutshell" is Empty!
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-18-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Seishin
      • Aug 2016

Sounds like One Bright Pearl Jundo but I will read on Roshi

Sat / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
      Shin - Heart

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seishin
        Sounds like One Bright Pearl Jundo but I will read on Roshi

Sat / lah
        By the same guy.

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Onka
          • May 2019

FYI i have decided to start reading the book from the beginning again. Maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but it feels like I'm getting much more from the book than i had done while racing to catch up... And therein lies the lesson for me.

Gassho
          Anna

Sat today
          穏 On (Calm)
          火 Ka (Fires)
          They/She.

Comment

• Kevin M
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Jundo
            2 - Everything is so Empty that it kind of pours back into everything to make things, each and all, unique and precious, its own special jewel. (Kind of like saying that each tiny grain of dust on the mountain is Empty of separate existence and is just the mountain, but because it is just the mountain, the whole mountain is every grain of dust too ... and so every grain of dust shines with the whole grandeur of the whole mountain totally embodied in that unique and ordinary grain of dust!)
            Thank you Jundo. The additional explanation here really helped as I didn't understand your original post. I love the image of every grain of sand and rock "being" the mountain. Is this sort of the Net of Indra idea?

... And realization of all this is Wisdom (Prajna).
            I didn't understand the equating of Wisdom with emptiness. Like how is the truth of suffering "Wisdom"? (not the awareness of the truth of suffering being Wisdom, but that suffering in and of itself is empty and hence is Wisdom). Is that what is being said? From my current level of understanding that's just a non-sequitur. And if everything goes into the puree of form/emptiness/Wisdom, then what is left of the teaching of Buddhism? Why this set of 16 precepts, and not another "anti-set" of precepts since all is equally empty and hence all is equally Wise?

Gassho,
            Kevin
            S@2Day

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin M
              Thank you Jundo. The additional explanation here really helped as I didn't understand your original post. I love the image of every grain of sand and rock "being" the mountain. Is this sort of the Net of Indra idea?
              Sure!

Another example is the golden lion imagined by Fazang, a patriarch of the same Hua Yen school of Buddhism and Indra's Net, to illustrate the relationship of form (a lion statue) to principle/absolute/Dharmakaya (the gold from which it is made). The lion's body is embodied in each hair - an infinity of infinities. In each and every hair [of the lion) there is the golden lion. All of the lions contained in each and every hair simultaneously and suddenly penetrate into one hair. Therefore, within each and every hair there are unlimited lions. Master Luo-p’u said, “As soon as a single atom comes into existence, the whole earth is contained within it. There’s a lion in every hair, and this is true of the whole body.”

I didn't understand the equating of Wisdom with emptiness. Like how is the truth of suffering "Wisdom"? (not the awareness of the truth of suffering being Wisdom, but that suffering in and of itself is empty and hence is Wisdom). Is that what is being said? From my current level of understanding that's just a non-sequitur. And if everything goes into the puree of form/emptiness/Wisdom, then what is left of the teaching of Buddhism? Why this set of 16 precepts, and not another "anti-set" of precepts since all is equally empty and hence all is equally Wise?
              Yes, penetrating the truth that suffering is Empty is thus Wisdom.

However, we also continue to live in this world of birth and death, sickness and health, ups and downs, me and you, and so long as we are doing so, there is suffering (empty or not). Being willing to embrace that fact too, right to the bone, is also Wisdom. Suffering fully vanishes in Emptiness, yet does not ... and experiencing this is Wisdom. There is no sickness and health, yet there is. There is no birth and death, yet there is. Everything goes into the "puree" of Emptiness, yet re-emerges (not really, because it always was so, so never "goes in" or "emerges") as itself too. The Precepts go into the Puree ... thus there is no killing possible, nobody to kill and nobody to be killed ... no stealing possible, because nobody to take, nothing to be taken, nothing lacking ... and yet, in this world, we do not kill or steal because anger, violence and excess desire cloud this fact. Thus, we need the Precepts. They are also Golden.

Does that help?

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Kevin M
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Jundo
                ... In each and every hair [of the lion) there is the golden lion. ...
                Cool. That reminds me of genetics. Every cell in my body contains a copy (in a sense) of my entire body, bones, brain, heart, eyes, everything. Amazing.

