Zen as Embodiment (2) - Buddha 'Sitting' Buddha

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shonin Risa Bear
    • Apr 2019

In surveying the past, we find that transcendence of both unenlightenment and enlightenment, and dying while either sitting or standing, have all depended entirely on the strength (of zazen).
    -- Dogen

"Die sitting, die standing" was the motto of a hard-working old nun, and she in fact managed to die standing in the Buddha hall of her tiny temple, as reported by Paula Arai. I think of her often.

I connect this with this from Shunryu Suzuki:

We just practice zazen, taking our example from Buddha; that is why we practice. Buddha taught us how to act through our practice; that is why we sit.
    How to act: there are many dissipative, greedy, foolish, angry ways to act. There are a few ways to act within clarity and peace. Sitting can be a ground from which to act within clarity and peace.

Thank you, Jundo. This was just the thing.

gassho, shonin sat and some lah today
    Visiting priest: use salt

Comment

• Washin
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Dec 2014

How to act: there are many dissipative, greedy, foolish, angry ways to act. There are a few ways to act within clarity and peace. Sitting can be a ground from which to act within clarity and peace.

Gassho,
      Washin
      stlah
      Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
      Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
      ----
      I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
      and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Seishin
        • Aug 2016

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
        Shin - Heart

Comment

• Tokan
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Oct 2016

Thank you Jundo

When you take this truly to heart, I believe your practice begins to really unfold - no attainment - just depth and insight (for me anyhow!)

SatLah

Tokan
          平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
          I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Tobiishi
            • Jan 2009

sat today
            It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Comment

• VictorV
              • Nov 2019

Today I sat without letting go of the conviction that I am a Buddha sitting like a Buddha and it has meant a giant change in my zazen.
              Now I try to live off the cushion with the same conviction: talking like a Buddha talks, walking like a Buddha walks, driving like a Buddha drives ... Thanks Jundo, it's like the missing piece in my life.
              Gassho
              SATLah
              V.

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by VictorV
                Today I sat without letting go of the conviction that I am a Buddha sitting like a Buddha and it has meant a giant change in my zazen.
                Now I try to live off the cushion with the same conviction: talking like a Buddha talks, walking like a Buddha walks, driving like a Buddha drives ... Thanks Jundo, it's like the missing piece in my life.
                Gassho
                SATLah
                V.
                Just don't let it go to you head, because EVERYTHING is also Buddha, including dog poop and rusty tin cans.

Gassho, J

STLah
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• VictorV
                  • Nov 2019

Gassho
                  SATLah
                  V.

Comment

Working...