Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardH
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Geika
    I am with Jundo, and all of you, but I will also put in my support for women, with no regret, who simply do not wish to give birth to a child, regardless of whether or not they were raped, or in poor health for pregnancy. It is a personal choice that I feel no one else can make for a person or stipulate.

Gassho, sat today
    Hi Geika. Obviously this subject can cause deep fault lines among well meaning people. My feeling is that on balance, and as a wise public policy, abortion be regarded as a private matter of conscience for each woman.

That is the only particular policy subject I'll wade into here.

Gassho
    Daizan

Sat today
    Last edited by RichardH; 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

I am with Jundo, and all of you, but I will also put in my support for women, with no regret, who simply do not wish to give birth to a child, regardless of whether or not they were raped, or in poor health for pregnancy. It is a personal choice that I feel no one else can make for a person or stipulate.

Gassho, sat today
      Hi Geika,

I changed the wording a little with "or", as what I wrote was unclear.

But again, this is a matter for each woman and her doctor, and just my personal feeling. Others may differ.

I will support access to birth control for all and decent women’s health care, and (with some regret) abortion in the early months, or in cases of rape or to protect the life of the mother.

Gassho, J

SatToday
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Seishin
        • Aug 2016

Jundo

I applaud the stance you have taken in publicly speaking out. These are indeed worrying times. There used to be a saying in the UK, "when the US sneezes England getsa cold", this then became Europe and now sadly much of the globe. I only hope that Trump's policies and bigoted views are not transmitted outside of the US and that common sense will prevail if only after his term in office. Sadly in my heart in know that will be unlikely before too much damage is done but live in hope.

Greed Anger/Hatred Ignorance right here right now, should those be the attributes of the person whose office is dubbed "the most powerful man in the world"?

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
        Shin - Heart

Comment

• Kenshou
          • Oct 2016

Gassho and Thank you very much for this talk Jundo Sensei.
          I was wondering if we could please include the millions of animals suffering brutal lives and dying horrific deaths in factory farms around the world in this list.
          I have (as much as any Australian really can) been in great and vocal opposition to Donald Trump as president, before he had even been elected. His winning the election actually caused a great dark cloud in my life and so I had been avoiding political news by any and all means.
          Having done this for a few months, I have began to wonder; could these opinions/policies be caused by a great fear within himself? Then also what could possibly be causing such fear?
          It seems to me (in my limited understanding) that this man has had rather a great deal of wealth and power his entire life; it could be that his attachment to these things has caused a great fear of losing them. My biggest worry is that he had become attached to even the idea of his new power before he had even really received it, and that these policies are an attempt to keep said power, and if so, what's going to be next for the U.S and the world.

Gassho
          Patrick
          Sat today

Comment

• Ronchan
            • Nov 2010

Thank you for these words, Jundo.
            Can I get your permission to translate them into Dutch? I might just want to sqeeze them in, somewhere: we are having elections in four weeks time.
            There are voters and politicians who could use some of this, I think.

Gassho
            Ronald
            ..will sit tonight..
            With gentleness overcome anger. With generosity overcome meanness. With truth overcome deceit.
            Buddha

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Paddy
              I was wondering if we could please include the millions of animals suffering brutal lives and dying horrific deaths in factory farms around the world in this list.
              I will add something. I am not vegetarian, and perhaps most Asian Buddhists are not strictly vegetarian (some believe it is required by the Precepts), but I do believe that we should be more humane to farm animals.

- I will support more humane treatment of animals in farming.

Gassho, Jundo

PS - Yes, please translate this into Dutch or any other language if you think it will have positive impact on world politics.
              Last edited by Jundo; 02-22-2017, 02:44 PM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Joyo

Gassho, sat today
                I am in total agreement, Geika.

Thank you, Jundo. I am also in agreement with everything you posted. As well as advocating more human treatment for animals.

Gassho,
                Joyo
                sat today

Comment

• Onkai
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo, and everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Gassho,
                  Onkai
                  SatToday
                  美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                  恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Risho
                    • May 2010

I agree about opposing "the wall". It simply doesn't go far enough. We need a retractable dome with a moon roof in case it's nice outside :P

Seriously:

Gassho,

Risho
                    -sattoday
                    Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Kenshou
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Jundo
                      I will add something. I am not vegetarian, and perhaps most Asian Buddhists are not strictly vegetarian (some believe it is required by the Precepts), but I do believe that we should be more humane to farm animals.
                      Thankyou very much Jundo Sensei.
                      I am not a strict vegetarian either (I avoid eating meat where I can, but won't cook a separate meal for myself if my wife feels like meat, and won't ask for others to cook a separate meal for me when eating at someone else's house).

Gassho
                      Patrick
                      sat today

Comment

• Geika
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jan 2010

I feel that is a really practical way to be, Patrick.

Gassho, sat today
                        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Kenshou
                          • Oct 2016

Thank you Geika.

Gassho

sat today

Comment

Working...