LIVING by VOW: The Four Bodhisattva Vows - PP 31 to 41 (thru Magnanimous Mind)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaishin
    • Dec 2010

Heaven is not a good place to practice
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• tlsk
      • May 2017

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the lag folks, I'm catching up from behind and reading slowly! This book keeps getting better and better. This section is of particular interest to me because I'm "co-reading" Opening the Hand of Thought. Uchiyama's perspective really resonates with me: at some points--particularly in OTHOT I feel as if I'm reading things that I've always believed to be true, but never expressed in words before. I also appreciate how Uchiyama challenges the reader without condescending. Personally, it really inspires me to practice.

As far as "The Three Minds" are concerned, I immediately saw areas of my life and practice in which I could improve in all three categories. lol. Each of the three shed light on different attitudes I kind of carry around as a baseline point of reference that don't necessarily have to be so. For example, the section on Joyful Mind really made me consider my attitude toward my day to day circumstances. While I'm sure most people would welcome--even actively desire--an improvement in their day to day circumstances, and I'm no exception. Sometimes I even go as far as to throw a mild pity party because I don't feel I'm "where I should be in life." But to read in the excerpt from the Tenzokyokun,
      You must reflect that if you were born in heaven you would cling to ceaseless bliss and not give rise to the Way-seeking mind.
      and Okumura's subsequent commentary
      ...If we don't encounter some hardship or difficulty, we don't arouse bodhi-mind. We won't seek after the Way when our life is full of happiness and joy. Heaven is not a good place to practice.
      In other words, we're called to accept that if things were any better, they wouldn't be nearly as good! I almost laughed out loud when I read that. Truly inspiring.

The Paternal Mind was also a real eye-opener. Having recently become a father for the first time--as of late February--I can confidently say that I've never felt anything like the love I feel for my son. And my life before he was born was not without genuine love, but what I feel for my son almost deserves its own word. Love is almost too weak to describe it. Now, I learn this practice calls for me to approach everyone with that kind of love? Talk about a tall order. It's inspiring, sure, but I just learned this type of love was possible <4 months ago, suffice it to say I've got some serious work to put in. Also, it strikes me as odd to hear a monastic like Dogen describe to other monastics the necessity of maintaining a love for all beings that only mothers and fathers of only children can understand. Would anyone care to take a swing at how that's even conceivable?

Finally, Magnanimous Mind. This is the one I feel I am most comfortable with. That being said, I am way better at maintaining this attitude when I'm giving advice to other people, or mediating a discussion between two separate parties. I could seriously benefit from practicing this more closely when it concerns my own personal life and feelings.

Again, sorry for the delayed post! I should be able to keep up to speed now!

Gassho,

Taylor
      SatToday/LAH
      a bee / staggers out / of the peony.
      -matsuo basho

Comment

• Meian
        • Apr 2015

I am so far behind, I feel like I am starting from scratch. But I think that's ok, seeing the comments here. I think we each have our own storms going on. Joyo, metta for you and your child.

Tapatalk is blunt, it told me "you don't have permission to post here" :O So I logged onto the forum instead, and realised it was just that the last section had finished (phew! thought I did something wrong and couldn't remember). So I am really behind, but will just read when I am able to. I think it's ok. I learned last year that everything has its season, and that it is all part of our temple, and nothing exists outside of our temple, no matter how grungy or messy or stormy it gets.

Thank you all for sharing your practice here, it really helps me to understand my own practice better.

gassho
        kim
        (chanted today)
        鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
        visiting Unsui
        Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by allwhowander
          I am so far behind, I feel like I am starting from scratch. But I think that's ok, seeing the comments here. I think we each have our own storms going on. Joyo, metta for you and your child.

Tapatalk is blunt, it told me "you don't have permission to post here" :O So I logged onto the forum instead, and realised it was just that the last section had finished (phew! thought I did something wrong and couldn't remember). So I am really behind, but will just read when I am able to. I think it's ok. I learned last year that everything has its season, and that it is all part of our temple, and nothing exists outside of our temple, no matter how grungy or messy or stormy it gets.

