• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sekishi
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Apr 2013

Issue: Slow / Double Posts and PMs and a Bad Spiderbot

Hello everyone,

As some of you have noted, the Treeleaf site and forum have had periods of slow page loads (and even complete time-outs) over the past 48 hours. In some cases that has led to double-postings and duplicated PMs, weird floods of push notifications on mobile devices, etc.

After some detective work by multiple folks behind the scenes, we have tracked it down to an ill-behaved search engine "spider" (bot) that was accessing the forum thousands of times per hour from many thousands of different IP addresses.

For the time being this "spider" has been blocked at our firewall.

However, if anyone continues to observe slow load times or outages, please post here or PM myself, Kotei, or Koushi.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-18-2023, 11:17 PM.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.
  • Doshin
    • May 2015

For the last few days I would not be allowed to sign in and would be ask to identify all the bicycles bridges etc in the photo..but then still doesn’t let me in because it says my IP address shows lots of activity (or something like that). I guess this is related to above?

Doshin

Comment

• Sekishi
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Doshin
      For the last few days I would not be allowed to sign in and would be ask to identify all the bicycles bridges etc in the photo..but then still doesn’t let me in because it says my IP address shows lots of activity (or something like that). I guess this is related to above?

Doshin
      Maybe? Or you are on a VPN so your address is shared with other folks (some of whom may be up to no good)?

Let me know if this issue resolves today. Because if not it may be for a different reason entirely.

Deep bows,
      Sekishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Doshin
        • May 2015

It is doing it again on a different device on a different network a hundred miles away. It allowed me to log in and check calendar multiple times today then not. I may have not been clear before, I can log into Treeleaf but the challenge (check I am not a robot then identify objects in picture, then back to check I am not a robot) comes when I try to access CALENDAR

Doshin

Comment

• Bion
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2020

It is doing it again on a different device on a different network a hundred miles away. It allowed me to log in and check calendar multiple times today then not. I may have not been clear before, I can log into Treeleaf but the challenge (check I am not a robot then identify objects in picture, then back to check I am not a robot) comes when I try to access CALENDAR

Doshin
          The Calendar issue is because of Google actually, so nothing our tech folks can do something about. [emoji53] Sometimes Google misbehaves and it’s just a matter of waiting it out ..

[emoji1374] Sat
          "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

Originally posted by Bion
            The Calendar issue is because of Google actually, so nothing our tech folks can do something about. [emoji53] Sometimes Google misbehaves and it’s just a matter of waiting it out ..

[emoji1374] Sat
            Doshin
            This is true. Bion gave me that same advice a while ago and it did eventually work itself out. Until then, it is frustrating for sure.

I was beginning to think it was Jundo testing how I handled frustration before ordination [emoji13]
            Daiman
            St

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Doshin
              • May 2015

Thanks Bion and Daiman.

I can shut off device and sometimes that clears it. What I have learned to do is not to try and log into the Calendar for a sit at last minute but build in a buffer time for Google to work out its kinks.

Doshin
              St

Comment

• Sekishi
                Treeleaf Priest
                • Apr 2013

I can shut off device and sometimes that clears it. What I have learned to do is not to try and log into the Calendar for a sit at last minute but build in a buffer time for Google to work out its kinks.
                Are you on an Apple device?

We've had this happen sometimes (myself included) when using an iPhone or iPad with "Use a private network address" turned on. This is basically an Apple VPN: your network traffic routes through an encrypted network and "exits" via an IP address shared with many other people. This is good for privacy because it hides your physical location and such, but if anyone else has attacked Google's services (or any service that shares attack patterns with Google), the IP address gets blocked. Which blocks everyone who is on it.

Eventually we may have to move away from displaying the calendar directly from Google, but it will take quite a bit of work.

Gassho,
                Sekishi

Comment

• Doshin
                  • May 2015

Yes, I am using an iPad when the problem occurs. I will use laptop when I can. The iPad is easy when I travel to get into the calendar/sits.

Thank you

Doshin

Comment

Working...