However, we also continue to live in this world of birth and death, sickness and health, ups and downs, me and you, and so long as we are doing so, there is suffering (empty or not).
                Does that help?
                I had forgotten the other side of the first three lines of Genjokoan i.e. that non-emptiness is still there in the experience of "sentient beings" (say). And it's at that level that the teaching exists (even though all is empty, ultimately).

Yes it does help, thank you.

Gassho,
                Kevin
                S@2Day

Comment

• Kotei
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Mar 2015

Hello,

Dogen's riffing feels like proving the Heart Sutra.
                  Like a mathematician he puts the result, after understanding and solving the equation, back into the equation to see if it makes sense and is true.

I like the practical approach of seeing and experiencing the wisdom of Emptiness in everyday's actions and sacred rituals (not two).
                  Learning this way penetrates deeper, than the intellectual examination, I am more used to.

Gassho,
                  Kotei sat/lah today.
                  義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Heiso
                    • Jan 2019

I love this riffing the constant probing and testing of rules and certainties, it keeps me on my toes. Just when I think I have a handle on something it slips away like an eel.

It seems like I should keep reminding myself that form is emptiness absolutely but relatively it is also form and that knowing this, practising it and experiencing it is the wisdom of reality.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Comment

• Shonin Risa Bear
                      • Apr 2019

"I" have felt for years that the Heart Sutra already kind of says what Dogen is saying about it, or rather that once one has set up Dharma and walked around it to look it over, one sees how it contains its opposite, like a standing wave -- photon-no photon cat-no cat Schroedinger-no Schroedinger. So "my" (me-not me or maybe just me-not merely me but also empty of essence [lordy]) original thought was, oh, he's just pointing out the obvious -- remembering how Buddha is said to have said "from the beginning till today I haven't said a thing." Reading this passage and the comments led to vaguely remembering (and looking up):

"Whatever is dependently co-arisen / That is explained to be emptiness.
                      That, being a dependent designation, / Is itself the middle way." -- Nagarjuna

After which I had to hunt down Dogen's remarks on the Chinese monastery with the passageway of ancestor paintings -- how he couldn't find anyone who got that the "big enso" painting of Nagarjuna as the full moon was all wrong in its literalism -- a display of misdirected erudition. Nagarjuna should just be painted as a sitting Nagarjuna -- THAT is Nagarjuna as the full moon. The whole world being one bright pearl, how is it that we paint just one ancestor as one bright pearl?

So the Japanese visitor starts riffing on "painted rice cakes" and his monastery tour guide is like "... whaa?"

gassho _()_
                      doyu possibly has sat today
                      Last edited by Shonin Risa Bear; 08-21-2019, 04:17 PM. Reason: typos as usual -- getting old is a riot
                      Visiting priest: use salt

Comment

• Shinshi
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2010

I found this section incredibly moving and insightful. I had two strong impressions in my mind when I read it. The first was nesting dolls. You see the doll, but then there is something deeper, and then something deeper after that.

The other was music related. It is often said it is the the note not played that is the most important. It is the space around the notes that creates the beauty of the notes.

And with that, I am going to go play my guitar. See if I can go connect with some Prajna.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                        There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
                        -Dogen
                        E84I - JAJ

Comment

• sosen
                          • Oct 2018

What Dogen does with the Heart Sutra definitely rings a bell for me - he uses words to move beyond words with rhythm, movement, images - never missing a beat or losing a step. It’s creative, dynamic and alive, rather than static and abstract, so the resonance gets past intellectualisation to more of a felt understanding with the body. i'm not a musician - movement is more natural for me, so i experience it in a very tacit, tactile way.

_()_
                          sosen
                          stlah

Comment

• Tairin
                            • Feb 2016

Lovely reading.

There are many little passages I highlighted in this section that I found meaningful. What really stuck with me was the overall concept that Dogen is trying to communicate which is really that life and practice are one. Practice isn't just sitting on the zafu for X minutes each day. This practice permeates all of life. I tend to use the (borrowed) conjunction "life-practice" in my own references for this reason.

Tairin
                            Sat today and lah
                            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Heiso
                              • Jan 2019

Shinshi, I love that point about the space between the notes - I was just discussing how this seems to apply to haiku too.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Comment

Working...