Thank you all for sharing your practice here, it really helps me to understand my own practice better.

gassho
          kim
          (chanted today)
          You are not behind at all Kim, we all work at our own pace. Plus, this book is such a gem, you will read it more then once. =)

Gassho
          Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• M.C. Easton
            • Nov 2016

I'm enjoying reading all your profound thoughts--it's a gift reading this beautiful book as a sangha.

Touching on Jundo's question about how the three minds manifest in our daily lives, I think my biggest struggles are Joyful and Magnanimous Minds. I think Parental Mind has always come naturally to me. Having had a painful childhood, I have never been able to stand seeing any being in pain, and I stepped into the parental role quite young--towards myself and others. When I am with people, I am always focused on supporting them so that they feel secure and loved and confident. Not in a people-pleasing way; I can say difficult truths when I see that's what a student or loved one needs. I just wouldn't have the slightest idea how to teach my students without this Parental Mind of self-sacrifice and complete focus on nurturing the other.

But Joyful Mind is much harder for me, especially these last few years of growing health problems and disability. It's something I'm working on, and this sangha is helping. But it's definitely an area of growth. Truly, the way Okumura described it, Joyful Mind sounded like "Grateful Mind" to me. I also struggle with "Magnanimous Mind." I'm a writer and a student of many languages, and so I'm obsessed with finding the "mot juste" for everything. It is nearly impossible to use language free of judgment--words carry so much flavor and tint. Trying not to label things and just see them--without the connotations and implications inherent to labels-is very hard for me. Sometimes I can during zazen, but living that way? I don't know.

I was most interested in the ideas of repentance and vow that Okumura further refined in this section. I cannot believe that simply being aware of my limitations is the whole of repentance. Surely we must also act--apologize, strive to do better--beyond sitting? Is this why he says that "Vow AND repentance are two kinds of energy that enable us to continue our practice" (p. 34)? Perhaps the vow part is what most other traditions view as the act of repentance (making things right with those we have harmed)?

Gassho
            Melanie
            SatToday

Comment

• Myogan
              • Aug 2015

Magnanimous Mind is a struggle for me, until I sit, then my ego is taken down a notch. During the rest of the time nurturing mind often prevails, but in my profession I have to be careful, nurturing a sick patient can quickly become arrogance when dealing a child's difficult parent.

whether one believes in the 6 realms it is easy to see parallels in life, and the fact that my life has led to the Dharma is still quite astonishing, like the blind turtle

imagine a single floating ring drifting randomly in the great oceans!
              Imagine also a blind turtle swimming about, which surfaces only once every 100 years...
              What do you think, Bhikkhus, would that blind turtle by chance often dive right up under
              this randomly drifting single ring and insert its neck into this half meter wide hole?
              If it ever would happen at all, Sir, it would only happen after an incredibly long time!
              Yet, Bhikkhus and friends, I tell you, that this would happen sooner, than a fool, who has
              fallen into the lower levels of existence, would again regain this rare human state

129-balapandita
              Gashho
              sat
              Marc Connery
              明岩
              Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

• Tairin
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by M.C. Easton
                But Joyful Mind is much harder for me, especially these last few years of growing health problems and disability. It's something I'm working on, and this sangha is helping. But it's definitely an area of growth. Truly, the way Okumura described it, Joyful Mind sounded like "Grateful Mind" to me.
                Hi Melanie

I think you are right to tie "Joyful" and "Grateful" together. I think it is very easy to get wrapped up in a lot of the negativity that seems to pervade society today. Stopping to recognize that there is a lot to be grateful for is an antidote.

My wife, son and I have a supper time ritual of recounting what in the day we are thankful for. Some days it is easy but on some days it can be downright difficult to see through the muck of the day to pull out something positive to be grateful for. No one gets a pass and when we have guests for supper they join in. To me it is a great practise and one that leads to a more positive Joyful mind.

Gassho
                Warren
                Sat today but no LAH yet.
                泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

Working...