• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myosha
    • Mar 2013

With gratitude for lesson.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Tai Shi
      • Oct 2014

Thanks, Jundo I am a senior and at my age and being a junior member, I am relieved to know I just am, I don't need to seek change, and I can learn at my own speed, and in my own way. Certainly I am still growing at my speed, and that's okay. Thanks for the lesson. Elgwyn.
      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Shokai
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Mar 2009

Remember, the answer to the question, "What's new ?" Is always, "Everthing !"
        合掌,生開
        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Kyotai

I watch this talk every now and again when I find myself searching for whats next.

Thank you

Gassho, Kyotai
          sat today

Comment

• Kotei
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Mar 2015

Thank you.

Still have to learn this lesson inside and outside the zendo.

Gassho,
            Ralf sattoday.
            義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Byokan
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Apr 2014

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
              Lisa
              sat today
              展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
              Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Onkai
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo, for this talk and for sharing this practice through Treeleaf.

Gassho,
                Onkai
                SatToday
                美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Enjaku
                  • Jul 2016

Just watched this for the first time. Wonderful talk
                  Thank you.
                  Gassho,
                  Enjaku
                  Sat
                  援若

Comment

• Stevew
                    • Apr 2017

Thank you for this. It reminds me of this story: A student struggling with his meditation went to his teacher and said "My practice! Every time I sit it's miserable and I can't calm my mind!" The teacher smiled and said "Keep meditating. It will pass". And it did. After a time he began to experience deep concentration and even rapture when he sat. One day, no longer able to contain his joy, he went to his teacher and exclaimed "My practice! It's so wonderful I've never felt such bliss". Again, the teacher smiled and said "Keep meditating. It will pass."

What's next? More of the same. We grow old, get sick, and die. We experience an entire spectrum of emotion and create whole worlds of identity that we populate with very specific and inflexible models of self. I forget (oh how I try to forget!) that life on its own terms is messy and unsatisfactory. It is only my clinging to the hope that it could be otherwise that causes me suffering.

Thank you again for the reminder, Jundo.

Steve
                    Sat today (and oh the suffering!!!)

Comment

• Tom
                      • Jan 2013

Jundo,

Thanks. I love the teaching. It's very refreshing. But I'm confused (like it's the first time its ever happened to a Zen student.)

In sitting, and stillness, and the fog, maybe smog that comes up, you see all sorts of things and the way you've done things that aren'tin line with the precepts. Just living with those things seems to offer up a daily laundry list of things that need changing. You know, greed, aversion, fear, grasping, selfishness, all that Mara stuff.

I guess the take home message is don't cling to the Mara stuff? Watch it and let it go? But you need to actively do things sometime and make specific changes, mostly to personal habits. Isn't that change?

Tom
                      Sat
                      Last edited by Tom; 04-11-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tom
                        Jundo,

Thanks. I love the teaching. It's very refreshing. But I'm confused (like it's the first time its ever happened to a Zen student.)

In sitting, and stillness, and the fog, maybe smog that comes up, you see all sorts of things and the way you've done things that aren'tin line with the precepts. Just living with those things seems to offer up a daily laundry list of things that need changing. You know, greed, aversion, fear, grasping, selfishness, all that Mara stuff.

I guess the take home message is don't cling to the Mara stuff? Watch it and let it go? But you need to actively do things sometime and make specific changes, mostly to personal habits. Isn't that change?

Tom
                        Sat
                        Hi Tom,

Yes, just because "there is nothing to change" about us does --not-- mean that we may not have to change some things about us to realize this "nothing to change."

Look at this talk and see if it helps ...

Soto Zen folks say that every moment of Zazen is complete, sacred, a perfect action, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away. When we sit Zazen, we are a Buddha sitting. In such way, we come to taste all of this life and world as sacred, a jewel, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away from it. Perfectly just-what-it-is.

But we have to be very cautious here, not misunderstand:

... Saying “we are already Buddha” is not enough if we don’t realize that, act like so!

Simple, exaggerated example …

Perhaps a fellow sits down to Zazen for the first time who is a violent man, a thief and alcoholic. He hears that “all is Buddha just as it is“, so thinks that Zen practice means “all is a jewel just as it is, so thus maybe I can simply stay that way, just drink and beat my wife and rob strangers“. Well, no, because while a thief and wife-beater is just that … a thief and wife-beater, yet a Buddha nonetheless … still, someone filled with such anger and greed and empty holes to fill in their psyche is not really “at peace with how things are” (or he would not beat and steal and need to self-medicate). In other words, he takes and craves and acts from anger and frustration because he does not truly understand “peace with this life as it is” … because if he did, he would not need to be those violent, punishing ways.

If the angry, violent fellow truly knew “completeness“, truly had “no hole in need of filling“, “nothing lacking” everything “complete just as it is” … well, he simply would not have need to do violence, stealing and take drugs to cover his inner pain.

This is a non-self-fulfilling Catch-22.
                        Soto Zen folks say that every moment of Zazen is complete, sacred, a perfect action, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away. When we sit Zazen, we are a Buddha sitting. In such way, we come to taste all of this life and world as sacred, a jewel, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away from it.

The excess desire, anger, jealousy, divided thinking is precisely what keeps the person from experiencing and realizing such completeness and "nothing to change."

As I posted elsewhere today: Remember that Dogen not only said that, in Practice, there is "no place to go and nothing to attain."

He also said "Practice never ends" and is in each moment, of endless depths. A Koan.

Gassho, J

SatToday
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tom
                          • Jan 2013

Many thanks. This'll be my koan for the evening walk: "This is a non-self-fulfilling Catch-22."

Comment

• Geika
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Jan 2010

"Nothing in need of changing," does not mean, "don't change what you want to change." Another aspect of practice is seeing in the moment what needs to be done.

Gassho, sat today
                            求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                            I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Ugrok
                              • Sep 2014

I wonder, reading this, if trying to literally answer the question could not be a remedy to the question. Like : "what is next" ? I mean, what is it really, what does next mean ?

Gassho,

Uggy,

Sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ugrok
                                I wonder, reading this, if trying to literally answer the question could not be a remedy to the question. Like : "what is next" ? I mean, what is it really, what does next mean ?

Gassho,

Uggy,

Sat today
                                Even thinking about that. huh? What does all your thinking about stuff, such as "what is 'what is next''' mean?

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
                                Last edited by Jundo; 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM.
                                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...