SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Who Is a Priest ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Another reminder that there a many ways to play the game ...

A tribute to the world's best wheelchair basketball player

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
      • Oct 2012

Wow! These guys rock. [emoji120]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Tom
        • Jan 2013

I haven't yet seen any mention of people who are unable to attend a physical sangha or monastery and the ways traditional priest/teacher/sangha companion training excludes such individuals--thus losing a well of rich wisdom and devotion to the dharma and the sangha. I think for anyone leaning towards traditional priest training as the only acceptable method, they must be mindful of this fact when making their case.
        There'd be no Zen for me if it wasn't for Treeleaf.
        I was excluded for over a decade. I stumbled across Zen in 2000, (aside from pop culture, movie and health spa references). The only sanghas where I lived back then were Thai-run Theravadin temples. "You westerners worry too much about meditation," said the nice young Monk. "Better you just focus on practicing Sila." Lay people weren't excluded from the evening meditation sessions. The monk was always happy to discuss the teachings. We just weren't included, that's all.
        Buddhism's been crossing borders for 2,500 years. Treeleaf has just taken across another border, an electronic one. After all, the travelling Monks in ancient times only had scrolls and stories to carry the Dharma. I'd say Skype, Googlehangout and online archives are an upgrade. :P
        Gassho,
        Tom.
        Sat.
        Last edited by Tom; 03-24-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tom
          I was excluded for over a decade. I stumbled across Zen in 2000, (aside from pop culture, movie and health spa references). The only sanghas where I live back then were Thai-run Theravadin temples. "You westerners worry too much about meditation," said the nice young Monk. "Better you just focus on practicing sila." Lay people weren't excluded from the evening meditation sessions. The monk was always happy to discuss the teachings. We just weren't included, that's all.
          They just have their own ways. Different strokes.

Gassho, J

SatToday
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tom
            • Jan 2013

Wasn't a criticism, just an affirmation that some people can't get to a Zen center. It's a hard-working community that gives Dharma talks and Sunday school for the kids and does charity work.
            Gassho, T.
            SatToday.

Comment

Working...