Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yokai
    • Jan 2020

Thanks Jundo

My query is the collapsing zazen mudra! Stay with balanced, stable mind and let it be?

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Yokai
      Thanks Jundo

My query is the collapsing zazen mudra! Stay with balanced, stable mind and let it be?

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah
      Neither let it be nor do not let it be.

Every once in awhile while sitting, now and then, we come back, adjust the posture to one that is comfortable, stable and balanced. At such time, bring the mudra to its open roundness and resume sitting, dropping all from mind in the mind's open roundness.

Gassho, J

STLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Yokai
        • Jan 2020

Thank you Jundo

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) st/lah

Comment

• Rousei
          • Oct 2020

I happen to have terrible eye sight, -7 in each eye, so it's very unnatural for me to take my glasses off. However recently i've been considering taking them off during Zazen. I was wondering if anyone with terrible eye sight or otherwise has any advice/comments on this or if it's not an issue and is ok with or without.

Gassho
          Mark
          ST
          浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

Comment

• Seikan
            • Apr 2020

Hi Mark,

Sounds like you have similar eyesight to me. I'm a little more than -7 in each eye and just switched to progressive lenses to boot. That said, I always wear my glasses when sitting and just let my eyes do whatever they will. Sometimes they stay in focus, sometimes not. It's all good just as it is.

I don't think it matters much either way as long as you are comfortable with it. Others here may have different opinions though. This is just my 1.5 cents.

Gassho,
            Seikan,

-stlah-

(apologies for running long...)

Originally posted by WanderingIntrospection
            I happen to have terrible eye sight, -7 in each eye, so it's very unnatural for me to take my glasses off. However recently i've been considering taking them off during Zazen. I was wondering if anyone with terrible eye sight or otherwise has any advice/comments on this or if it's not an issue and is ok with or without.

Gassho
            Mark
            ST
            聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Gassho
              Mark
              ST
              Really, on or off or totally blind, no matter.

Do not be disturbed in either case, because the "disturbance" exists between the ears. When on sit on, when off sit off.

Maybe, though, better to keep them on for the same reason that we keep the eyes open, to see just naturally. No reason to be blurry. Many Zen folks sit with glasses.

Gassho, J

STLah
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Suuko
                • May 2017

Gassho
                Mark
                ST
                I sit with my glasses on as well. It's totally fine for Zazen.

Gassho,
                Sat today,
                Lah,
                Geerish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
                Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                  • Oct 2014

My long comment was back in Sept. I had just given up an addictive substance (prescriptions by doctor), two hospital stays (not treatment) settled on an antidepressent, I'd needed one for years, and now I sit with several disabilities, in an office chair with arms. Feet on the floor, and I'm graduating to nice slippers my daughter gave me. I have chair situated so I face a wall, with alter on the left. However, printer table is close to my gaze. This is the best I've ever had.
                  Gassho
                  sat/ lah
                  Tai Shi.
                  Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Tobiishi
                    • Jan 2009

It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Comment

Working...