X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

Hi,

If it can be said that a minimalist life is best, then it is implied that a life of comfort and excess is not desired.

If it can be said that it is desirable to live like a beggar on the streets, then it is implied that not to do so is preferable.

If it can be said that peace is desirable, then war is created for when this arises that arises.

Romancing Buddhism is creating distinctions. Things are just as they are. It is what it is. Do the right thing with what you are and got and cut it out!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Rich
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ForestDweller
      Yes, I recognize a former self of mine in Jundo's comments. I now call the dis-ease I had a "performance addiction." I wasn't an addict in a material-acquisition sense, but I was addicted to accumulating college degrees, better and better jobs, and higher and higher salaries, all as a mark of my worth, not what it could buy. Now, as many of you know, my husband, two dogs, and I live in a small log cabin in a remote boreal Forest on the Canadian border. Simplify! Simplify! And simplify again! That's what we've done. And the less we have, the more there is. It's always enough. I'm reasonably sure that we now "appreciate and seek the truly important matters in life," but continuous vigilance is necessary. The intangible "things" are always up for attachment. Still, I have to give us some credit, as we've progressed a long way from complexity to simplicity. It is wonderful to simply look out the window and be grateful for the Forest, the red squirrel eating the bird seed we've put out, the hairy woodpecker eating more seed far above the squirrel, my German Shepherd at my feet snoozing, my beloved husband. Yes, everything changes, and all is impermanent. Still, feeling gratitude for what is now isn't the worst way to live, and it's a whole lot less cluttered than it once was. ^^ForestSatToday^^ CatherineS

Thanks. Feeling gratitude is the place to be.

Sat today
      _/_
      Rich
      MUHYO
      無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Risho
        • May 2010

I really don't have anything to add; what you all have said strikes home. I don't think we can solve the worlds problems, but we can practice and in that way we can help a bit. I think we can strive towards goals always knowing where we are, without being obsessed, just watching and being ready, acting when we need to, resting when we don't. But losing ourselves completely when we need to do something and losing our selves completely when we don't need to do anything. I don't think there is one formula that fits everyone; we have to each figure it out for ourselves. That's probably why zen teachers always have to speak from both sides of their no-sided mouth.

Gassho,

Risho
        -sattoday
        Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Byokan
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jundo
          ... Uchiyama Roshi describes a human race that is so intent on moving forward, and getting more, that it cannot be at peace. We think that if we are truly satisfied and know peace, we will let life drift by, become stagnant and achieve nothing.

But is that true?
          Hi All,

I think this section of the book touches on something essential. It’s too big to put into words, and yet it’s as simple as saying, “enough, thank you”.

This moment is enough. Right now is what it is and it contains everything. This moment is the fulfillment and realization of everything and every other moment, quite literally. It may or may not align with our temporal desires but nothing is missing. Seeing and experiencing this fullness, this wholeness, is dwelling in peace. This is a point of stillness and perfection in the midst of all arising and passing. But this still point is not the whole story; we don’t just rest on our laurels and say, okay I found it, good for me, the end.

Because life continues to arise. The moment moves on, and that still point is only a place to put your foot down as you step forward into the next moment, responding and dealing with what arises next. There is always work to be done, and always hope for better, and always room for improvement, even as we accept and find gratitude for the wholeness of this moment. We move forward in stillness, we carry it within us, we embody the stillness even as we embody motion.

This, to me, is shikantaza, on and off the cushion: resting, abiding in completeness, still, while in constant motion.

For whatever reason, we humans seem to be wired, or socialized, or cursed, or whatever, to always want something else, something better, something more. Instead of fighting that very real and constant drive, I wonder if we can learn to direct it toward the good. Use the momentum of that drive toward a better end. We can incorporate it and use it in our bodhisattva vow. I suppose some would say we need to totally conquer and get rid of it, but I’m starting with what I have, here and now. That drive is, for better or for worse, an abundant and renewable source of energy. I’m working with what is at hand. If that drive (for more, for something different, something better than what is here now) can be trained away from the short-sighted (the never-ending cycle of self-ish desire & craving) toward a larger perspective (lessen suffering, do good, save all sentient beings), then we’re at least moving in the right direction. The way to stay oriented toward the good is to find the still point, again and again, constantly, and move forward from there.

I don’t know if that makes sense, but thanks for letting me ramble.

Gassho
          Byōkan
          sat today
          展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
          Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

Working...