LIVING by VOW: The Robe Chant - pp 79 - 86 (All Chapter 4)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joyo

Originally posted by aprapti

coos

std/lah
    It looks good on you, Aprapti. =)

Gassho,
    Joyo
    sat today/lah

Comment

• MyoHo
      • Feb 2013

Sewing, always sewing this wonderfull robe.

Gassho

MyoHo
      Mu

Comment

• aprapti
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Joyo
        It looks good on you, Aprapti. =)

Gassho,
        Joyo
        sat today/lah
        Thank you, Joyo.
        its more taoistic than zen, but..

Coos

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• AlanLa
          • Mar 2008

This chapter is a reminder of how sewing my rakusu was one of the most wonderful things I have ever done here at Treeleaf. I can think of no single action that has been a better or more direct teaching of how to honor the process that is so essential to Zen. I know every stitch in it because of the awareness cultivated in the growing and sewing of it, and that is its reward that I try (and fail) to honor as this chapter describes. My rakusu is one of my most (pricelessly) valuable possessions, but I would not fret if it were somehow destroyed. Its teaching lives a life far greater than its form, thus making it formless.
          AL (Jigen) in:
          Faith/Trust
          Courage/Love
          Awareness/Action!

I sat today

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

One day the Buddha, walking in the countryside with his attendant Ānanda, noticed the beautiful patterns of rice paddies newly planted with green seedlings and surrounded by footpaths. They are especially beautiful in the rainy season when the rice is new. The Buddha remarked to Ānanda, “These are so beautiful. Could you make a robe like this?” Ānanda agreed.
            I didn't participate in Jukai last year but watched with fascination as last year's Jukai participants dutifully took large pieces of fabric, cut it up into small pieces and then sowed it all back together. Aside from the inherent practice of sewing I assumed there was some method to the madness. Now I understand.

I am very much enjoying this book.

Gassho
            Warren
            Sat today
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Meitou
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by AlanLa
              This chapter is a reminder of how sewing my rakusu was one of the most wonderful things I have ever done here at Treeleaf. I can think of no single action that has been a better or more direct teaching of how to honor the process that is so essential to Zen. I know every stitch in it because of the awareness cultivated in the growing and sewing of it, and that is its reward that I try (and fail) to honor as this chapter describes. My rakusu is one of my most (pricelessly) valuable possessions, but I would not fret if it were somehow destroyed. Its teaching lives a life far greater than its form, thus making it formless.
              As I said earlier, this is all new ground for me, so as well as reading this chapter, I also read Master Dogen's words on Robe Transmission in the Shobogenzo which I found really informative.( I do like his disparaging, no faffing about style - his use of 'pitiful' and 'laughable' also made me laugh).
              What I've learnt in this chapter is very simple - I really like the idea of actually 'wearing' the Dharma , I love the idea of sewing a rakusu too and I hope to be able to do that... but if all of this inspired me, nothing could have inspired me more than AlanLa's post above. Deepest of bows to you AlanLa. perfect words.

Gassho,
              Frankie

Satwithyoualltoday/lah
              命 Mei - life
              島 Tou - island

Comment

• Meian
                • Apr 2015

I'm still reading this book, just in a weird order. Actually been jumping around a bit, reading small sections and reflecting on what I read. I've been busy with school and family - and my local sangha has asked me to get involved in their outreach work in our community (walk the talk). So I am able to help in projects involving homeless, addiction rehabilitation, the elderly, and suicide intervention programs.

As I read sections of the book, I feel it calling me to put my actions where my professed beliefs are. Maybe I'm wrong in this, but it feels to me that it challenges me to look at what I say I believe from another angle. What I read is coinciding (synchronicity) with the community work and my life events going on. The sangha I go to is a bit of a drive, and my sangha mates have been gently asking me when I will relocate closer to them (working on it, big task). My neurologist has cleared me of major health issues and "ordered" me back to sangha for my own health and well-being (I'm serious, she did).

So I continue to read the book, read posts quietly here at TreeLeaf, and my family/grad school - I have added community service thru my local sangha that varies depending on which organization we're partnering with. The sangha asked me to join their BoD this fall, so that will open more opportunities to serve my community and the sangha. Living By Vow is helping me to clarify many things in my life and practice in surprising ways - I am grateful to be reading it, even if I'm reading it in a different order :-)

Gassho
                Kim
                St/lh

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
                visiting Unsui
                Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

Working...